Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #1121
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHaiMark View Post
I don't have the rock hard abs to pull it off!
You heard of spray-on...
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #1122
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Aluminum frames, is what soda cans are made of. Wood frames, is what toothpicks are made of.

Is the material cost what matters or the final product properties?

I prefer aluminum because of the finish and that it won't warp due to heat or humidity. But I do use wood frames on some artwork where the finish better fits the art.
IMO both. Cost always matters to me and when you stop and think about it, material cost and the final products properties are usually intrisically linked. The cheaper a material is, you usually see a decline in the quality of the products properties.

And cost matters even more when your paying extremely high prices for extremely cheap materials. Most people in here likely wouldn't believe the cost that Sideshow is paying for these frames given the quantity they are buying. Pretty much the only polymer used more than Polystyrene in modern society is Polyethylene. You cant walk 10 feet these days without running into tons of products made from both of those materials. Food packaging, appliances, toys, car parts, electronics decives, home insulation, CD & DVD cases, and the list goes on and on and on. Even styrofoam and shipping peanuts are made from Polystyrene.

And its also one of the worst plastics environmentally speaking. The "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" is largely made up from polystyrene products and so are landfills. So for those that are environemntally conscious regarding the products they buy, polystyrene products are some of the worst products you can buy. Styrofoam alone can take over a million years to break down.

Printing, matting, and framing for me has always been about keeping the focus on the artwork itself. Thats why I VASTLY prefer plain white borders on prints with no graphics or titles and plain white matt board and classic black wood frames. Its showcases the artwork beautifully without actually detracting from the artwork, but as always to each thier own. If people are content buying Sideshow's frames then that is all that matters.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #1123
AC_808
Hercules

Received the email yesterday. My Huntress EX will be charged this coming Tuesday.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #1124
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHaiMark View Post
I don't have the rock hard abs to pull it off!
Even better.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #1125
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
IMO both. Cost always matters to me and when you stop and think about it, material cost and the final products properties are usually intrisically linked.
The cheaper a material is, you usally see a decline in the quality of the products properties.

And cost matters even more when your paying extremely high prices for extremely cheap material. Most people in here likely wouldn't believe the cost that Sideshow is paying for these frames given the quantity they are buying. Pretty much the only polymer used more than Polystyrene in modern society is Polyethylene. You cant walk 10 feet these days without running into tons of products made from both of those materials. Food packaging, appliances, toys, car parts, electronics decives, home insulation, CD & DVD cases, and the list goes on and on and on. Even styrofoam and shipping peanuts are made from Polystyrene.

And its also one of the worst plastics environmentally speaking. The "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" is largely made up from polystyrene products and so are landfills. So for those that are environemntally conscious regarding the products they buy, polystyrene products are some of the worst products you can buy. Styrofoam alone can take over a million years to break down.

Printing, matting, and framing for me has always been about keeping the focus on the artwork itself. Thats why I VASTLY prefer plain white borders on prints with no graphics or titles and plain white matt board and classic black wood frames. Its showcases the artwork beautifully without actually detracting from the artwork, but as always to each thier own. If people are content buying Sideshow's frames then that is all that matters.
I use black wood frames for all my artwork as well. You can also get real wood and glass frames for way less than what Sideshow sells their framed prints for.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #1126
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Really happy! Mine just converted! Woowhoooo!!!!
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #1127
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Congrats! Mine is charging Tuesday.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #1128
jimjimmyjones85
Birdman

They can keep that print. F that.

$250 ! LMAO.

Epson inks.

Not even a screen print.

And a cheap frame.
jimjimmyjones85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #1129
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QX403 View Post
I use black wood frames for all my artwork as well. You can also get real wood and glass frames for way less than what Sideshow sells their framed prints for.
Good choice! IMO, one can never go wrong with classic black wood frames. As for pricing, $160 for a polystyrene frame and a low quality piece of acrylic is defintely pretty high, although some of that cost has to go to paying empoyee's to put them together and packaging them up to be shipped out.

IMO, the biggest piece of the puzzle regarding the pricing for Sideshow's framing is the matt board. Sideshow goes to great lengths to explain the quality of the actual print itself because in the case of the print they are actually using top of the line materials and that is something that they want to advertise. They state that they use Epson archival inks, that the paper is 100% cotton, acid-free, and they even give you the brand and the weight of the paper (matte Museo Rag 300GSM).

But when it comes to the matt board, all they state is that they use a "custom double mat design". There is no other information given regarding the matt board. Is it acid free, archival, 2 ply, 4 ply, 8 ply, what brand are they using, etc. There is a HUGE price difference between lower end matt board and top of the line matt board and if Sideshow was using high quality matt board, why wouldn't they advertise it just like they do with their prints?

The fact that they don't give any details in regards to the quality of the matt board tends to make me think they are using a lower quality matt board, likely acid free at best and not archival. And that actually matters more to me than any other aspect of Sideshow's framing, including the price. Cheap frames and cheap acrylic won't actually hurt the print itself, but low quality matt board can absolutely destroy a print over time. I matt and frame all of my own prints so I would never buy a framed Sideshow print one way or the other, but my point is that there is a serious question mark hanging over the head of Sideshow's framing, that being the quality of the matt board they are using. I would hate to see people's prints start yellowing a few years down the road when their paying $250.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #1130
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I'm excited to get this piece (and Cheetah EX, which only has one payment left). Huntress EX is charging tomorrow for me.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote