Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #111
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I would love to see a similar pose in 1/4 scale. Very elegant.

Congrats, it looks awesome.

The PF will look amazing in your setup.
Thanks man, The base may be to big for that shelf but where there's a will there's a way.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #112
COI

First we get the 'Danger Gals', now Aspen Mathews...being a 1990s comic fan is finally paying off.

We used to wait a year in-between issues of Fathom and Danger Girl, so it's fitting that we've had to wait 20 years for decent collectibles.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #113
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Nuts, it looks better then I thought it would... The portrait is gorgeous... I'm heavily leaning towards a must buy....

As for the Turner influence, yeah I agree, I don't see a lot there, they've kind of made it more realistic looking vs. the comic look.
Yeah, the portrait in particular is much more rounded than Turner's art. They went with realism over the comic style.

Quote:
First we get the 'Danger Gals', now Aspen Mathews...being a 1990s comic fan is finally paying off.

We used to wait a year in-between issues of Fathom and Danger Girl, so it's fitting that we've had to wait 20 years for decent collectibles.
LOL, I so remember that. That and Lady Mechanika. Every time a new issue came out it was like the yearly event!!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #114
COI

I see enough of Turner in the piece to get that kick of nostalgia, but it's not identical to Turner, which is probably better for a 1/4 scale sculpt. I've never felt that Turner's style lent itself to sculpture very well.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #115
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Yeah, the portrait in particular is much more rounded than Turner's art. They went with realism over the comic style.
For me its like the perfect blend of comic and realism, i love it. Definitely in my top 10 female portraits list.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #116
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
I see enough of Turner in the piece to get that kick of nostalgia, but it's not identical to Turner, which is probably better for a 1/4 scale sculpt. I've never felt that Turner's style lent itself to sculpture very well.
I start to get a Turner feel with this angle

but straight on it just feels more like a generic Fathom than one really wanting to depict Turner's style. And while I tend to agree in regards to Turner's style and sculptures, the lifesize bronze Fathom statue by Moore really is one of the most beautiful pieces of sculpture I have ever seen and it nails Turner's more v shaped jawline perfectly.

If only I had $24,500 laying around!!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #117
slynger
Hellboy

This thing looks great.

Fathom was the first comic that I truly collected and it really introduced me to spotting different art styles as I was quite young.

Sad that Turner was taken when he was, but this piece looks all sorts of great.
slynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #118
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
And while I tend to agree in regards to Turner's style and sculptures, the lifesize bronze Fathom statue by Moore really is one of the most beautiful pieces of sculpture I have ever seen and it nails Turner's more v shaped jawline perfectly.

If only I had $24,500 laying around!!
Clayburn Moore is a master, and it's really frustrating that we don't get more of his work, and that factories have botched his work so many times.

He's still the only sculptor who has managed to really capture the essence of Frazetta (IMO). I don't see anyone ever beating his 'Barbarian'.

I even had those 6" Witchblade action figures Moore sculpted back in the day, and I've always hated 6" action figures. That's how good of a sculptor he is.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #119
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Clayburn Moore is a master, and it's really frustrating that we don't get more of his work, and that factories have botched his work so many times.

He's still the only sculptor who has managed to really capture the essence of Frazetta (IMO). I don't see anyone ever beating his 'Barbarian'.

I even had those 6" Witchblade action figures Moore sculpted back in the day, and I've always hated 6" action figures. That's how good of a sculptor he is.
Couldn't agree more. Just look at this casting:

That's just F'ING Brilliant!!
Old 10-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #120
COI

Yep, just stunning, stunning work.

I've fantasized about maxing out my credit card for that life-size. I'm almost grateful I don't have anywhere to put it, because the money alone might not have stopped me.