Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #31
tonytiger
The X-Men

Been collecting for awhile and my take is this, High ES is the major blame here..yes prices are affecting the hobby too.. But most collectors have Zero patience! With so many statues on the after market, they keep lowering their prices to sell it faster because they want to buy the next new thing.This hobby is going to be for the well offs and the average collectors who can't afford to loose on their statues and buy the higher new price statues will be squeeze out..This is like the housing market crash all over again but with statues.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #32
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
I would be glad to get half what I paid on most of my pieces, I don't care to list them anymore. I have 25 statues listed on Sideshow Freaks, once in a while I get an offer where I would be glad to get 1/4 of what I paid when I ship
they act like I should be glad and thank them.
That's why I don't bother with any forum or facebook BST. Those items wanted postings are a complete joke. Everyone wants a "good price" which translates to less than retail plus free shipping. I'll just stick to eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
The market is flooded and Sideshow especially has grown too large of a head. Shady tactics (Thanos still in stock) mediocre QC for years, poor packaging- all these issues have been around for years and not one change besides price hikes. Instead we get SS live and other employees on here spamming how awesome every piece is.
That's every company. Try posting something negative here about CC or XM piece. The wolves will be out for blood. It's quite hilarious because the same thing use happen with PCS and now look at where they are at.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #33
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

There are SO many people in this hobby who buy with the intention to sell later, of course nothing will hold retail value.

This is the Largest piece of this puzzle which baffles me - Buying something of such value, only with the intent to sell later. Especially something so niche, fragile, as well as cumbersome.

If at any point I wanted to sell any of my OG pieces, it would be a nightmare, IMO.

Packing, shipping, insurance, Paypal fees, plus your TIME! What do you make at work 20/ hour, 30/hour? more? Selling takes hours of your time! Possibly Gas milage to and from the store?

I just can not see how someone thinks that they can buy a statue and than redeem every cent spent on said item, months, years later. Why buy it in the first place?! Baffling?!

Very few things are truly rare or hold "collectible" value. If you can search the item and find it online in seconds for sale, it's not rare. The more people who buy with the intent to only sell later, means 99% of these statues struggle to hold any "collectible" value.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #34
dechirico7
The Flash

I have a goal to be done with 1/4 scale pieces this year.
It is 25% due to the constant price inflation, 10% the hate for poor resale, 65% due to lack of display space.
Like usual, I have multiple pieces on pre-order, but no space for them.
So, I decided after this year there is really no point for me to buy that scale anymore.

I am, however, going to continue my dream line...The Fairytale fantasy pieces.

This post is a cry for help, lol.
In hopes that you all will help me stick to my plan.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #35
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
I think it is, and that is how i started out. Just 1/6 scale. Easier on space management, more characters, variations,price etc. But then i bought one PF realized the difference if quality and selection choices.
If the price is right I'm actually looking to jump into XM 1/6 line and have my eye on a few tweeter head pieces.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #36
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
I have been able to hold off on purchases and honestly, with these prices, it just makes it easier. It is hard to pass up on some of these statues but at the same time they aren’t worth the price when they can’t hold the value soon after they come out.
Before all these sculptors went digital, there was something very special about these pieces. If these pieces were made with that kind of effort/work- the prices wouldn’t seem so bad. But that’s not the case.
Prices have only made me more selective but has done little to wane interest lol.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #37
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I’m on my way out shortly . Ive had a list for a while of pieces I just love and must have. Scales I collected are a mash 1/10, 1/6,1/5,1/4 and dioramas to get a nice balanace amoung my statues . I feel I’m just about there. The Batman superpowers Tweeterhead line ( heroes & villains ) is where I’ll stop.

It’s been fun
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #38
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I’m on my way out shortly . Ive had a list for a while of pieces I just love and must have. Scales I collected are a mash 1/10, 1/6,1/5,1/4 and dioramas to get a nice balanace amoung my statues . I feel I’m just about there. The Batman superpowers Tweeterhead line ( heroes & villains ) is where I’ll stop.

It’s been fun
There will be more in the future that you love and must have, collecting is a downward spiral and there is no out until your completely out(meaning you've sold off your collection)subby.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #39
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
There are SO many people in this hobby who buy with the intention to sell later, of course nothing will hold retail value.

This is the Largest piece of this puzzle which baffles me - Buying something of such value, only with the intent to sell later. Especially something so niche, fragile, as well as cumbersome.

If at any point I wanted to sell any of my OG pieces, it would be a nightmare, IMO.

Packing, shipping, insurance, Paypal fees, plus your TIME! What do you make at work 20/ hour, 30/hour? more? Selling takes hours of your time! Possibly Gas milage to and from the store?

I just can not see how someone thinks that they can buy a statue and than redeem every cent spent on said item, months, years later. Why buy it in the first place?! Baffling?!

Very few things are truly rare or hold "collectible" value. If you can search the item and find it online in seconds for sale, it's not rare. The more people who buy with the intent to only sell later, means 99% of these statues struggle to hold any "collectible" value.
True on a lot of your points BUT other factors all play out in collecting anything.Space as someone already said,Never did i plan on buying this many statues.Then comes to buying the wrong line or loose interested in that line and refocusing your collection.Also money, maybe you need to sell for it. I've made so many mistakes in this hobby it still drives me crazy.Like the saying in star wars..Its a TRAP!
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #40
built2shred
Phoenix

It might not be a customer bubble, but I do think for companies there is a bubble out there, to much product not enough customers. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few smaller companies go under... I think we might of lost Yamato but it's only speculation so far.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote