Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 11-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Rise of the Tomb Raider Rant

When I found out that Rise of the Tomb Raider was on its way, I was ecstatic. I have played literally every iteration of this game and loved all of them, flaws and all. Then I heard that the game was to be an X-Box exclusive and all the wind went out of my sails. I am a PlayStation guy through and through, again having owned every version of the platform. To have my favourite franchise ripped away from me by a backroom deal between studios and developers is nothing short of a kick in the balls. This is wrong on so many levels.

Right from the beginning, before there was even an X-Box to be had, Tomb Raider has been available on PS (and PC). All the way through the franchise, it has been a multi-platform game, accessible to anyone. Why change that now? What would prompt the IP owners to allow anyone to stonewall potentially more than half of their loyal fanbase? It boggles the mind that the deal was even suggested let alone put into action.

Newer news suggests that the exclusivity of the title is a timed deal, with the game coming to other platforms after a set period of time as a solely X-Box title. This does not make it any better at all for the folks who choose other platforms to play the game. First off, we still have to wait. Secondly, we have to listen to and read about how cool the game is, including, no doubt, a ton of spoilers, from X-Box players who get the game first. Seriously not cool.

Now, I understand exclusive properties. There are dozens of them. The Gran Turismo and Forza, for example, are exclusive to PlayStation and X-Box respectively. I'm down with that as they are in direct competition with each other, and started their franchise lives as exclusive titles. However, to suddenly, even if temporarily, take a title that has always been available to users of all platforms and turn it into an exclusive property is just plain wrong, let alone bad business. I'm officially pissed.

Thoughts?
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

It's coming out next year on PS4. And I wouldn't be surprised if it has extra stuff.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I have far less of a problem with ROTTR being held to one console for now, but to be released -- in full -- to all consoles. I feel your pain because you're a rabid fan, but think of this scenerio...

What is far worse business and completely unfair to the consumer is the stunt Bungie pulled with Destiny.

As an XBone user, I was repeatedly shafted on weapons, armor, and strikes because I chose not be on the PS4. Why is it MY fault that Bungie has beef with Microsoft?! Why am I paying the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY for an incomplete game?!

It took a full year for Bungie to make the original Destiny game fully available to all platforms. Worse yet, by the time that happened the Taken King released which made all of those badass exotics worthless. Oh and to top it off -- again Bungie has withheld content from XBone user and PS people have it all. And again the same amount was paid by all console users.

At least when ROTTR comes to PS4 you know you will get the full game. Just try your best to avoid spoilers and remember that it's a solo game. You won't be behind leveling up a character in an MMO or missing out on weapons. It will still be wonderful when you get it. I doubt it will take a full year.

Do you want me to let you know how it is
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
vinnnie
Luke Cage

Got the game in today, cant wait till my kids are asleep so i can sink my teeth in this game. I own both consoles luckily.
vinnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Grayfox117
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I was also bummed when they first announced it as exclusive (timed or not) for Xbox last year. It made me laugh when Crystal Dynamics said they felt the decision to put Tomb raider on Xbox was to deliver the best experience possible and not the $$$ lol. Although I knew I was going to pick an Xbox eventually when Halo came out I still didn't like the idea. So fast forward to now and I picked up a Halo edition Xbox last month and Tomb raider this week. Still the exclusivity seems shady plus I believe MS is the publisher of the game so I don't know how that will affect the possibility of release on PS4
Grayfox117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I stopped playing TR when they took out the larger environmental puzzles and just turned it into a shooter.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
vinnnie
Luke Cage

So I just started the game after it installed an update. After the first scene I'm staring at a black screen for a while now :|
vinnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I have far less of a problem with ROTTR being held to one console for now, but to be released -- in full -- to all consoles. I feel your pain because you're a rabid fan, but think of this scenerio...

What is far worse business and completely unfair to the consumer is the stunt Bungie pulled with Destiny.

As an XBone user, I was repeatedly shafted on weapons, armor, and strikes because I chose not be on the PS4. Why is it MY fault that Bungie has beef with Microsoft?! Why am I paying the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY for an incomplete game?!

It took a full year for Bungie to make the original Destiny game fully available to all platforms. Worse yet, by the time that happened the Taken King released which made all of those badass exotics worthless. Oh and to top it off -- again Bungie has withheld content from XBone user and PS people have it all. And again the same amount was paid by all console users.

At least when ROTTR comes to PS4 you know you will get the full game. Just try your best to avoid spoilers and remember that it's a solo game. You won't be behind leveling up a character in an MMO or missing out on weapons. It will still be wonderful when you get it. I doubt it will take a full year.

Do you want me to let you know how it is
Yeah, that was a jerkwad maneuver too. I don't understand any of these freakin' games that they play with us. It's almost like they want their target audiences, or portions of them to be pissed off all the time. I fail to see how that is healthy for either the gamer or the developer. Here's an idea, and I know it's way outside the box: Keep all of the customers on every platform fully supplied with the full versions of everything at the same time. That way everyone will buy more of your product much more happily. But hey, what do I know about business?

And no....I do not want you to tell me how it is. In fact, if you do, I may have to show you my Tomb Raider climbing pick up close!!!
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

I feel your pain to an extent. I was crushed when Sony paid Capcom tons of cash to make Street Fighter V exclusive to the PS4.

At least the game you really want is eventually coming to the console you have. I don't have a PS4 and I'm not buying one for a single game. I'm hoping with the backwards compatibility that recently got released for Xbox One that they'll re-issue SSFII HDR and Ultra SF IV. At least I'll be able to play those.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I'm right there with you DarkKi9hT. I've jumped on my soapbox countless times regarding this particular topic. As a fan that bought the original reboot day one on PS3, encouraged my friends to buy and play it as well, and then continued to double dip on the PS4 for the Definitive Edition, I was in complete shock.

I don't mind exclusives, when they're IPs/franchises that were conceived as exclusives. Like you said, Tomb Raider has traditionally been developed as a multiplat franchise, available to all players on all formats. The very reason this sequel exists, is because of a cross-generational game that was sold across multiple platforms. Shutting out over half of those fans that helped support that content to begin with is just infuriating.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote