Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
docmario
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

SIMPLE Question and need help

Hey guys,

i m very noobie when it comes to painting stuff. I need your advise from pro..

anyway, here's the situation.

I bought old captain america PF, n noticed the HELMET wings got cracked n chipped. Since the cracks were clean one, so i decided to use epoxy resin glue to put the pieces together. it looks good now.

but the problem is I WANT TO PAINT THE WINGS WHITE AGAIN.

AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TYPE OF PAINT TO USE FOR THE WINGS.

Yesterday i decided to buy oil based paint safflower titanium white, and painted the wings white, without sanding the wings or use any primer.

But as we all know oil based paint took long time to dry off and i heard issues with paints might crack in long term.

So i m asking for ur help guys.. i want to be simple n not too complicated with this reparation.

So do u think i need to sand the wings surface,use primer or just plain acrylic white paint?

and if u could please guide me step by step on how to do it.

thanks again guys,
docmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

If the crack was clean and you glued them to the point where there was no seemline you could just paint over it with acrylic paints.

If there is a seam line you could sand down that seamline and still paint over it.

When dealing with a small area such as caps wings, there is no need to go thru the hassle of primer, sanding and painting. Just fix the crack and use some acrylic paint and you are fine.

Tamiya paints are nice and thick acrylics that can be used with a airbrush or paints that can cover those wings in one stroke of paint. Plus they tend not to crack when dried.

I would stay away from oil based paints on a statue unless you know how to deal with them, handle them and cure the paints correctly.

At this point if you used oil paints on the wings, its a pretty good bet things are gonna get messy trying to sand it down now and then if you miss some of that oil paint primer or acrylic may not stick to well. but if you can get all that oil paint off, primer wont be needed, just acrylic white over the wings.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
docmario
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

thx bro!!..i actualy decided to go with enamel paint..its glossy polar white enamel. Any drawbacks? pro n cons about enamel paints?
docmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Enamel will be fine. Only drawbacks is fumes from the paint untill dried and there may be a reaction to it if you use testors dull cote on it. Some dull cotes will react to enamels i think, and im not sure but acrylic dull cotes may not stick to enamels to well.

But enamel is strong enough to be fine on its own without a dull cote. So it will be fine as is.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Enamel will be fine. Only drawbacks is fumes from the paint untill dried and there may be a reaction to it if you use testors dull cote on it. Some dull cotes will react to enamels i think, and im not sure but acrylic dull cotes may not stick to enamels to well.

But enamel is strong enough to be fine on its own without a dull cote. So it will be fine as is.
Madness!
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote