Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I wish I would have bought more. It almost seems like they were made to order.

I gave the framer specific instructions not to cover up the Marvel logo and edition # but you can see how well they listened. They gave me a discount on the framing so I gladly kept it as is.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER
I wish I would have bought more. It almost seems like they were made to order.

I gave the framer specific instructions not to cover up the Marvel logo and edition # but you can see how well they listened. They gave me a discount on the framing so I gladly kept it as is.
Me too. I think these cost me something like $40 or so, and when I got them, they were #8/100 or something ridiculously low like that. And I was poor enough at the time that I didn't want to buy any others. I guess I was lucky to get the two that I got. (This was the very beginning of my Alex Ross collection--my first piece was his Spiderman/Green Goblin litho, and these two pieces were second and third.)

That's a good tip about them leaving the logo and edition # showing through the matte. I'll try to remember that when I get these in someplace!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

While I admit I have an FF bias, that is one of the nicest Ross pieces ever.
Thanks for posting pics.

I didn't know a canvas edition was released (for 40$, no less!)
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #14
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
While I admit I have an FF bias, that is one of the nicest Ross pieces ever.
Thanks for posting pics.

I didn't know a canvas edition was released (for 40$, no less!)
Like I said, it was really limited, and not very popular, either (probably because Ross wasn't a huge name yet--Marvels had really just hit only a year before) and because it was hooked into the sinking ship that was Marvel Online (at the time).

I wish I had a complete listing of the canvas lithos they offered, but I just don't remember.

It is a great piece, though, isn't it?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #15
HFA
U talkin' to me?

The ones I have here are actually an edition of 500, not 100. I don't think they ever completed any of the editions, though. I have only seen the 3 pieces, and never any Silver Surfer piece. These were originally painted around the time he did the Marvels series, but really didn't have anything to do with it...just his versions of classic covers. There should be a "Marvel Online" logo on the piece by the number. None of them were signed by Ross (officially), though I had mine signed at a convention, and certainly others have as well. Alex never liked how they turned out. If you compare the Xmen piece to the real giclees that Dynamic Forces did for us years later, its like night and day. These were really poor quality canvas transfers.
HFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
massf
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER
Here it is:
wow!!! what a great piece!

can't believe it only cost around $100.....
massf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #17
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFA
The ones I have here are actually an edition of 500, not 100. I don't think they ever completed any of the editions, though. I have only seen the 3 pieces, and never any Silver Surfer piece. These were originally painted around the time he did the Marvels series, but really didn't have anything to do with it...just his versions of classic covers. There should be a "Marvel Online" logo on the piece by the number. None of them were signed by Ross (officially), though I had mine signed at a convention, and certainly others have as well. Alex never liked how they turned out. If you compare the Xmen piece to the real giclees that Dynamic Forces did for us years later, its like night and day. These were really poor quality canvas transfers.
I'll have to check mine when I get back to my office in August. I could have sworn they were lower than 500. There is a Marvel Online logo on there, though, I recall that.

I don't know a lot about transfer quality, but I like these.