Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 AM   #11
Marvelcap
Fantastic Four

I emailed Steve Morger in July of 2019 and was told that Frank Cho's at home commissions run $3000. It will be interesting to see if that has changed.
Marvelcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I still haven't heard anything. I imagine Steve got a ton of emails.

Jesus, if MarvelCap is right, I think I have to be out. I would feel guilty and my husband would KILL me if I spent 3K on a commission. I know it's art, but he would not be happy. PLease don't be 3K. 1K...now I still feel bad, but I'm in.

My 5 person (remaining) grail list stands at: Cho, Adams, Anacleto, Byrne (I want a Storm from the master), and Andy Kubert

I wouldn't turn down art from others (obviously), but those 5 hold a special place.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelcap View Post
I emailed Steve Morger in July of 2019 and was told that Frank Cho's at home commissions run $3000. It will be interesting to see if that has changed.
If I was drinking something I'd have spat it out all over my screen reading that.

I was hoping for basic sketch of Power Girl by him at somewhat reasonable rate. No way I can come even close to $3000, especially right now.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'm holding out hopes there are "options" for commissions. Let's keep our fingers crossed kiddos!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

yikes, $3000? I have never bought a sketch or original art but on average, how much would a sketch cost if an artist is at a Comic book convention and you wanted a sketch of a character? I guess each artist would charge different prices though.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
IG-64
Justice League

The going rate last I checked was $3,000 for a full figure, slightly larger than usual format (like 14x17ish or something). Fully inked, minimal backgrounds. . I've been after Steve for a while to try and get one, but that's a tough trigger to pull in this current climate.
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
The going rate last I checked was $3,000 for a full figure, slightly larger than usual format (like 14x17ish or something). Fully inked, minimal backgrounds. That's a tough trigger to pull in this current climate...
I think for most that would be a tough trigger to pull in any climate but if Frank (or any comic book artist) can get that money for their work then more power to them. Considering we do see someone setting up a GoFundMe page for comic artists every so many months I can understand charging top dollar (after thinking about it).
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
IG-64
Justice League

Oh yeah, tough no doubt in any climate, but like many people stated, Frank's one of my last remaining big gets and the opportunity doesn't come along often, so...
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #19
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

If the 3K pieces are pencil and ink on oversized board, there may be hope for a much small blank sketch cover.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 AM   #20
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Now I balked at the price, but Frank is worth it. My god, if 3K was for one of his ballpoint pen pieces - I would be damn tempted because I am just in awe whenever I see one.

I do like how artists are drawing for charity. Did anybody else see Adi Granov's STUNNING Emma Frost he has up for auction? If not, do yourself a favor and find it. I don't even like Emma and I wish I could own it. But he put it up for auction and will be donating the sale to another artist in need. Total class act.

Hmmm.....art charitable art purchases tax deductible?