Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #221
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I do let my kids occasionally get the better of me in games but I don't make it a habit because they really do feel better when they overcome the odds and win...lol. For example, if we're playing soccer, it usually comes down to a 10-9 nail-biter win... lol. Boy, they sure do love beating their daddy... and that's the point, right? If it were too easy, it would lose much of its meaning. However, I have seen a shift in this mentality in local pre-14 organized baseball and soccer games, i.e., everyone gets to play equally and there's little sense of competition so no one's feelings get hurt (except for those who actually do wish to compete).

What does this have to do with Disney? I think on some level, there's this concern that content will be dumbed-down or too adversity-free. Perhaps we need a full generation to get a better sense of the repercussions of that kind of helicopter parenting or presenting of ideas.
They seem to be doing fairly well when it comes to Marvel and Star Wars so far, I think they understand that some content needs to remain at least PG-13 for it to stand on it's own.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #222
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Is this going mean no more Family Guy jokes about Walt Disney being an antisemite. I wonder if those episodes will go into Disney vault forever.
LOL!! Those are gone forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Which is why I said I partially agree with the other comments. But you have to admit theres a lot of people out there that think they should just get to be assholes without anyone calling them out on it. Thats just not the way it works.
Totally agreed, I think we're on the same page here. We are on most things anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
So what you're saying is the game is not about life at all. That's cool....I wonder if Monopoly is still all about greed? I was always much better at Monopoly than Life -- and learned change making skills

I do think that Millennials have some valid points. It's almost impossible in a lot of areas to buy a "starter" home. Where the jobs are, the cost of living in insane. RENT is atrocious in the area I live. I work with a 25 year old guy. He and his boyfriend are both employed, hard working, but have student loans and can't pay those and save up for a down payment on a house with the cost of rent, gas, utilities, etc.

Working Class Poor is no joke and it's getting worse. While I agree that some Millennials are TOTALLY naïve as to how the world works....(and I was too when I didn't have money. I wanted everybody to help me, but now that I work -- Mine is Mine and you better bust your ass like I did)....some Millennials get is and really are trying, but can't beat the system.

But back to this Game of Life, do you still get a cheap plastic station wagon?
This is very true. I think the line that separates one millennial and the next is life experience. I was born in 84 so I think technically I'm a millennial? However I moved out at 21 with no formal college education and have busted my ass to get to where I am. AND despite my wife and I bringing in combined over 6 figures a year, we cannot buy a house (town houses within an hour drive of me go for almost 1 million). But I don't get offended about everything. I believe the harder you work the more you will succeed. I know the world does not owe me sh*t. But on the flip side my sister in law was born in 95 I think? So she is 22 but still lives at home, still in school, and while she has on ok head on her shoulders she does not understand how the world works. It seems when you talk to students especially who are early to mid-20's, they just have no idea how things work because they have been so insulated all their life. Even small things. I had to commute 3 hours each way to work a crappy job when I first moved out because the bus schedules did not align. My father, who has been an amazing father, made me do these things. My sis in law picks up her cell phone and calls her mom for a ride anywhere, anytime of day or night. I think I've gotten off track....

Somewhat bringing it back - Disney is a business. Unfortunately the mass market children, young adults, and the parents, all seem to be on this huge PC kick and so Disney will market to them. I don't believe Disney is forcing any PC messages, it is them responding to the marketplace.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:25 AM   #223
Gothamite
Phoenix

Not a done deal: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...disney-1107648

In their regulatory filing, Disney and Fox both acknowledge that if another company offers more money for Fox, the Fox board would accept the higher offer.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #224
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Not a done deal: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...disney-1107648

In their regulatory filing, Disney and Fox both acknowledge that if another company offers more money for Fox, the Fox board would accept the higher offer.
Even though, I can't imagine Disney wouldn't up their bid, right?
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #225
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Even though, I can't imagine Disney wouldn't up their bid, right?
That would depend on how expensive Fox's Sky TV bid makes it for Disney to buy Fox. Also, if Comcast is able to buy Sky TV, the company might be considered a better fit for Fox than Disney (no matter how badly Marvel and Star Wars fans want to see the X-Men and Episode IV joining the rest of their respective franchises).
Old 05-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #226
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

It's inevitable. The House of Mouse will have their prize.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #227
KELPIE
New Republic

KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #228
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
LOL!!!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #229
Gothamite
Phoenix

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I82I7

Comcast has always valued Fox's share prices higher than Disney, which would give Fox shareholders better value.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #230
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I despise Comcast, so I hope The Mad Mouse Titan gets Fox's soul stone.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote