Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
If I was a child of African descent, I could see myself going crazy for this as it would be a protagonist I could finally see through the eyes of, just like the Wonder Woman effect. But adults, regardless of colour, can surely see that this doesn't really break any mould?
A lot of those adults were kids when Black Panther came out or sometime afterward and from what I understand he was a huge deal to them back then. Definitely broke the mould. I think this and the kids now seeing this character represent them is part of the spike in popularity. You have to remember, it's the first meaningful solo superhero film starring someone of African descent in the feature role in some time. It's also a largely black cast and releasing in the middle of Black History Month. It's a pretty big deal to a lot of people.

There's also the Marvel hype...which surprisingly hasn't seemed to wane much over the years. I'm not THAT excited to see it, but I'll probably be there, as I usually am.

He's also just a bad ass character. How could you not want to see Black Panther on the big screen?
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Isn't Black Panther the very first black superhero as the lead role from a live action Marvel or DC film?

I mean that alone is HUGE, haha.

The only real surprise to me is just HOW big the audience reaction is already which is great to hear.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
Isn't Black Panther the very first black superhero as the lead role from a live action Marvel or DC film?
there was Blade, and Steel. sure Steel might not be a good movie but it was still a movie.

and the honest answer as to why this movie is being so hyped is "diversity". yes BP is an awesome character but in "current year" the only thing that actually matters to most of the people losing their crap over him is that he isn't a white guy and to say otherwise is just lying to yourself.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Good questions. I am not sold either. I will be there to support it though. It is Marvel after all.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
there was Blade, and Steel. sure Steel might not be a good movie but it was still a movie.

and the honest answer as to why this movie is being so hyped is "diversity". yes BP is an awesome character but in "current year" the only thing that actually matters to most of the people losing their crap over him is that he isn't a white guy and to say otherwise is just lying to yourself.
To be honest I'm still only vaguely aware a Steel movie was ever made. I don't think I've ever seen an inkling of it except by folks joking about it and it taking after Shaq (I think).

Blade is a good point but it's also well, quite in the past. The last film being made a little over a decade ago, and the first now being almost two decades old.

"Diversity" is certainly a key factor. But it's not like every black character will get the same attention. He was certainly set up well in CA: Civil War. Black Panther is definitely beloved especially by well, people who are Black. That's a huge subset of viewers who might not otherwise care about watching whatever the newest Marvel movie is. And personally I think trying to write off Black Panther as "just" diversity is horribly minimizing him and why folks'll love him.

Personally I'd love it if Marvel did WAY more films with characters of color. It's not like they don't have them ready to build on in their history.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #16
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
And Catwoman!
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post

"Diversity" is certainly a key factor. But it's not like every black character will get the same attention. He was certainly set up well in CA: Civil War. Black Panther is definitely beloved especially by well, people who are Black. That's a huge subset of viewers who might not otherwise care about watching whatever the newest Marvel movie is. And personally I think trying to write off Black Panther as "just" diversity is horribly minimizing him and why folks'll love him.
for the record I'm not arguing against t'challa getting his own movie, he totally deserves it as a character i'm just commenting on why this particular movie is getting as hyped as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
And Catwoman!
totally forgot about that one. and sure he isn't DC or Marvel but there was also the Spawn movie.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #18
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
totally forgot about that one. and sure he isn't DC or Marvel but there was also the Spawn movie.
If the list is expanded to include all superhero movies and not just ones based on comics then there are others.

ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #19
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

No, it's not the first, but all of these are at least 10 years old and the only one I consider holding any weight is Blade...maybe Spawn. None of them can hold a candle to Black Panther as far as historical value. Black Panther has a 50 year following...first black superhero...it's not just about diversity. This holds historical significance and I think a good portion of the hype is due to that.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #20
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
If the list is expanded to include all superhero movies and not just ones based on comics then there are others.
heh, I was at least trying to keep it within the realm of preexisting characters. but sure why not!