Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Agoniste111
A day without sunshine is like... night.

SIDESHOW SHAAK TI PREMIUM FORMAT / PAINTING TIPS NEEDED

Hi,

Recently my Shaak Ti fell off the shelf

I'm pretty much done repairing it with epoxy but my main concern is regarding the paint.

Now, I bought a few tamiya paints for the task but I'm unsure about what to do step by step.

Basically I need to repaint her right foot in red and afterwards had a wash of grey/ smoke on it to create the dirt effect it previously had. It also had a
very thin layer of gloss I think.

Last night I created the right colour I needed and used thinner aswell, now that it dried up it feels a lil dull and I wonder if I should have used a primer beforehand? Also, If I recall I think in one of Vincevell vids he mentioned using some sort of polish to create the matte/gloss look PF sometimes have, I'd like to know more about that..
Thanks !
Agoniste111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoniste111 View Post
Hi,

Recently my Shaak Ti fell off the shelf

I'm pretty much done repairing it with epoxy but my main concern is regarding the paint.

Now, I bought a few tamiya paints for the task but I'm unsure about what to do step by step.

Basically I need to repaint her right foot in red and afterwards had a wash of grey/ smoke on it to create the dirt effect it previously had. It also had a
very thin layer of gloss I think.

Last night I created the right colour I needed and used thinner aswell, now that it dried up it feels a lil dull and I wonder if I should have used a primer beforehand? Also, If I recall I think in one of Vincevell vids he mentioned using some sort of polish to create the matte/gloss look PF sometimes have, I'd like to know more about that..
Thanks !
Did you clean the surface? Even if you did, I would still use a primer. It gives the paint something to stick to.

John (VinceVell) uses Pledge Floor Care (used to be Future Floor Polish)
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
He also uses Testors Dull Coat and some finishes by Garage Kit Colours.

You might want to ask him on here.
I am not sure what finish was used on this statue.
If it is like other Sideshow pieces, you probably want a matte or satin finish, not so much gloss.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote