Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
the Jade Monkey
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Collectible Insurance?

Hey Guys
With my collection easily surpassing the 5 figure mark, there's no way my current homeowners policy covers the loss of my statues. I have no idea how to go about insuring these things. Can someone please suggest a good company or option for collectible insurance?
Thanks.
the Jade Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Www.collectinsure.com

This is who I have mine insured with.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...=115115&page=2
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
the Jade Monkey

Thank you, sir.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Jade Monkey View Post
Hey Guys
With my collection easily surpassing the 5 figure mark, there's no way my current homeowners policy covers the loss of my statues. I have no idea how to go about insuring these things. Can someone please suggest a good company or option for collectible insurance?
Thanks.
You need to get a contents policy through your insurance company, or through a separate company. You need to have an itemized list of all your collectibles and the value of those collectibles and most importantly, you need to have proof that you own a particular item. I scan all of my reciepts and store them on 2 hard drives. I keep both of them off site, so if there is a fire they won't be damaged. I keep one in a safety deposit box and the back up at my studio. I also take pictures of my really valuable items like my statues and my photography equipment. The more proof you have, the better.

Most homeonwers policies have set limits for things like jewelry, collectibles, precious metals, and other valuable items like fur jackets, etc. You would be lucky if your got more than $1,000 out of your homeowner policy for your statues.

Make sure you get a replacement cost policy and not actual cash value, if the option is made available. With actual cash value they will actually depreciate the value of most of your items on a yearly basis, whereas replacement cost means they have to give you whatever it would cost to actually replace the item at the time of the loss. The difference between these 2 can be significant!!

There are insurance companies that actually focus on collectibles. American Collectors Inusrance or Collectibles Insurance Services are perfect examples:

http://americancollectors.com/plans/...licy-features/

http://collectinsure.com

Just google "content policy collectibles" and you should see at least 4-5 different companies come up.

Lastly, don't just blind buy a policy with set limits. With contents policies, its key to set the coverage amounts based on what you own and how much coverage you want to have. You want a policy that is specifically tailored to your exact needs and the only way you can do that is to make an itemized list of all the items you want covered. That way you know exacty how much coverage you need or want.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I didn't read all of this but I'm an insurance underwriter. If you want some info I don't mind, just inbox me.

Edit - just read OrangeCrush. He's got the idea. Whoever your home/tenant insurance is with should offer something that is sufficient for coverage, you shouldn't need to go to another company specifically for your collection.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I didn't read all of this but I'm an insurance underwriter. If you want some info I don't mind, just inbox me.

Edit - just read OrangeCrush. He's got the idea. Whoever your home/tenant insurance is with should offer something that is sufficient for coverage, you shouldn't need to go to another company specifically for your collection.
My experience is most home owners insurance don't cover breakage. Collectinsure does.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
My experience is most home owners insurance don't cover breakage. Collectinsure does.
I know State Farm does. My contents policy used to be through State Farm and I actually had to make a claim before for accidental damage. I had my 4x5 camera raised all the way up on my tripod and a big gust of wind came and blew it over. It did $1500 in damage to the camera and it broke the $3000 lens that I was using.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #9
the Jade Monkey

Thanks so much for all the info, guys!
My problem was, I had no idea what kind of policy I needed. My renters policy is only for $25,000 and my statues would have eaten up almost all of that.(if they were even covered) I do have pictures and receipts for everything, so now I just need to stop spending all my money on statues and do some insurance shopping.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I know State Farm does. My contents policy used to be through State Farm and I actually had to make a claim before for accidental damage. I had my 4x5 camera raised all the way up on my tripod and a big gust of wind came and blew it over. It did $1500 in damage to the camera and it broke the $3000 lens that I was using.
I'm not referring to breakage due to nature, I'm talking about "oops, I dropped my statue while cleaning it" or "damn, my housekeeper knocked over my statue".