View Poll Results: Your Favorite Version
Theatrical 1 33.33%
International 0 0%
Director's Cut 2 66.67%
Final Cut 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Blade Runner/Need Help

To those guys out there that know and like this film.

I just got the 30th anniversary Blu-Ray, question, which version(of the four that have the set) is the best? I mean, I plan to see them all but I want to start with the best.

Thanks.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Juggernaut
The Falcon

That's a though one.

I like them all for various reasons.

I went through the movies in chronological order.

That way I could check out the progress from movie to movie... Even then it's hard to notice all the differences... It was for me anyway.

I hope this answer is useful in some way.

If I remember correctly the only difference between the original and international, is the international have some more bloody scenes.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

There isnt a best version per se. It comes down to personal preferance.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Juggernaut
The Falcon

It all comes down to this.

Do you want a happy ending? LOL.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I was there in theaters in 1982 so perhaps I am biased, I recommend the theatrical cut first. That is how it first met the public and you can consume the other versions afterwards and decide for yourself which you prefer.

Assuming from your question this is your first viewing.
I recommend that you let this film set it's own pace,
watch at night, undisturbed beginning to end. It's very much an atmosphere film. The morality themes and questions the film asks do not beat you over the head and that is part of it's brilliance. They can be very subtle and you pick them up later.
Also, the film is not for everyone, it failed in theaters and took time to build it's following. It is however a Sci Fi masterpiece.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Well...I decided to take it easy and took Juggy advice to see them in order and just finished the theatrical version.

Like you mentioned Cess it is kinda my first viewing-I watched this movie when I was a pup so I just remember the premise of the story/bits of it-but now I found it immersive thanks to the 'slow' pacing of the film...

Thanks Jugg, Metroid and Cess.

I was really anxious to start with this movie....why so late to visit it you may ask...I was bothered by the different versions of it
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Regardless of the versions, and the differences are not very great really.... One of the things I love about this film is who is really the bad guy and who is the hero? One can easily see it as Batty as hero and be utterly correct. As a teen, I got chills when Batty grabs Deckard by the wrist and saves him and to this day that scene still resonates with me and has lost none of it's power.
The replicants struggling with new emotions also was relatable to me as a teen as well. Lots of great questions the film nudges one towards, what the nature of self really is.

I highly recommend reading the comic adaption of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". This is a word for word adaption of Philip K. Dick's original book, nothing is left out, it is quite different from the screenplay, far more grim than the film, which is saying a lot, but I think really helps to appreciate some of the themes in the film.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
law1349
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I just reached the director's cut for about the 4th time. To be honest, it took me this many viewings to really appreciate the story. Maybe when I was younger it was too boring to me. I've always loved the design of the movie either way. But I'm sorry, Harrison Ford did a terrible acting job in this movie. He's so bland and unresponsive. *spoiler* When Batty was breaking Deckard's fingers, Ford acted like he was just getting a manicure. Show some emotion!
law1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by law1349 View Post
I just reached the director's cut for about the 4th time. To be honest, it took me this many viewings to really appreciate the story. Maybe when I was younger it was too boring to me. I've always loved the design of the movie either way. But I'm sorry, Harrison Ford did a terrible acting job in this movie. He's so bland and unresponsive. *spoiler* When Batty was breaking Deckard's fingers, Ford acted like he was just getting a manicure. Show some emotion!
I've always thought of it as Deckard was sort of dead inside, he was becoming a machine himself was the theme in the book with all the killing. The replicants were more human than him in the film. This of course works only if you reject the Deckard as replicant view, which I personally do despite Scott's pronouncement he was years after the film came out. I thought it a reckless and ham handed thing for him to say.
And of course this was a mashup of detective film noir with Sci Fi, Deckard was a bit of a square. And Ford really needed to keep people from thinking Han Solo at that time. I think it fully intentional.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Ford's acting is a common criticism of the film, maybe the only bad thing about it.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote