Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
pdenham
Teen Titans

Handeling differences between Apoxy Sculpt and Apoxy Clay?

I've seen people refer to each, so I'm not sure which one is going to be right for my needs.

Does one or the other have the handling properties of something like super sculpy? The immediate application will be to extend the costume on a painted/finished polytstone figure to cover up more of the body. No complex modeling, save for possibly a few radiating wrinkles and a sharp precise edge for the new extensions.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
pdenham
Teen Titans

well, since no one seems to want to offer an opinion here, I'll post what I've been able to glean going back through this forum, in case some one else has this same question in the future.
Several people have commented that Apoxy sculpt has a consistency similar to bubblegum, and one of the CSRs at Aves herself told me that the sculpt is most like a putty.
Some people have commented that the clay is a grittier texture, but the CSR told me , of the two, it behaves more like clay and can take detailing better .

Of course this seems to contradict what most people here have experience using- the sculpt.

Even though my main use for it at the moment will be bulking up an armature prior to using the sculpy, I decided to go with the clay, because the comments about putty and a bubblegum like consistency led me to think that might be a little trickier to work with initially.

I'll update after I actually get the stuff in and try it, just in case any other newbs like me are curious.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Spazzy
Hercules

I just used apoxy clay yesterday, and not a huge fan of it, it has its uses, but you have to let it set before doing alot of detailing....and sticks alot when you are trying to flip to do the other side (depending on what you do) I have to sand down the piece today, and because it only has a short period of work time I am going to have to do more work today than I could have yesterday, if it was fixit.

I haven't used asculpt yet, but would like to try it, I like fixit so far best.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
pdenham
Teen Titans

thanks for chiming in Spazzy!

I got a 3 lb order of apoxy clay in the other day, but haven't opened it yet. Mostly what I think I'll be using the Aves products for is to set the armatures rigid, and lock the pose down, before I go in with a surface of sculpy. I'm thinking, rightly or wrongly, that it will be easier to concentrate on secondary and tertiary form in the sculpy if I already have that rigid, fixed support.

According to the brochure Aves sent, the fixit (sculpt) has a 4 hour work time. How are you using that- customizing already produced pieces or constructing something from scratch?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Spazzy
Hercules

using it for customizing and smaller things from scratch, to costly (and I am too slow) to do larger items from scratch.

I use plumbers epoxy putty on the joints (cheap stuff) to make it sturdy, then put a somewhat thin layer of sculpey on as a base and then boil it to harden and then work on the second layer with all the detail on top of that, seemed easier and cheaper to do.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote