Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 11-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #151
SDguy

I've been putting off any review of this piece since I don't want to come across like a downer. But at the end of the day, mine does have a small chip on one of the right forearm spikes (which I only noticed after posting the pics – it’s such a tiny chip in person). Blizzard said they have no exchanges available, and I can only return it. They told me I have 90 days, so I’m thinking about it, but I'm probably going to be returning it.

It’s a really nice piece overall, and I’m sure those that don’t own any other Arthas statue, and especially those that got this one for 50% off, no doubt will be very happy. The base is really nice/great design. The quality is good, except for a few things. The fit, pegs, magnets, all superb, as usual for Blizzard, as is the packaging.

These are my complaints:

First, the scale. He’s oversized for 1/5 and almost, but not quite 1/4. For me personally this is a big negative, because he looks weird with the other Blizzard 1/5 pieces (Thrall looks small, for example), which was my display goal here, since I have the 1/4 Catfish Studios piece displayed with my 1/4 Sylvanas piece from Lin Studios. I didn’t want two 1/4 Arthas statues.

Second, while the paint is well done, again, like is typical for Blizzard IME, it’s just a bland overall scheme. I get it, he’s not a colorful character, but without any ice on the base for contrast, the entire statue just looks frosted all over. At least the dark blue in the cape and loin cloth help. The gold trim on all his armor looks pretty good in pics, but to my eye, at least, is barely noticeable in person.

Third, the cape design. While the shape/flow and texture detail are great, the thickness and bottom edge lack of detail is bad. Again, I get it, they want to minimize breakage of a giant sculpted cape during shipping. But the design suffers for this.

Fourth, the plastic parts. I’m usually all for using less breakable material for smaller parts, but the very flimsy plastic they chose, and for some pretty big parts to be honest, is disappointing.

Fifth, and this is by far the biggest fail for me, the pose/design with Frostmourne jutting out taking up an extra 10-12 inches of space. Even if you have the room, which I do as he would be displayed on the top of a cabinet, it’s so unnecessary, and just looks weird. I feel like Blizzard also thought it looked weird, so they randomly added the jutting out sword and ax from the base to try to (unsuccessfully) balance out Frostmourne. With the bodies in the base sculpted so tight to the shape of the overall base, the jutting weapons are just another failed design decision for me. And to top it all off, Frostmourne being front and center the way it is, they probably should have made it out of metal. Again, I’m not one that usually cares about this, but when you use flimsy plastic and the mold isn’t great, so it has uneven areas making it actually look like plastic, it’s not OK for me.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #152
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
SDGuy, I think I recall you saying you have the Catfish studios Arthas. How is this guy in size compared to that one? Any pics of them side by side?
I'll try, but they are both heavy AF. Catfish is 50 lbs, and pretty sure Blizzard is close to it, so I don't really love moving either around LOL
Old 11-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #153
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

The frosted over scheme is what turned me off when I saw people’s videos and pictures. He looks too greyed out. I saw enough to know it wasn’t bad lighting. I’m not crazy about the SS piece because it’s black with white glitter but the iconic pose and heft especially the cape makes it a winner. Great points thought. If you don’t own an Arthas and don’t do unlicensed it’s this or pray you find an affordable SS piece.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #154
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I'll try, but they are both heavy AF. Catfish is 50 lbs, and pretty sure Blizzard is close to it, so I don't really love moving either around LOL
No need my man. Your review answered the internal question I had.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #155
SDguy

Here he is with Thrall, at least, for some comparison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211119_064044.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	143975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211119_064105.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	143976  
Old 11-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #156
SDguy

I can get some daylight pics later. I'm not even cheating by using the Catfish's lights

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211119_070255 (1).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	143977  
Old 11-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #157
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Yea the base on the catfish kills the new one.

I like the way the cape is blown out on the Catfish as well.

Still really like the new one
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:56 PM   #158
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I honestly think the Sideshow one blows this one completely out of the water. At least from the pics.
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #159
KiDD
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
I honestly think the Sideshow one blows this one completely out of the water. At least from the pics.
Sideshow? If SDGuy's pic is what you mean then that's Catfish studio.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #160
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post
Sideshow? If SDGuy's pic is what you mean then that's Catfish studio.
He's talking about this piece.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arthas_world-of-warcraft_gallery_5c4bc67e606a2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	143980  
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote