Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #351
Biggunz
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix View Post
Already emailed them and said it needs to be 100 lower. Promised they would get more sales if they drop it.
Ha. Good job Phoenix

Prime 1 Batman 1/3 batcave was $1099

Doom $780 plus $45 tax plus $45 shipping your at $870

If you have local comic shop or eBay seller near you for the prime 1 1/3 bet you can get it for $1k - $1,050 out the door:

Literally $180 buck difference
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:11 PM   #352
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggunz View Post
Ha. Good job Phoenix

Prime 1 Batman 1/3 batcave was $1099

Doom $780 plus $45 tax plus $45 shipping your at $870

If you have local comic shop or eBay seller near you for the prime 1 1/3 bet you can get it for $1k - $1,050 out the door:

Literally $180 buck difference
Prime 1 Batcave was $1099 last year before inflation kicked in. Doom is probably closer to the $1455 Fabok Batman in terms of relative price within a company. Can't compare the high water mark for one against the low water mark for the other.

And adding tax/shipping to a Sideshow piece and dropping it from a Prime 1 of all things is a little less than honest.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:38 PM   #353
Walton.Chunky
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

To all of those who like sideshows Doom on throne can you explain why? I’m sorry but it looks cheap and toyish. I’ll admit that the cape on this new Doom looks decent. What we all have to admit is the prototype in general will always look better than the production piece. I would be weary of a fabric cape. XM’s latest pieces make sculpted capes look great. You never have to worry about having to pose the cape or the flimsy poseable wires breaking with sculpted capes.

Looking at that Doom on throne do you all not see how baggy and awful his costume looks? If sideshow is going to raise their prices they need to up their quality too.
Walton.Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #354
Biggunz
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
Prime 1 Batcave was $1099 last year before inflation kicked in. Doom is probably closer to the $1455 Fabok Batman in terms of relative price within a company. Can't compare the high water mark for one against the low water mark for the other.

And adding tax/shipping to a Sideshow piece and dropping it from a Prime 1 of all things is a little less than honest.
Drop the price my boy!

That's what I say !!!

Don't be a Jabroni .....support collectors

YEEHAW!!! Rideem Cowboy
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:22 AM   #355
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton.Chunky View Post
To all of those who like sideshows Doom on throne can you explain why? I’m sorry but it looks cheap and toyish. I’ll admit that the cape on this new Doom looks decent. What we all have to admit is the prototype in general will always look better than the production piece. I would be weary of a fabric cape. XM’s latest pieces make sculpted capes look great. You never have to worry about having to pose the cape or the flimsy poseable wires breaking with sculpted capes.

Looking at that Doom on throne do you all not see how baggy and awful his costume looks? If sideshow is going to raise their prices they need to up their quality too.
I don’t hate it but I’ve never been a fan of it either. When I first started collecting, which was way after it’s release, everybody was still highly fixated on it as a grail. I was just like ok…it’s Doctor Doom just sitting around, how very boring.

But the Throne itself had good sculpting details and “on throne” is a whole subset of collecting. I don’t buy into it. But I recognize “on throne” is a popular segment of collecting.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:11 AM   #356
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton.Chunky View Post

The actual sculpt on the original Doom absolutely holds up. There's some great, subtle, character specific attitude in the posing and the sculpt of the figure and the throne are fully on point.

What degrades it now is the fabric work. The fabric, and tailoring of it at that scale, does not drape properly and is dragging the impression of the piece as whole down quite a bit. Especially now, as that area has improved quite a bit on figures from the last five years or so.
OG Doom is early, making-it-up-as-we-go-along, mixed media... and looks it.

Replace that fabric with a good sculpted hood and cape, that looks like it has the proper weight, flow, and drape, and you'll see just how strong that original sculpt and design still is.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:23 AM   #357
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Sculpt wise Pablo Viggiano's original Doom PF is not outdated at all. I'd say it conveys so much more emotion than the new Doom.

darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #358
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Yeah, the fabric has aged the Doom on Throne very much...sadly I think the same can be said for this new Maquette imo. Kind of weird they mixed the suit fabric and sculpt, should've made two versions one all sculpted and one the suit all fabric for those that want mixed media.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #359
Hannibal10
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Sculpt wise Pablo Viggiano's original Doom PF is not outdated at all. I'd say it conveys so much more emotion than the new Doom.

Great sculpt, ruined by the stupid felt hood and costume. I really don't get it. The fabric is an eye sore on this.
Hannibal10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #360
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Don't understand and never will why collectors on both side try to press upon one another your personal beliefs when it comes to sculpt vs. fabric. Regardless if you like fabric the Doom on Throne as stood the test of time. 16 years and counting. I just love statue collecting all this other stuff don't matter. To bring back an old collecting phrase..."Collect Like You Give A Damn!"LoL!
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote