Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

View Poll Results: Who is the core character of the MCU?
Captain America (Steve Rogers) 8 22.86%
Iron Man (Tony Stark) 15 42.86%
Both characters are equally important 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
You inspired this thread wktf.

Cap and Tony have always seemed to be almost polar opposites as core members Avengers in the comics. The same can be said of their roles in the MCU.

Cap (Steve) is a man of the past, selfless, a man of inner strength of will, with an unwavering moral code that goes beyond simple patriotism, a great soldier, but a greater man.

Iron Man (Tony) is a man of the future, someone who eventually overcomes his own flaws and physical disabilities, using his mind and technology to build himself into a hero.

Cap was the leader of the Avengers and we see this in the final battle against Thanos. Caps inspires. It can be argued that it was Cap, in large part, that changed Tony into the type of man that could make the sacrifice play to stop Thanos. Cap was the boss. Tony just paid for everything and designed everything, and made everyone look cooler.
Wow, thanks, Tet.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #12
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Has to be both. Neither character in the MCU is nearly as compelling without the other. I think they both brought the best out of each other, albeit in very different ways. 1+1=3 in this equation.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
SONICobra
Batman

im team cap but i dont think i can say hes more important to the mcu than tony, had to vote theyre equal
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

I remember something John Byrne said... and I paraphrase... It's not so much about how great a job I did on the FF, it's more about how poorly it was after I left.

Had the MCU been left in the hands of Charlize Theron or Emily Blunt or someone with a less evident chips on their shoulder than Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson, perhaps those with doubt would feel more confident moving forward. Time will tell. Truth be told though, there are loads of people who seem to love Brie, love the idea of Hulk being all but insignificant, and so on. The reality is that comic characters do not belong to solely to comic fans. More than ever before, it seems there are more fans of the movies than there are of the books.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #15
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
As a character, definitely Cap.

RDJ brings a lot to the table. He's the OG. His charisma pulls people to the theaters. His brilliant and amazingly consistent performance is the best of the lot. And, his experience benefits the MCU in other ways, like the way he took Tom Holland under his wings.

That being said, as a character, Captain America is far more important to the MCU than Iron Man. Shield's first assessment of Tony wasn't too far off the mark. He is volatile. He made some truly bizarre decisions in IM3 and Age of Ultron that I fail to understand. Especially coming right after his beautiful arc in Avengers 1.

Cap, on the other hand, has always been about doing the right thing. No matter what the odds. No matter what the cost. That one simple sentiment explains all his actions. And that is why heroes are willing to stand by him even if it means going against the law. That speech that Agent 13 gives in Civil War, truly should've come from Cap.

`Plant yourself like a tree by the river of truth. And tell the whole world: "No. You Move."`

I love Iron Man, but I love Cap 3001.
That quote given by Agent 13 in the Winter Soldier movie "was" originally given by Captain America to Spider Man during Civil War in the comics in Amazing Spider Man Vol I issue # 537 from 2007.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #16
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Mark Twain may have said it first.

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move. Your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world:
“No, you move.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/804...-by-himself-or
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:18 AM   #17
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
That quote given by Agent 13 in the Winter Soldier movie "was" originally given by Captain America to Spider Man during Civil War in the comics in Amazing Spider Man Vol I issue # 537 from 2007.
Yup that's what I was referring to. That whole conversation between Cap and Spidey was what Civil War was all about. I was kind of hoping to see it onscreen. It's nice they gave a nod to it by saying Agent 13 heard it from Peggy. But come on, that's Cap's line.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #18
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Mark Twain may have said it first.

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move. Your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world:
“No, you move.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/804...-by-himself-or
That is correct. Cap was quoting Mark Twain and he actually tells Spidey that when he quotes it in the comics.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #19
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Never read that issue. I like how Cap mentions he read it as a kid.

https://comicnewbies.com/2013/05/10/...il-war-speech/
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Never read that issue. I like how Cap mentions he read it as a kid.

https://comicnewbies.com/2013/05/10/...il-war-speech/
That issue is one of my favorite issues of all time. Right up there with Avengers #4, FF #51, Amazing Spider-Man #33 and Silver Surfer #4

Last edited by wktf; 05-14-2019 at 10:15 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote