Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

One Punch Man

I just finished watching Season One of One Punch Man. What a weird series...but also an intriguing one. I enjoyed many things about the experience. For one, it's so much different than other superhero animated series that I found it refreshing, right down to the loud, exaggerated performances of the Japanese voiceover work. The actors voices were so comical in their expressions that even though I didn't understand a word of it, I enjoyed reading the english subtitles and listening to the vocal overacting. It brought a smile to my face and I found myself laughing several times throughout the 12 episodes just from the voiceover work, which was part of the series charm for me.

The second thing was Saitama aka One Punch Man. The Anime superhero version of Charlie Brown in appearance as well as in the lack of respect he gets. The guy is arguably the most powerful superhero ever, but all everyone does is make fun of his bald head and refuse to respect his incredible power and all of the times he's saved the world. Most of his success is ignored or wrongly attributed to some other lame hero, or arrogant hero who isn't a pimple on Saitama's behind. Anyway, he's more interested in a good meal, or a good sale on something he likes. He's also trying to find a villain that takes more than one punch to defeat.

Granted, this isn't a show that some will appreciate, but I found it to be pretty entertaining when I was in the right mood. Hoping to catch season 2 in the coming months.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Luminous
Cyclops

As an old school anime fan I found this series refreshing. The teen angst and melodrama that seems to plaque nearly every anime series of the past decade or more pushed me away from the genre. So the simplicity and humor of this show was very welcoming.

I haven't seen season 2, but you should know there has been some heavy criticism. Largely with the shows apparent dip in animation quality. I haven't looked into what else has been said about season 2 as a whole, but I'm almost inclined to just walk away and enjoy the first season as a standalone experience.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Augen
The Hulk

Season 1 animation was so good it is almost unfair for another studio to follow it up. I think the series changes a bit, but there are definitely still tons of great moments with Saitama and drama with other heroes.

To me OPM addresses how story telling can be done with OP characters (which is a common criticism of Superman) that the fight itself is not the challenge, it is aspects outside of it.

Also, that music, man anime songs can get me pumped. between this and My Hero Academia Japan is doing great things to inject life into super heroes for me.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

a bit late to the party on this one MM, but yeah OPM is a really great show.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Genos, the cyborg is my favorite character. I've seen all of season 1 and a couple of Season 2 episodes so far.

https://onepunchman.fandom.com/wiki/Genos
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Pendragon3000
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I’ve watched the anime and I’m reading the manga. It’s a great series, good action and comedy combined.
Pendragon3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #7
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
a bit late to the party on this one MM, but yeah OPM is a really great show.
Yeah...definitely late to this party...but, better late than never.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:20 AM   #8
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Yeah...definitely late to this party...but, better late than never.
heh, well I still haven't seen season 2 yet so maybe in a year or 2 we can both be caught up and discuss it
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote