Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Anime/Manga

Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trigun

Over the last several weeks I've been watching the Trigun series with my 14 year old. We just watched the last 3 episodes last night. While some of the violence seemed pretty gratuitous I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I felt for poor Vash the Stampede, the Humanoid Typhoon, but couldn't really appreciate Knives as the main villain as opposed to many of Vash's other opponents given his limited exposure in the series. Merrill and Millie were great supporting characters, though!

My son is suggesting Evangelion next, and also has mentioned Gunslinger Girl and FLCL. My anime experience kind of ended in the 60s with Astro Boy and Speed Racer so I'm just sort of rediscovering it.

What did you all think of Trigun? And why is it called "Trigun"? What is your take on Evangelion, Gunslinger Girl and FLCL (remember, I'm watching these with a 14 year old)?

Thanks!
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

FLCL is insane
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfire00 View Post
FLCL is insane
But appropriate for a 14 year old?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
That depends on the 14 year old.
When I was 14 i`d seen just about anything up to and including dead bodies and I turned out fine.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
there's nothin really bad in FLCL that I saw
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

So, why is "Trigun" called "Trigun"?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
So, why is "Trigun" called "Trigun"?
The title of Trigun is said to pertain to Vash, who has three primary weapons, each of which is a type of gun: his long barrel revolver, his hidden machine gun (revealed to be in his false arm during Monev's attack), and, most importantly, his angel arm. However, the name can also be seen to apply to other characters who have an arsenal of three uniques guns, a "Trigun". The two most prominent examples are the men who join Vash as his partner in arms, Nicholas D. Wolfwood and Livio the Double Fang (as well as his other personality, Razlo). Wolfwood handles three kinds of guns: his pistols, the Machine Gun end of the Cross Punisher, and the same weapons rocket launcher. Livio, if taken as a whole with Razlo, also handles three types of ammo, The Double Fang machine guns and the two modes of the Cross Punisher. Razlo on his own also, and perhaps most blatantly meets the title, as he handles three Cross Punishers simultaneously, earning his title of "Tripunisher of Death". The title becomes a reflection of the arsenals for each of these protagonists. Milly, Meryl, and Vash, often traveling together in the beginning of the series, use different styles in a fight which may also pertain to the title "Trigun."
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
lcummins
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
...What is your take on Evangelion, Gunslinger Girl and FLCL (remember, I'm watching these with a 14 year old)?

Thanks!

Evangelion is pretty deep when you really think about it and might be over the head of a 14 year old, but it still has enough action and interaction to provide an entertaining story even if you don't get the deeper meanings. Just be prepared for it to get stranger with each passing episode. There is a lot of innuendo in this show, that may or may not get past a 14 year old. I enjoyed it a lot, and want to revisit it and think about it again.

FLCL is pretty racy with even more innuendo, so you will have to be the judge whether your 14 year old is old enough. This is a really fun little show (some people love it, others hate it, go figure) that I watch every time it comes on Adult Swim. It is one of my favorites.

Haven't seen Gunslinger Girl yet, so I can't comment on it...
lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
noseeb13
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfire00 View Post
there's nothin really bad in FLCL that I saw
Well what about the meaning of FooLyCooLy? They mention it in an episode.
noseeb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
toe
Alpha Flight

FLCL is cool. If any of you guys like it, then i recommned watching Paranoid Agent too.

Trigun is awesome. Funny and entertaining. I still have my Monev the Gale figure. Many articulation is all I can say about that figure.
toe is offline   Reply With Quote