Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 10-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #2051
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
No because it is made in Chinese factories that will always try to pass off whatever they find convenient.
Ah, got it...lol
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #2052
Isaiasrosas212
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
If that were the case, then why does PCS use polystyrene to pack its statues and XM use sponge?

Many companies use polystyrene. Sponge is probably better as leads to less breakages. I don't know why all statues arn't packed in sponge.
XM uses Sponge? My Ironman Classic came in Polystyrene. They realized how expensive sponge was, so they dumped it.
Isaiasrosas212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #2053
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
If that were the case, then why does PCS use polystyrene to pack its statues and XM use sponge?

Many companies use polystyrene. Sponge is probably better as leads to less breakages. I don't know why all statues arn't packed in sponge.
I've never had an XM piece that used sponge, if they did in the beginning they certainly haven't used it in the last few years.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #2054
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
I've never had an XM piece that used sponge, if they did in the beginning they certainly haven't used it in the last few years.
Ms Marvel is packed in grey sponge.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #2055
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Ms Marvel is packed in grey sponge.
It's definitely not the norm and really doesn't matter, the only thing that matters if they are using the same factories as XM is how good the paints are on the final product and from what we've seen on the recent production videos they seem to be hitting the mark.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #2056
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
It's definitely not the norm and really doesn't matter, the only thing that matters if they are using the same factories as XM is how good the paints are on the final product and from what we've seen on the recent production videos they seem to be hitting the mark.
It would interesting know the ratio between sponge packing and polystyrene packing, how many statues arrive broken?

When my Ms Marvel arrived, it was so well packed in sponge, there was no way it could break.

My Gentle Giant Maggie packed in polystyrene arrived with the lower arm broken off. Gentle Giant offered a part refund.

My Gentle Giant Sucker Punch Blondie packed in polystyrene arrived with a number of parts (arm, various fingers) broken, caused by the polystyrene breaking below the foot area. I ended up repairing the statue myself, as it was an ebay seller.

My Microïds - Kate Walker 16cm statue than came with the game. Packed in polystyrene, the leg had snapped off from the based. Amazon replaced it

As you can see, based on personal experience, sponge appears to work better.

Yamato, they use something different. They use some sort of dense polythene which holds the statue super tight, with zero movement. This works better than polystyrene, i'd rate sponge higher

I've often read posts here on SF where collectors have received broken PCS statues. PCS use polystyrene.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #2057
Barbarian
Jedi Order

I was lucky enough to have a fellow forum brother transfer his warpaint version to me. So psyched for this! Thanks, soniCobra!!!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #2058
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
It would interesting know the ratio between sponge packing and polystyrene packing, how many statues arrive broken?

When my Ms Marvel arrived, it was so well packed in sponge, there was no way it could break.

My Gentle Giant Maggie packed in polystyrene arrived with the lower arm broken off. Gentle Giant offered a part refund.

My Gentle Giant Sucker Punch Blondie packed in polystyrene arrived with a number of parts (arm, various fingers) broken, caused by the polystyrene breaking below the foot area. I ended up repairing the statue myself, as it was an ebay seller.

My Microïds - Kate Walker 16cm statue than came with the game. Packed in polystyrene, the leg had snapped off from the based. Amazon replaced it

As you can see, based on personal experience, sponge appears to work better.

Yamato, they use something different. They use some sort of dense polythene which holds the statue super tight, with zero movement. This works better than polystyrene, i'd rate sponge higher

I've often read posts here on SF where collectors have received broken PCS statues. PCS use polystyrene.
Well i've had through my hands probably well over 500+ statues over the last 15 years ranging from new and used and have only had maybe 5-6 with damage and I've never had any packed in sponge...

Every company has broken statues, they even take into account that at least 5-6 % of a run will be broken, i'd put most breaks down to engineering of the polystyrene insert and the statue itself rather the material that's being used.

Polstyrene has been used since forever and as statues get more complicated and more delicate it's still being used, so i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #2059
#Brian
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I was lucky enough to have a fellow forum brother transfer his warpaint version to me. So psyched for this! Thanks, soniCobra!!!
Lucky!

Congrats!!!
#Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #2060
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
it was a very difficult decision but im glad its going to a good home
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote