Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #31
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
-Never pay after market prices
-Worrying about after market prices will only bring u pain.
- There will always be a new statue of yr fav charachter
That's wicked solid wisdom. So true!!!
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #32
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
-Never pay after market prices
-Worrying about after market prices will only bring u pain.
- There will always be a new statue of yr fav charachter
This is something to remember here.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #33
Grifterr
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The plan is to focus on a select few 1/4 scale x-men and guardians of the galaxy characters. Some marvel mondo posters to finish the setup and that will be enough.
Grifterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:46 AM   #34
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

My philosophy is pretty much my profile interests:

"Getting the best statues or figures of my favorite characters."

It's extremely rare that I get multiples of the same character. So far it's a good philosophy.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:29 AM   #35
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

I started collecting (not that long ago) with a particular theme in mind: Superman-related statues, and I started working on collecting those. But then I kind of veered off course and because it was all new to me, I started buying whatever I liked (other DC characters, Star Wars etc.) But no matter how much I liked them, I found myself subconsciously drawn back to my initial idea of Superman-related statues (supporting characters, villains...) So I started buying those again and removed other statues, some I really liked, and put them in storage.

So I learned if you have an initial idea/theme that got you interested in collecting in the first place it's best to stick with it and see it through. Sounds simple, but it's amazing how excited you can get as a newbie to discover all these statues and just want them all.

I have limited shelf space, and (like others above) I don't usually like to have the same character twice. So I have to be very picky about what I choose to buy and display. I don't want to feel overwhelmed with statues on display.

I also found that when I bought a taller statue, I suddenly saw how much better it looked in a particular space (especially a bigger space) and suddenly was drawn to bigger statues after collecting smaller ones for quite a while. (Though not all the statues I like are necessarily made in the larger scale.)

Another thing is I said I would only ever spend a couple of hundred dollars on a statue at most and thought the idea of spending a few hundred more dollars on a statue was ludicrous. Then I found myself paying $500 for a statue I really wanted. After that, spending a couple of hundred dollars on a statue seemed much easier, like it was no big deal and I felt less guilty lol. But it's a dangerous path to go down!

Ultimately, I am learning patience. To wait for something I really want and not half-ass it. Quality matters and when you get what you really want and not a cheaper substitute, to pay extra for it is totally worth it. It's a statue, it'll be around for a long time and you always have to look at it!

I consider myself kind of a newbie but it's been interesting what I learned in that time, how easily I got caught up in it and how reading around here I saw people going through similar experiences. It's been fun.
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #36
Bernie21
Sailor Moon

I'm grateful for this thread. I'm relatively new and although there's alot that attracts me (mostly nostalgia) and overwhelms me... I think you guys may have just grounded me.

I love dioramas, that's my thing. So I'm going to section out to dioramas, gaming section and a minimal star wars section.

I saw my self wanting to jump on everything cool that I had some connection to and not seeing how I could budget for all the dioramas past or coming.

I'm going to sell what's not pertinent, as every extra dollar helps. As I already have a few random pieces that I don't love/go w my overall themes.

I'm going to patiently collect past ones as the opportunity arise to get at not secondary market prices.

And any other nostalgic characters not part of the big 3 (dio, games, SW), to a minimal set and only 1 of each character (ie TMNT, etc).

I think this helps me focus my collection and it'll help it look cleaner too, not all over the place.

Thanks!
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #37
gaijin
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

My collecting limit per item is $800 max.

So I'm almost being priced out especially for 1/4 scale items and 1:1 props.

Time to retire soon.
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #38
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Or just buy half as many, then you can up your limit to 1600
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #39
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

- Make a list of all the characters you want to collect
- Have a yearly budget for collecting
- Stick to 1 and 2 as close as you can
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #40
SONICobra