Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 04-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
XM Studios TCC Best / Worst *detailed*

Hey everyone, as usual I usually create a list of the top 10 best / worst list from various trade shows. This TCC is especially important because of a few high profile statues that I wanted to see fully.

NOTE: All of these statues shown painted for the first time are all WIP...important to understand that. As usual XM improves on all or most statues prior to them being released.

* I did not include any of the statues that have already been released or shown at STGCC 2016 painted.

I must say that while there were a few bombastic showings at TCC....there were also a couple HUGE DISAPPOINTMENTS that need to be addressed. So without further ado:

BEST AT TCC 2017:

1) OPTIMUS PRIME

Concerns: Brighter or Deeper Red and Blue color due to how weathering tones down the colors. He looks a little too dirty (dirty truck that needs to be washed) especially in poorer lighting conditions.

* It should be noted that those who want the hologram arm and other extras should have the option to do so for a separate cost when they buy or PO the statue.

* Those who plan on buying multiple TFs will get extra parts in the one or two other Autobots without having to pay for them.

* Since these are MTO...maybe have the option of Optimus Paint jobs (clean and super spiffy or weathered)

2) Catwoman

Concerns: A possible alter to the masked head that is biting the lip. Like risingstar brought up, is it possible to show her teeth biting her lower lip?

Other than that, she is practically perfect and ready for print IMO. Great work XM!

3) Black Cat

Concerns: A better more detailed teeth sculpt on Black Cat smile portrait. I feel XM can improve on finer details for females. More detail to the paint of her hair...some very light highlights and or very, very light hair interspersed throught the white to give it some depth. Make sure the eyes are in alignment.

Note: XM usually fixes little things like that on their statues before shipping...so not too big a concern.

* Possibility of a 3rd head sculpt to where her portrait is facing the viewer if posed from the side.

* A little variation on the color of the jewels on the cat statues paw (maybe red or blue)?

* A tone or two lighter on the cat statue OR add a gloss to the cat statue to make it pop more against the strong dark uniform of BC. Give it a more jade effect.

4) Beta Ray Bill

Concerns: Lighten up the base especially the black teeth. The base appears to dark IMO and some lighter tones would not make the base blended the way they are now. Needs more distinction...or change the color to a stone head statue of gray or some other rock color.

* Why was the other arm that holds Stormbreaker not shown? Is it still an option or has that been scrapped? I hope it is still there as that is the way I plan to display BRB in my collection.

5) Winter Soldier

Concerns: WS currently has a lean...will that be fixed?

Update: XM has already addressed that it will be taken care of as it is still just a prototype (think Venom from STGCC change in pose).

Why weren't the other extras shown? I know most don't truly know how much stuff WS comes with...unless some of the extra were nixed? Will the extra arm that is holding the second gun still be part of the package? What about the torso? Just curious as to why only this option was shown.

WORST at TCC 2017

1) Darth Vader trio

Concerns: Extremely flat, boring, dull paints with no details on little Anakin portrait and the hood on the Dark Anakin portrait is too high on his head.

* Darth Vader was impressive, Dark Anakin and Little Anakin was not...very lifeless. Need much more details on the paints.

NOTE: XM has already taken note and will address these issues.

2) Magdalena

Let me preface this by saying this is a beautiful sculpt from top to bottom. My concerns are clearly with the paint up of the angel statue behind Mags and the lackluster emotion of the two portraits on Magdalena. The paint up of her costume is awesome...I love that and I love the switch outs.

Concerns: Both portraits suffer from airhead bimbo SS Rogue PF syndrome. WTH is she looking at? How is she engaging the collector or viewer? Is she thinking about how she got laid last night? What food she is going to eat in an hour? There needs to be more determination, intensity, or just a more engaging look. Why are her eyes painted as though she is looking in the clouds? Remove the hair from her face please. Why is the statue behind her painted a dark patina like green? Now it really stands out and clashes more than it would if it was a neutral color or even the same color tone of the fallen brown sculpture that she is standing on. Please fix these two major concerns.

* Why was her cape changed from the print out? Now that her cape has changed, maybe the hair on both portraits should be changed to coincide with the cape. Why is her hair blowing but cape is not?

Consensus: There isn't much at the show that I don't like. But the two main pieces at the show should have been showstoppers and were clearly lacking. I do take into account that lighting was terrible at the show...that is clearly evident. And I also know statues look better in person and are much better appreciated up close...but these two have glaring issues no matter what light it is under.

NOTE: I did not include Predator or Hulkbuster because both of those were unpainted and still not completed fully. If I included the unpainted protos shown there the list would have been like this for my top 10 at the show

Top Ten:
1) Optimus Prime
2) Predator
3) Hulbuster
4) Catwoman
5) Black Cat
6) Beta Ray Bill
7) Winter Soldier
8) Carnage
9) Spiderman
10) Thor Bust / Rhino Bust
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
darth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

My top 8: (Couldn't do 10 Mainly because, the rest disappointed me)

1) Predator
2) Hulkbuster
3) Beta Ray Bill
4) Thor Bust
5) Optimus Prime
6) Winter Soldier
7) Catwoman
8) Black Cat
darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Good top ten list, Loric. I know that Classic Iron Man and the Sentinel Dio have been showcased before, but personally, I'd definitely replace Carnage and Spider-Man on your top ten list with Iron Man and the Sentinel Dio since they are still and much more impressive. I think Spidey and Carnage should be moved to your worst list (which is another good list). I'd say they require some work, but that's just me, my taste, and my keen eye.

Optimus Prime is a really good one, but he's good with the arm that he's pictured with at the top of your post. I don't know what he's doing with that other blaster arm...I'd never ever use that sky-high arm.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Comicbookguy
Hercules

The mother of all xm statues previewed would be the ironman transforming combo set by far.

Next:
Horse face Thor
Prime
Spidey MJ set
Green yellow flaming fist iron man
Carnage

Worst is same as others mention:

Sw set.

Where's moon knight No previews?
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
The mother of all xm statues previewed would be the ironman transforming combo set by far.

Next:
Horse face Thor
Prime
Spidey MJ set
Green yellow flaming fist iron man
Carnage

Worst is same as others mention:

Sw set.

Where's moon knight No previews?
I know I am just taking the bait...but seriously dude can you just use his name?? It was used in a picture in the post you just read. BETA RAY BILL!

btw did u order Purple guy on Throne? FFS
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali604 View Post
I know I am just taking the bait...but seriously dude can you just use his name?? It was used in a picture in the post you just read.

If I were a Moderator on here, he'd be long gone by now, which is why I'm convinced some the Mods on here must personally know him.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Hulkbuster, Predator, Beta Ray Bill and Catwoman are all amazing. I think Spider-man and Carnage are great, though I'm hoping Carnages tongue can be removed on that portrait. Black Cat and the other ladies just need a bit more detail on their faces/hair and they'll be great. I don't want XM to suffer from the googly eyes that plagued SS for so long. I know they have high standards so I'm hopeful they'll resolve these issues.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
Vince_be
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TOP : Hulkbuster, Spiderman, Catwoman, Optimus Prime, Carnage, Winter Soldier. I also think Beta Ray Bill is a beautiful piece but i got no connexion with him. Agree on the Magdalena face that should be reworked (Maybe the head should be a little more inclined down and the look a little bit more straight with also a new make-up)

Nobody has mentionned Spider Gwen or Red Skull
Vince_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

CBG ignore them! Don't stop being you! We love you! And I love Horse Face Man too. Also PO'd green yellow flaming fist iron man haha
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali604 View Post
I know I am just taking the bait...but seriously dude can you just use his name?? It was used in a picture in the post you just read. BETA RAY BILL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
If I were a Moderator on here, he'd be long gone by now, which is why I'm convinced some the Mods on here must personally know him.
CBG is totally a fake account. I have been convinced of it for years. A few years ago he slipped out of character for about two weeks or so. His posts were all on point and actually insightful and helpful. Then it was pretty obvious he caught himself and it was like a switch flipped and good old CBG was back. It was only a short time, but trust me it was a night and day difference.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote