Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #4491
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Just finished up watching a movie myself!

7/10

Nowhere near the masterpiece Suspiria is, but still great Argento fun!
I NEEEEED to see this!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #4492
AsOneDead
You got red on you

The Iron Giant - 4.5/5
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - 3.5/5
Idle Hands - 3.5/5
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #4493
Bods
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I saw Phantom Menance 7 times, if not 8, at the movies.
wow. that's some dedication you got going there my max is 4 for sin city and that's only because someone gave me a bunch of prepaid tickets that were set to expire....well it was a great movie and the visuals can't be beat on the big screen either.

only reason i saw phantom menace twice is because the first time was with a bunch of other people who wouldn't stop screwing around. they thought they were jedi. long story. tbh though there are parts I like it didn't do much for me.

Quote:
I NEEEEED to see this!
re: inferno
indeed you do!
many Argento fans not only prefer it to suspiria, but place it as their favourite. man himself describes it as one of his "purest" films, which is not only quick but an accurate way to put it.

like all argento's best films it deserves to be seen in the best quality possible. on DVD it's really down to Anchor Bay vs the Italian disc, the latter features a radically different look that many prefer to the look of the more widely viewed AB disc. some have said it stays closer to their memories of theatrical screening than AB's disc. others not so much. I alternate viewings between the two, can't decide which I like more. there really is that much difference.

only BD out at the moment is Arrow UK, overdone image tinkering in high def, hmmmm....
the real HD competition will be between the forthcoming German BD by the discerning Camera Obscura and the other one by normally reliable Anchor Bay...very curious how they turn out...

incidentally, everybody's favourite hitchhiker Rutger Hauer has been cast as Van Helsing in Dracula 3D, so it's already a classic in my book all we really need now is a Phantom of The Opera reunion between Julian Sands & Asia as Dracula/Mina and we're off...
very early info suggests that this will be a more impassioned project for Dario than Giallo, which he has disowned and rightly so. a real mess that one, from a production standpoint and the finished product.

oh and on a completly different note (sort of, there are Argento-ish touches to black swan...) Aronofsky is a godsend to modern American cinema imo...

edit: post is way too long anyway!
Bods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #4494
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bods View Post
wow. that's some dedication you got going there my max is 4 for sin city and that's only because someone gave me a bunch of prepaid tickets that were set to expire....well it was a great movie and the visuals can't be beat on the big screen either.

only reason i saw phantom menace twice is because the first time was with a bunch of other people who wouldn't stop screwing around. they thought they were jedi. long story. tbh though there are parts I like it didn't do much for me.
I saw it willingly that many times. I was much younger.

Hey, I saw Congo 5 times at the theaters too!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #4495
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:

oh and on a completly different note (sort of, there are Argento-ish touches to black swan...) Aronofsky is a godsend to modern American cinema imo...

edit: post is way too long anyway!
+1!!!!

and the post is not too long, I love to read your posts on argento.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #4496
Bods
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
I saw it willingly that many times. I was much younger.

Hey, I saw Congo 5 times at the theaters too!
Congo, now that's more like it. Love that movie. I even bought a box of the trading cards! we've been quoting delroy lindo's dialogue regularly ever since.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #4497
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Congo, now that's more like it. Love that movie. I even bought a box of the trading cards! we've been quoting delroy lindo's dialogue regularly ever since.
the movie has some aweful dialogue in it.

I'm sure Laura Linney never wants to talk about it, lol.

I still really like that movie.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #4498
Bods

Quote:
the movie has some aweful dialogue in it.
"STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!"

Quote:
I'm sure Laura Linney never wants to talk about it, lol.
laura linney is great, and she rocks in congo she got to mow down pissed apes with a laser gun, how she could not rank it as a career highpoint is beyond me.

Quote:
I still really like that movie.
it's great fun!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #4499
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Master & Commander 6/10

Just didn't seem to have much storyline
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #4500
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
Watched a bunch of movies over the three day weekend.

Inception 8/10 - Good movie. Not as mind blowing as some people made it out to be. Great performances and visuals though and definitely interesting.

Predators 7/10 - Not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it even though it had it's flaws. Doesn't have the personalty of the first one, but worth the watch.

Jonah Hex 3/10 - This one was every bit as bad as everyone made it out to be. I'll give it 3 points because...well I don't know. I guess I didn't fall asleep, the dog was cute and Fox manged to be sweaty in every scene.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote