Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > William Paquet

Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Vader
Ghost

Dc questions for WP

William,

Did you ever have to make revisions on your batman pieces because of DC Management?

Would you have done anything differently with any of the batman sculpts (if you had complete freedom)?

Was there a character you didn't get to do that you wanted to do when at DC?

Did you like doing the superman piece you did? Was there ever a plan for you to do other superman pieces?

And which of your DC statues were you most and least pleased with?

By the way, I think DC had its best stuff when you were there. Your work is really fantastic.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
William,

Did you ever have to make revisions on your batman pieces because of DC Management?
There were times when decisions were made that altered some of the work. Mostly those came in the design phase, which I usually was not responsible for. There were a few exceptions.

Quote:

Would you have done anything differently with any of the batman sculpts (if you had complete freedom)?
Yes.

Quote:

Was there a character you didn't get to do that you wanted to do when at DC?
There were many. Some were ones I already did, but either didn't like the version I was given, or didn't like my work on the sculpt. Some just never happened at all, like Solomon Grundy, The Penguin, or Etrigan. Plenty others too if I start to think about it.

Quote:
Did you like doing the superman piece you did? Was there ever a plan for you to do other superman pieces?
Funny you ask. I enjoyed much of the work I did back then, but this piece was no fun at all. The design was a nightmare to try and get balanced. Cool design by Jerry Ordway, just a difficult one to get right. I should add that although I think the sculpt turned out okay, the factory production on that one is pretty dreadful.

I lamented the fact that I never got the chance to do a stand alone Supes, museum style, for lack of a better description. Something really iconic and powerful.

Quote:
And which of your DC statues were you most and least pleased with?
Most- SPECTRE
Least- JLA Bookends

Thanks for the interest and the nice comments.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Vader
Ghost

Thanks so much for your comments.

I love your original DK returns statue. You really feel the essence of the Miller batman in that piece. That piece has yet to be matched for a batman piece (in my opinion).

I think your work with clothing is just fantastic. You always get the feel and the folds of the clothing just right. You give the material a movement that works so well. It really shows on the DK piece.

While its obvious you can sculpt anything, your style, for me, really stands out with batman and sandman as far as DC goes. You always seem to stand out with the classic monster stuff as well. And with sin city stuff. Marvel characters almost seem too clean and simple. For me, your work seems to work with characters that have some grit to them (some darkness).

Do you have a preference sculpting certain types of pieces?

Which batman would you have done differently, and why? Do you think you would do work with DC again?

I really wish you had the opportunity to do a superman (museum style). I'm sure the outcome would have been phenomenal.

Thanks for all your time. Looking forward to your work.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

I prefer nasty, gritty and sick as far as subject matter. Horror mainly, but tough stuff, like Sin City or Hellboy is great subject matter.

I would have done the Bisley clock tower piece differently. The pose is not what I would have chosen if I had the opportunity to design the piece.

I had the chance to revisit Miller's DK last year. It is museum style, as I always wanted to do. It is currently being tooled in wax by a bronze foundry for a limited edition of 3 hot bronze copies. None will be for sale, it is a labor of love between myself and some friends.

Here's a sneak of the sculpt. Once the bronzes are done I'll post images here.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Regarding DC, it is possible we will work together again. I remain on good terms with the people there that I know.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Vader
Ghost

I can't see the pictures of the batman from work. My work has a block on pictures. But I can't wait to see them when I get home!!!

I really hope you do work for DC again. And it's amazing, but your preference for certain types of work really shows in the outcome. I still think your "darker" DC pieces can't be touched. Nothing that company has put out has come close to your work before or since. So lets hope they enlist your aid again.

What were you going to do with the Bisley batman if you had your way?

Are you looking to work on Hellboy stuff? Comic style I expect?

You've always been one of my favorites!! Thanks for taking the time.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
wolverinejedi007
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

William I assume Rich getting one of the DK Bronze, right???

Just wondering so I know what to steal next time I pay his house a visit. LOL
wolverinejedi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Vader
Ghost

Now if it ever gets stolen, you'll be a suspect.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinejedi007 View Post
William I assume Rich getting one of the DK Bronze, right???

Just wondering so I know what to steal next time I pay his house a visit. LOL
Rich is not involved in this, so you'll have to do your thievery for some other trinket.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
wolverinejedi007
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
Rich is not involved in this, so you'll have to do your thievery for some other trinket.
WOW!!! I am stoopified!!!

I am very suprised that he is not involved.
wolverinejedi007 is offline   Reply With Quote