Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

New Spawn Movie

"Rumors of a sequel or a reboot or a re-invention of Spawn have been circulating since the first film tanked so spectacularly back in 1997. Creator Todd McFarlane has given numerous interviews over the years indicating that a number of possible approaches to the story, all of them substantially darker in tone.

Apparently, McFarlane has begun posting about a new Spawn film on Twitter, and it looks like there's real movement behind the series: "I've officially begun writing the Spawn movie screenplay… The story has been in my head for 7 or 8 years. Will continue to update… The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a stand alone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary… The tone of this Spawn movie will be for a more older audience. Like the film Departed."
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Hasn't he been talking about this for like, nearly a decade now or so though? I swear a new Spawn movie has been "very close to a done deal" for so long that it'll almost be able to draw a pension soon. Personally this is strictly in my "believe it when I see it" file. Plus, McFarlane has been known to talk things up in the hopes that they will become a reality, as a way of generating interest in a project, so, yeah...we'll see I guess.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Parky
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

B movie sprung to mind.

We'll see how good it is if it arrives. But I'm still trying to banish the first movie from my mind.
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Natrix
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

YAWN!!
Natrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

If there is I hope its better than the 1st one...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

i liked the first one. it had some great special effects, even though the story was a bit slim. john leguizamo as clown was absolutely outstanding!

oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
i liked the first one. it had some great special effects, even though the story was a bit slim. john leguizamo as clown was absolutely outstanding!

John was the standout of the movie.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Quote:

That I agree.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:

He did hit a homerun with that role!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Some old news about the movie:

"Spawn creator Todd McFarlane spoke with IGN FilmForce in March about the planned sequel. McFarlane said he's planning to re-invent the film from being an "action/special effects/fantasy movie" to being an "R-rated thriller/suspense, with a little bit of horror mixed in."

The only details known about the story are that Sam and Twitch – two police detectives introduced in the first issue of the comic – are the main characters in the film. In a press release on Spawn.com, McFarlane says, "Sam and Twitch as the lead characters, will be much like (Richard) Dreyfuss and (Roy) Scheider were in Jaws. Although the movie was called Jaws and featured a shark, the story was really about those two guys hunting Jaws," Todd said. "Ours is similar: It's called Spawn, but it's really about people chasing shadows. It's a story about the people in Spawn's world, and you'll find that Spawn had an influence on these people's lives. It's not an action movie in the truest sense; it's more of a psychological thriller."

Spawn 2 isn't going to be a superhero in the film, like the first. McFarlane says we may not actually see Spawn at all. He says, "At no time, in my mind, will you ever see Spawn in his full regalia, standing there in his cape and his costume. You're not going to get that. I think the translation of the character may bug some people. But I'm more concerned about making the best movie possible."

McFarlane told us that one of the ideas he had for the film – and we don't know if this one stuck or not – was that Spawn wouldn't even speak in the film. "We're actually toying with the idea that he might not even talk, and that he actually would become...like the boogeyman," said McFarlane. "There's something about him being this Sentinel out there, I mean, he can be our personal guilt. Whatever that is, whatever it is that we have to try and mask out there, that's what I want him to be. Does he really exist, or is he a figment of our imagination? And how does that figure in paranoia? Whether there is something late at night, when you're sleeping you know, you hear a cat walk across the patio ? That always sounds way more disturbing at two o'clock in the morning when there's nobody in the house than 1 o'clock in the afternoon and you have ten people around, right? So I want to bring that aspect of how he can sort of scare people without actually physically having to do anything with them."

And some recent news:

"MTV is running an interview with Spawn creator Todd McFarlane about his plans for a possible movie reboot, including some ambitious casting plans.

He said: "The main character isn't Spawn, per se, it's the guy chasing Spawn. And I've always had [Leonardo] DiCaprio in the back of my mind."

"It's a big wish, but his dad was a big fan of underground comic books and he came from that. It's not a big special-effects movie, it's a character movie, so I could shoot it in 40-50 days and you don't have to budget that much time."

McFarlane said, however, that the character he envisions DiCaprio playing might be different from those in the comics.

"We had Sam and Twitch in the book, but because of some of the stuff I'm trying to sell in Hollywood, we might have to change the characters a bit," he said. "But it would still be a police character who's chasing down a case and in the middle of this Godfather-type movie, something weird is out there and no one knows about it except him and a few other people."
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote