Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #1
Darkhumor
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Should Sideshow & other companies provide registration on their products?

Everywhere I look, a new recast keeps popping up. Should companies start providing registration keys on their products going forward, like XM does?
Darkhumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #2
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

What's are registration keys and how would it stop recasting?
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Yes why have they not done it already? Maybe more labor and money? Once that recast doom comes out it will affect the ss one in some ways. Recast parts will never be known as fake if they sold those.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
Darkhumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
What's are registration keys and how would it stop recasting?
Key codes to register an official product. To be able to verify authenticity. It'll stop recasts, if not, put a huge dent to unethical practices abroad when someone tries to sell a recast, and the buyer asks to verify a serial # in a registration system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Yes why have they not done it already? Maybe more labor and money? Once that recast doom comes out it will affect the ss one in some ways. Recast parts will never be known as fake if they sold those.
Recasted parts would come out smaller than the originals.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 AM   #5
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I don't think a registry would make any difference,it certainly didn't impact recasters in any negative ways when they made fraudulent Magneto's,and they still continue making him and selling out
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #6
Darkhumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I don't think a registry would make any difference,it certainly didn't impact recasters in any negative ways when they made fraudulent Magneto's,and they still continue making him and selling out
lmao! And your data analysis comes from where? Do you have some insider knowledge of these recasts, how many of them being made, and selling out every time?

I have seen zero Magneto recasts being offered up to collectors. Or any for that matter being sold through the community. And just like you, I keep up with the goings on in this hobby. Having those codes on the magneto's, keeps people from getting ripped off from thousands of dollars. And Im seeing older sideshow grails being recasted as time goes by. So I would think it would be a smart move to start putting codes on their product. Especially companies that have popular statues. Like that 1/3 Akuma and Shin that got out from a bad factory.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #7
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

My data comes from my knowledge about this subject,if you live in parts of Asia this is not an uncommon practice and these items are available for those who are interested in them.I do not support it,but I've seen quite a few of them in hand and I can tell you the ppl who buy and sell them do not offer them so openly on the market to legit collectors in North Amerca or Europe
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
rhy
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhumor View Post
lmao! And your data analysis comes from where? Do you have some insider knowledge of these recasts, how many of them being made, and selling out every time?
Ricky Bobby is clearly missing the point of a registry. Adding a serial number isn't an attempt to end bootlegging as a whole, but rather a way to authenticate officially licensed product. There will always be a market for knock offs, but for those of us who are serious about collecting and willing to pay the market value, then yes, a registration number will definitely help the hobby. Honestly, I doubt any serious collector/buyer would argue that adding a serial number is a con in any way.
rhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhy View Post
Ricky Bobby is clearly missing the point of a registry. Adding a serial number isn't an attempt to end bootlegging as a whole, but rather a way to authenticate officially licensed product. There will always be a market for knock offs, but for those of us who are serious about collecting and willing to pay the market value, then yes, a registration number will definitely help the hobby. Honestly, I doubt any serious collector/buyer would argue that adding a serial number is a con in any way.

There will always be cheap collectors that will knowingly buy knockoffs to save money or to have a sold out statue. But at least with a registry key, serious collectors can verify the statue they're buying is legit.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #10
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Pcs and prime 1 needs to add this for the 1/3 sf statues. Someone please let Jerry know asap! SS good luck making them listen.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote