Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

It's a legitimate concern, I don't believe this is beating a dead horse. This isn't another thread about QC.

1/4 & 1/5 scale being near the same price doesn't make much sense. I don't know about anything statue production. I've only heard from those who are in the industry that prices are going up.

These increases aren't just present in premium format figures, they're present even in smaller scale figures.

EX: 1/8 Scale PVC figure being $120 (and up) now.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #12
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to use that logic around these parts. Most Sideshow pricing apologists think those were released so long ago that it must have been before they were born. It's the same with any statue that passes the year mark. "Inflation, duhr!"
If actual inflation reflected Sideshow inflation we'd all be f****ed right now.
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
Luminous
Cyclops

I have no doubt that manufacturing prices have gone up these past few years. Just look at all of the competition that has arisen. That many new companies asking for mass produced statues to be hand painted by cheap labor has to have an impact on factory rates.

That said, Sideshow is the biggest name in the game. By now they have A LOT of experience with marketing, pricing, production and customer service. You'd think they'd have a modicum of respect for their target consumers when they price these things. Pricing a 1/4 at $450, then revealing a $425 price tag for a 1/5 statue less than two weeks later? Come on, Sideshow. I know you think most of us are idiots, but at least pretend like you're making an effort.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyoctopus10 View Post
If actual inflation reflected Sideshow inflation we'd all be f****ed right now.
No kidding!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #15
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

As stated on page 1, there's on obvious solution. It sucks knowing that is the only thing you can do though.

Provided the pieces actually sell at those prices (which they do), there's not much reason for Sideshow/other to not continue to use those base prices.

Constant reminders of an (increasingly) expensive hobby.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
As stated on page 1, there's on obvious solution. It sucks knowing that is the only thing you can do though.

Provided the pieces actually sell at those prices (which they do), there's not much reason for Sideshow/other to not continue to use those base prices.

Constant reminders of an (increasingly) expensive hobby.
It's a strategy I adopted a while go, but I don't know if I'd call it a "solution". Not in it's current form at least. The problem is that I am voting with my wallet. The last statue I had on my Sideshow pre-order page was the Mignola Hellboy PF. I know that wasn't THAT long ago, but there have been A LOT of products to go up for pre-order since then. The prices keep going up. That means there are still too many people still hitting the Pre-order button.

I know bringing up the subject around here feels like . But I need more collectors to wake up if I want any hope of ever being able to collect in a way that makes any sort economical sense. I'll never be able to reach those with the deepest of deep pockets. Apparently these things are the equivalent of milk and eggs on the grocery list (looking at you Gary ). So as the evidence gets more and more ridiculous (like the current topic), I keep bringing it up in hopes to reach collectors who may be on the ropes like I am.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #17
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Can't the price increase be simply justified by the switch out head on Boba?

Also, in terms of the price of these in general I offer this explanation. Where I live most new houses use what is called orange peel texturing on the walls. I asked about a smooth texture and was told it was extra. But why is buying nothing (no texture) more than buying something (texture)? Because it takes more time and skill to have smooth walls whereas orange peel texture covers the blemishes and is much more forgiving.

By extension, when I look at these proto images I see a very clean paint job that requires some skill to get right. Earth tones and metal are easy to paint: base coast, wash, highlight, slap, slap slap and stay in the lines mostly. A little here, a little there to cover this or that flaw. But while these new pieces look like simple paint jobs they also look unforgiving.

My 2 cents.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
Can't the price increase be simply justified by the switch out head on Boba?
I hate to bring up those who cannot be named in this section of the forum, but now it's cool for Sideshow to charge for alternate portraits while other companies sometimes provide THREE portraits for the same price? Not to mention your point only speaks to the price difference between the Trooper and Boba Fett (statues of the same scale) and not the Boba Fett and Green Lantern (statues of different scale).

Quote:
Also, in terms of the price of these in general I offer this explanation. Where I live most new houses use what is called orange peel texturing on the walls. I asked about a smooth texture and was told it was extra. But why is buying nothing (no texture) more than buying something (texture)? Because it takes more time and skill to have smooth walls whereas orange peel texture covers the blemishes and is much more forgiving.

By extension, when I look at these proto images I see a very clean paint job that requires some skill to get right. Earth tones and metal are easy to paint: base coast, wash, highlight, slap, slap slap and stay in the lines mostly. A little here, a little there to cover this or that flaw. But while these new pieces look like simple paint jobs they also look unforgiving.

My 2 cents.
That's all well and good, but given all of these theoretical explanations I keep seeing about how "this paint app is more complex" and "this base is more complex", have we ever seen the price go back DOWN when something isn't as "complex"? Considering how the prices keep getting higher, they never come back down in the slightest. I think it's more likely that the price increases have absolutely NOTHING to do with the intricacies of the sculpt nor their paint applications.

Are you suggesting that these two McQuarrie pieces are more "complex", "intricate" or more "difficult" to paint than the Mythos line? I don't think anyone would suggest that to be the case. Yet here we are, nearly $100 more expensive than the last Mythos piece. I am sure someone will mention "INFLATION, BRO", but I am specifically illustrating a point in comparison to statue assembly and painting. Chill.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #19
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I stop buying 1:5 now. Black Cat JSC is my last one and I only got it to go with the Spidey, Gwen and MJ
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
qz33
Doctor Doom

It all just a bubble man and it is going to burst.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote