Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #21
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
It all just a bubble man and it is going to burst.
I know, but sometimes it feels like Sideshow is deliberately testing the limits of that bubble. Almost as if they are anticipating the burst and are wondering when it's going to happen, just like us.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #22
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

I know bringing up the subject around here feels like . But I need more collectors to wake up if I want any hope of ever being able to collect in a way that makes any sort economical sense. I'll never be able to reach those with the deepest of deep pockets. Apparently these things are the equivalent of milk and eggs on the grocery list (looking at you Gary ). So as the evidence gets more and more ridiculous (like the current topic), I keep bringing it up in hopes to reach collectors who may be on the ropes like I am.

I totally get you man.
I haven't even been collecting as long as you and I can't see keeping up with these prices.

Yeah price gouging, yeah shipping, yeah labor, yeah increased complexity yeah... GREED.

At the end of it someone somewhere is making more money be it Sideshow, the Chinese factory owners, oil companies somewhere.

This stuff is just too popular right now it's on fire. Superheroes everywhere and on everything.

Plus the potential market for these things is just too easy. 20 something years old with a roommate/girlfriend/spouse and even just an average college graduate salary has some money to burn.

Credit is way too easy to get. How many statues you want to bet on eBay are funded by PayPal's credit?
Banks handing out credit cards and an audience too silly to realize what they are doing.

That's how you get to the point to where this many people pay this much
for big toys. Trust me though the end to the never ending prices is phuking nigh.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #23
Peedi
The Secret Six

For sake of comparison: Concept Fett vs Medieval Spawn.

Not a statue for me, but McFarlane's Medieval Spawn is over 17 inches and $300 for high detail, 2 switch out weapons, 2 switch out heads and a signed print, all STANDARD, not just an exclusive edition.

I'm assuming since they make the statue themselves there's no license cost though so that makes prices cheaper, and it's all run by McFarlane so it's easy for him to sign the prints.

What I'm not sure of is if a license fee alone over however many statues justifies Boba Fett at $430. It very well may, I just don't know. Would need to know how much those costs are and how they work for a more accurate comparison. I assume a license fee is a cost for an entire license, not a cost that's assessed per statue...with that said it doesn't seem reasonable for Fett to be $130 more than Spawn. But I don't know.

What I do know is $130 more than Medieval Spawn for less detail, one or no switch outs if you get a regular, and no signed art print.

Like I said, just for comparison.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #24
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
I'll never be able to reach those with the deepest of deep pockets. Apparently these things are the equivalent of milk and eggs on the grocery list (looking at you Gary )
Haha. Thanks for the honorable mention!

All kidding aside, nobody wants to see higher prices. As a Canadian it effects me more severely because of the exchange rate. It's an additional 25% at present.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #25
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
I know, but sometimes it feels like Sideshow is deliberately testing the limits of that bubble. Almost as if they are anticipating the burst and are wondering when it's going to happen, just like us.
To a point they are yes but I promise you after being on these forums I am sure the factories have waaay more control than the companies.

I mean every statue company basically sends a prototype, some unassembled pieces to duplicate and says "our revenue is in your hands guys."

Business is pouring in so fast the Chinese can't even make the pieces look right.

You think the factories hear much when pieces don't come out right? They've already been paid. "Don't like our work? Sure go elsewhere we got people beating the door down By the way where else are you going to go to get your product to continue to make money? Down the street? Yeah half our workforce came from there a couple months ago and by next year they be back where they started"

Chinese factories will always produce the bare minimum unless they are paid extra for better and so QC will continue to be a yo-yo between pieces.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:10 AM   #26
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
For sake of comparison: Concept Fett vs Medieval Spawn.

Not a statue for me, but McFarlane's Medieval Spawn is over 17 inches and $300 for high detail, 2 switch out weapons, 2 switch out heads and a signed print, all STANDARD, not just an exclusive edition.

I'm assuming since they make the statue themselves there's no license cost though so that makes prices cheaper, and it's all run by McFarlane so it's easy for him to sign the prints.

What I'm not sure of is if a license fee alone over however many statues justifies Boba Fett at $430. It very well may, I just don't know. Would need to know how much those costs are and how they work for a more accurate comparison. I assume a license fee is a cost for an entire license, not a cost that's assessed per statue...with that said it doesn't seem reasonable for Fett to be $130 more than Spawn. But I don't know.

What I do know is $130 more than Medieval Spawn for less detail, one or no switch outs if you get a regular, and no signed art print.

Like I said, just for comparison.

McFarlane is at the top of this market's game. I'd say he has more business sense than any other company represented on the forum including PCS or Sideshow.

He is basically one of the founders and inspirations for the statue market we all are a part of today.

It's not just the licensing benefit though he is smart enough to stay away from companies that want too much of his pie.
He usually produces 1 resin/statue a year and they are usually top notch. He knows what the factories can do and how to get it done. He isn't depending his entire business on toys the price of car payments as he knows this is where it leads.

Even without liking the character, just being someone that appreciates statues I don't see how that Spawn is not tempting to anyone.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #27
dechirico7
The Flash

Another thread focusing on bashing and inflation?
There is a simple way to deal with this...budget.
Next year I will be limiting myself to 1 Sideshow statue. With high Healthcare and food prices I have to really start budgeting.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #28
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

That's a damn beautiful statue.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #29
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Another thread focusing on bashing and inflation?
There is a simple way to deal with this...budget.
Next year I will be limiting myself to 1 Sideshow statue. With high Healthcare and food prices I have to really start budgeting.
You are right and that attitude makes total sense but for a lot of us 1 statue per year makes for a pretty non existent and pointless hobby.

Collecting these things is not for the sensible.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #30
hunnipot85
Blue Falcon

when people start paying 1/4 scale prices for 1/5, 1/4 scale prices are going to go up as well so there's a bigger difference than $25 from 1/5 scale
hunnipot85 is offline   Reply With Quote