Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM   #11
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
Don't know why some manufacturers would still bother to produce statues of old Hollywood movie stars over and over again.

How many collectors here would actually order this piece even if the likeness is 100% spot-on?
I would....

Marilyn Monroe was a beautiful woman in her day, and she starred in blockbuster movies for her time - even if you've never seen those movies - most people alive today still know who she was as an iconic actress.

I see no difference adding a statue of her in my collection vs a contemporary actress. Beauty and elegance are timeless...
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:27 PM   #12
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Don't know why some manufacturers would still bother to produce statues of old Hollywood movie stars over and over again.

How many collectors here would actually order this piece even if the likeness is 100% spot-on?
Let the nine years younger me give you a quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo, on 03-31-2015 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa1976 View Post
Beautiful statue but is there really a demand for a Marilyn Monroe statue? Is anyone under the age of 50 going to want this?
Like I said over on the other forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1976 View Post
I really do not see anyone under the age of 50 having an interest in it, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo
You're definitely wrong. This kind of statues caters to the general movie aficionado, not just the usual action/sci-fi/adventure/horror fan that statues are mainly aimed at.
I don't really want to elaborate on this, as this is a topic, or rather, a prejudice, which has come up a few times along the years, so let's leave it at: "Yes, Hobbyist, there are people interested in this stuff. Probably not that many here, but there certainly is a buying public out there. Which is why manufacturers 'still bother'."
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:39 PM   #13
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Shoo, the master at cross quoting/posting across multiple years...and perhaps even multiple forums?
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:11 PM   #14
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I'm not even sure why it's a discussion point - are people really so blinkered they can't fathom a world where people like things that they don't.

What makes me laugh, is that people are going ga ga over Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Conan, and Star Wars the original trilogy - it's hardly as if those films were made last year - with all of them originating in the previous century....but of course - Marilyn Monroe is a real stretch.....
Old 03-27-2024, 05:29 AM   #15
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Shoo, the master at cross quoting/posting across multiple years...and perhaps even multiple forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm not even sure why it's a discussion point - are people really so blinkered they can't fathom a world where people like things that they don't.
Yup.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:13 PM   #16
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
There must be a market or they wouldn't make them. The Sideshow Clint Eastwood pieces are apparently selling well, as 7 of 8 are waitlisted.
I consider CE a contemporary movie star, not an old Hollywood movie star since he is still alive and well.

His famous movies are from the 60s and 70s, same period as Superman, Star Wars and Godfather.

So, to me, it makes sense to produce statues and figures of him.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:31 PM   #17
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Let the nine years younger me give you a quick reply.

I don't really want to elaborate on this, as this is a topic, or rather, a prejudice, which has come up a few times along the years, so let's leave it at: "Yes, Hobbyist, there are people interested in this stuff. Probably not that many here, but there certainly is a buying public out there. Which is why manufacturers 'still bother'."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I would....

Marilyn Monroe was a beautiful woman in her day, and she starred in blockbuster movies for her time - even if you've never seen those movies - most people alive today still know who she was as an iconic actress.

I see no difference adding a statue of her in my collection vs a contemporary actress. Beauty and elegance are timeless...

That's true but I would much prefer to see a statue of a contemporary actress like Michelle Pfeiffer or Meg Ryan, etc. from the 80s.

I might feel differently if I were a Baby-boomer who actually watched Monroe's movies when she was still alive and well.

Then I would have a legit reason to be nostalgic and have a desire to collect a statue of her. It's a generation thing, I guess.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:45 PM   #18
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
It's a generation thing, I guess.
With Marilyn I'm not so sure, she's so iconic that I could see even some younger collectors being interested in Marilyn Monroe items, especially those that depict such a famous scene.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:04 PM   #19
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
With Marilyn I'm not so sure, she's so iconic that I could see even some younger collectors being interested in Marilyn Monroe items, especially those that depict such a famous scene.
Exactly. I'm in my early 40's and I love Marilyn. I own the original (gold dress) Blitzway statue. It's the best likeness I've ever seen of her.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:15 PM   #20
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
That's true but I would much prefer to see a statue of a contemporary actress like Michelle Pfeiffer or Meg Ryan, etc. from the 80s.

I might feel differently if I were a Baby-boomer who actually watched Monroe's movies when she was still alive and well.

Then I would have a legit reason to be nostalgic and have a desire to collect a statue of her. It's a generation thing, I guess.
Ok, so regardless of the quality of the statue - you're not interested....is that your point?

If you straight up have zero interest in the statue - like - 100% nichts - seriously, why even bother commenting? It's clearly not Meg Ryan or Michelle Pfeiffer sooooo......

I mean, I could stroll into a Terminator thread and complain that it's pointless because it's not Superman.....would that make any sense?

Maybe I'm missing your point.....