Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #201
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
It's possible Disney pushed DP back to protect CM.
Disney didn't own Fox back when the movie was delayed (twice).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-plans-1216859

Quote:
At first, the movie had a release date of Nov. 2, 2018. With more work needed on the movie, it was pushed to Feb. 14, 2019. Then, with marketing already underway, Fox pushed the release date to June 3, 2019. Initially, the studio messaged that the move was to take advantage of a Chinese release and hopes for a strong global performance.

However, insiders tell THR that the move was to placate James Cameron, Fox’s most important filmmaker, and his concerns for his movie, Alita: Battle Angel. According to one source, Cameron felt Alita would lose horribly when facing a December opening weekend that included Aquaman and Bumblebee, with Mary Poppins Returns opening up two days earlier. He wanted his expensive movie shifted. Stacey Snider, according to this source, obliged, giving Alita the February date and moving Dark Phoenix to June. “Emma, Hutch and Simon begged her not do it,” says this source.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #202
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
You're not far off.

Many people have noticed the plot similarities between Captain Marvel and Dark Phoenix (female lead who gets cosmic powers accidentally and then fights shapeshifting aliens). Some have accused DP of ripping CM off, even after DP had to change its 3rd act from space battle to train battle. Funny thing is, if DP came out when it was supposed to, back in November 2018, the shoe would be on the other foot.

It's possible Disney pushed DP back to protect CM. But nothing definitive is known yet.
The problem also is that the Phoenix saga was handled all wrong and caused the movie to fail -- regardless of Captain Marvel.

IF FOX had half a brain and had handled ANY of these X-Men movies correctly the story would have crushed it in theatres. But there is lies the problem - there should be no battle with shape shifting aliens. Nadda. The battle should have been to save the life of a beloved member of the team from execution because she accidently killed billions of lives due to possession by a cosmic being. There SHOULD have been Sh'iar. All of this should have been built up over the 4 movies they made. Not bouncing around from villain to villain with no true tie-in. Not shoving JLaw into every scene with no logic.

FOX owned the rights to make this entire franchise a success and couldn't get out of their own way. I don't blame Disney one bit for this hot garbage. Casting was there, money was there, time was there - and FOX f'ed it up for over a decade. Good riddance FOX.

I only hope that the comic coaster doesn't totally die before I can see a Disney X-Men Masterpiece. And it better only have Emma Frost as a villain.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #203
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The deal was being finalized between FOX and Disney when the movie was in production and post production. I remember us debating this when rumors of the deal first began.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #204
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I wouldn't put it past Disney to have manipulated Fox in the past leading to the eventual failure of Dark Phoenix... and possibly even Godzilla King of Monsters!!!
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #205
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
The deal was being finalized between FOX and Disney when the movie was in production and post production. I remember us debating this when rumors of the deal first began.
Companies are prohibited from discussing "what ifs" during merger talks. This is in case the merger talks fail or in case Uncle Sam vetoes a merger.

Disney and Fox continued to operate as separate companies up until the day the deal actually closed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...y-role-1214723

Quote:
I have not had any talks with them about it. Kevin Feige and I go way back to my first X-Men movie actually. He was the producer when I was the co-writer on The Last Stand. We've been friends over the years and are also people that root for each other and support each other. I saw him actually. We sat down to catch up. We'll have a meal every now and then, though obviously we've both been pretty busy over the past however many years. We met just before the Disney merger was made official, so we didn't talk about any business. We actually spent most of the time talking about Twilight Zone. But it was fun. It was cool.

The only thing we talked about in terms of Disney and Marvel was just how great the Disney marketing team is, because the only thing that has impacted Dark Phoenix from the Disney-Fox merger is the fact that the Disney team has become part of the marketing and publicity process. They are really great and I've known the Disney guys for a while now. I produced Cinderella over there. I had a hand in helping out and working on a few of the Star Wars movies. I know them well and to see them up close in the marketing and publicity of the film is really impressive. It's a pretty historic run Kevin has had and Disney has had. I haven't had any talks with them formally about their plan.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #206
nearmint
Phoenix

Neither DP or CM are perfect movies, but CM is far more entertaining. The idea of making it a buddy movie with CM and Nick Fury generated a lot of humor that's completely absent from DP.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #207
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I don't know about completely absent. Seeing the X-Men dragged off in animal control sticks by the MCU was pretty hilarious.

Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #208
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I enjoyed this movie. Not great but solid by all means. MCU fanboys/critics sabotaged this film. X-Men fan all my life, if anyone one here also claims this and bashes this movie....shame on u. 7.5/10
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #209
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I mean, I’ve been a XMen fan my whole life. They are far and away my favorite, but I refuse to pay money to see this. I can’t. I just can’t. It’s too bastardized for my liking. Which is a shame because I like the casting of these movies (except JLaw), so there could be so much greatness.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #210
Y3E
Gen 13

Which movie did Fox have Mystique lead the X-men? That was the toilet dumper for me. I'm don't mind JLaw as Mystique but there are better actresses who could have played her.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote