Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

General Art Book Thread

I am not sure how many people on this board are big art book collectors, but there are so many amazing art books being released on a regular basis that its hard keeping up with all of them. While art prints remain my #1 collecting hobby, art books and books in general come a very close 2nd. So I figured it might be nice to have a general art book thread where people can post up any new art books they have recieved or upcoming art books that they think people might be interested in.

While I could limit this thread to just comic related art, I would rather make this thread about art books in general. Video games, photography, comic art, fashion, etc. As long as its an art book, its fair game for this thread.

I'll start off by posting 2 amazing art books I received last week, The Family Album of Wild Africa & Arctica: The Vanishing North. Both are extremely large books (15" x 12" & 15" x 11") and are chock full of brilliant photography. The Family Album of Wild Africa is an all black and white book that focuses on the wildlife in Africa. Arctica: The Vanishing North is an art book that focuses on the disappearing landscapes of the arctic and its not just an art book. There is quite a bit of writing and it goes into many various topics that are relevant to why the Arctic is disappearing. It can be a bit depressing as its just incredibly sad that such a beautiful and pristine landscape is disappearing, but the photography is without question some of the nicest photography I have ever seen shot in the Arctic. As I said in the "what your reading now" thread, both are well worth their price tags!

I also recieved a new Artist Edition. Amanda Conner's Girl Power Gallery Edition. Its currently on sale for $87.50 at Cheapgraphicnovels.com

For those that love Artist Editions/Gallery Edition and Amanda Conner...well, this is about as no brainer of a purchase as one can make, especially at this price.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just picked up the new Claudia Schiffer art book. There have just been a lot of really amazing fashion photography books released over the last year and this is definitely one of those books. 2017 marks the 30th anniversary of Schiffer's start in the fashion industy and this book is really a celebration of those 30 years. The book is curated by Schiffer herself. That is a good thing as in my expereince, the fashion books that are curated by the actual model's wind up having some of the best selection of pictures.

This book is basically 13x10 and has 272 pages. And best of all it has a very reasonable price. You can pick it up for roughly $40 (the MSRP is $65). I have honestly spent 3 times that price on many fashion related art books and I didn't enjoy those books half as much as I enjoyed this book. Then again, I have been a big Schiffer fan for as long as I can remember. I actually prefer brunette's, but Shiffer was just so sexy and so talented in front of the camera that I immeditaly turned into a HUGE fan. Some models just smile and look beautiful while others have a suductive ability that passes right through the 2 dimensional barries of still phtography. Schiffer is definitely one of those that has that talent.

All in all just a fantastic fashion related art book at a very reasonable price. If your a fan of Schiffer, you should definitely give this book a look

Its currently the #1 selling book in the Fashion Models section of books on Amazon, and for very good reason.

https://www.amazon.com/Claudia-Schif...audia+schiffer
Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Here are a few new artbooks I plan on ordering within the next few weeks.

Playboy: The Complete Centerfolds, 1953-2016

Quote:
With the first centerfold image of the radiant Marilyn Monroe, Hugh M. Hefner masterminded a cultural icon: Playboy's Playmate of the Month. This voluptuous new edition celebrates every nude centerfold from every issue of Playboy, from 1953 to February 2016. Initially published a decade ago, and now comprehensively updated, this must-have edition boasts 734 nude centerfolds and decade openers from literary luminaries, including an all-new essay by Elizabeth Wurtzel on the last decade of centerfolds, and a redesigned package that perfectly captures the complete cultural and aesthetic arc of the Playboy centerfold.

Its roughly 14" x 8.5" and is 844 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Playboy-Cente...B8M26SPYY2VB5J

The Art of the Pulps: An Illustrated History

Quote:
Experts in the ten major Pulp genres, from action Pulps to spicy Pulps and more, chart for the first time the complete history of Pulp magazines—the stories and their writers, the graphics and their artists, and, of course, the publishers, their market, and readers.

Each chapter in the book, which is illustrated with more than 400 examples of the best Pulp graphics (many from the editors’ collections—among the world’s largest) is organized in a clear and accessible way, starting with an introductory overview of the genre, followed by a selection of the best covers and interior graphics, organized chronologically through the chapter. All images are fully captioned (many are in essence "nutshell" histories in themselves). Two special features in each chapter focus on topics of particular interest (such as extended profiles of Daisy Bacon, Pulp author and editor of Love Story, the hugely successful romance Pulp, and of Harry Steeger, co-founder of Popular Publications in 1930 and originator of the "Shudder Pulp" genre).

With an overall introduction on "The Birth of the Pulps" by Doug Ellis, and with two additional chapters focusing on the great Pulp writers and the great Pulp artists, The Art of the Pulps covers every aspect of this fascinating genre; it is the first definitive visual history of the Pulps.
The size is roughly 11" x 10" and is 240 pages. MSRP is $49.99 and the pre-order price is currently $36.75 on Amazon. Its release date is Oct 24.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I stumbled on a really great art book on Bulletproof Comics. Its a signed copy of Marvel Secret Works by Dell'Otto. I am a huge Gabriele Dell'Otto fan and this book looks AMAZING!!

Quote:
A large-format volume traces the intense and prolific artistic production of Gabriele Dell'Otto for Marvel Comics. Its 365 pages and has nearly nine hundred images to discover the secrets and memories of the almost twenty-year career of one of the most loved and respected illustrators of the House of Ideas. All the covers (including those made for the German market, French and Italian) are collected in this book for the first time, accompanied by studies and preparatory sketches and commented through anecdotes and curiosities cared personally by the artist. Almost all of the promotional drawings and limited edition prints and a large selection of unpublished material, or little seen (preliminary projects, studies of the characters, preparatory sketches, coloring) tests makes this publication a must for all lovers of the Roman artist. The book measures 11.8" x 11.8" and weighs 5 lbs. Its limited to 2000 copies and is signed by the artist.

Here are some pictures that show the various layout of many of the pages:

One of the easist art book purchases I have made in a long time, especially since it was only $90 and its a signed limited edition. You just don't see signed limited edition art book for quality artists like Del Otto at this price level very often.

I purchased 2 copies as I have no doubt I will be able to make at least $50-$75 on the extra copy once the book has completely sold out. eBay listing are currently at $150-$225. I hate to admit it, but I have been taking that approach with videgames for the last couple of years and its cut down significantly on the price of the copy I wind up keeping. So as much as hate to admit it, I have become a small time flipper with certain markets.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #5
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Thanks for the heads up on the Dell’Otto hardcover! I’ve been looking for one at a good price for a while!
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote