Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

SKottie Young has a Fairyland and a Marvel Babies coloring books coming out.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I have vol. 1 and love it. I am waiting for a combined haul before i get vol. 2. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but he has plenty of awesome designs in them. I am actually starting to dislike thick books. They just get tedious to color in. I like the smaller volumes. Less weight. I actually scan pieces out of that book and print them on thicker stock. Plus, I want to try different color schemes with every design. Here are two I am working on....all done with Crayolas. I am going to try a few of the above pencils.

Beautiful!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #23
strife87
Spider-Ham

Quote:
I have vol. 1 and love it. I am waiting for a combined haul before i get vol. 2. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but he has plenty of awesome designs in them. I am actually starting to dislike thick books. They just get tedious to color in. I like the smaller volumes. Less weight. I actually scan pieces out of that book and print them on thicker stock. Plus, I want to try different color schemes with every design. Here are two I am working on....all done with Crayolas. I am going to try a few of the above pencils.

These look incredible, very nice work!
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #24
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
SKottie Young has a Fairyland and a Marvel Babies coloring books coming out.
I am definitely getting his Marvel Babies one. I will have to check out the Fairyland book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Beautiful!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife87 View Post
These look incredible, very nice work!
Have to thank Bennett for that. His art is hard to destroy.
I don't plan my techniques or colors. I am random.
I am usually scared to show my pieces. There are some insanely talented people out there.
I have been an artist my whole life and there are people that make me look like a toddler, lol.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Zenescope is releasing a Grimm Fairy Tales box set:

https://www.amazon.com/Grimm-Fairy-T...coloring+books

Its set for release on August 20th and is $34.99. Here is the description taken direction from Amazon:

Quote:
The Grimm Fairy Tales Coloring Boxed Set is a great gift for the coloring enthusiast in your life. Packed with everything you need to bring out your creative side and unleash you imagination. This collectible box not only helps you neatly store your coloring books and supplies it also comes with TWO new coloring books, 10 color pencils, and collectible art cards to share with your friends and family.
DC also has a new one coming called "Harley Quinn & the Suicide Squad". There is no picture for the cover yet, but they do have this picture currently up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Quinn-...coloring+books

The MSRP is $15.99 and its currently on pre-order for $13.36. Its releasing on August 9th. It looks like August is going to be a really big month for comic related adult coloring books.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #26
kaza5555
New Republic

Why is it called "adult" coloring books? Can kids buy them?
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #27
Python
Omega Red

Quote:

I have that animorphia one, it looks pretty good from having a flick through. I enjoy drawing, but haven't done much at all for years now so I grabbed that just to have a play around. I do need some better coloured pencils mind so I can blend etc..

It received some negative feedback for the unfinished drawings (the idea being that you finish them) but I like that personally and there are plenty more books to choose from for those that don't..
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #28
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaza5555 View Post
Why is it called "adult" coloring books? Can kids buy them?
Thier called adult coloring books because the target audience is adults. That doesn't mean kids can't buy them.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #29
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
thanks for the heads up in regards to the "Color my Sketchbook" Vol.1 & Vol.2 by Bennett Klein. It took me all of 10 seconds looking at this picture to decide to order them:

These look good, is the paper in them as poor as the reviews suggest? "the lowest quality A4 paper you can imagine" Or are they worth buying?
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #30
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
These look good, is the paper in them as poor as the reviews suggest? "the lowest quality A4 paper you can imagine" Or are they worth buying?
Its not the lowest quality A4 paper you can imagine, but at the same time its certainly not going to win any awards for paper quality. Then again, what can you really expect from coloring books that cost around $7-$8?

When it comes to photography paper and my platinum and palladium printing, I use some of the best papers the world over, including some of the great Japanese Washi papers. That being said, I have throughly enjoyed the adult coloring books I have purchased thus far from most of the companies that are currently producing them. Again, the paper isn't going to win any awards, but it suits its purpose.

If your really super picky about this sort of thing and just can't stand working on cheaper papers, I would suggest printing off your own pictures to color, that is of course if you have a home printer capable of printing basic black and white line art. That way you can really use any papers you desire. If you have a basic scanner, you could always buy the adult coloring books you like, scan in the art from them that you like and then print them off on nicer paper. Or you can just search the internet for cool pictures. Honestly, the sheer amount of B&W line work that can be found on the internet is pretty staggering these days and since you really don't need to print any larger than 8x10 or 8.5x11, the file sizes you run into on the internet really shouldn't be an issue. Just an idea if you really dislike coloring on cheaper paper. Of course, this would raise the cost a bit, but you would be able to pick and choose what kinds of paper you wanted to work on. I have actually done this myself on occasion. Its best to find the portfolios or websites for the colorists as they usually like to show a progression with the artwork. So they tend to show the B&W line art before any color is added and then show various pictures throughout the coloring process. I found a lot of high quality J. Scott Campbell B&W line art this way.