Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #61
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
With the way technology is going there are always better versions down the road. I mean look at Daniel Bel’s work for Sideshow , easily outdoes the iterations beforehand imho.
I don't think I have the patience for example to wait a decade or so between a lot of the characters I want (if they ever get a second statue made).

Still plenty of characters I'm waiting to get made so I enjoy what I love and worst case I get multiple statues I love (Wonder Woman / Supergirl)
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #62
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
I totally understand the whole supply vs demand, and why limit yourself to 1,000 when you can sell 3,000.

But you also devalue your brand when you overly produce an item, what happens when you sell 1,000 of those statues and you have 2,000 sitting in your warehouse over 2-4 years ? The value of your products diminish over time if they sit in a warehouse, and most will buy used rather than take the full retail hit.

With that logic it should cost less to produce 3,000 and cost should be less. I get that the MTO limits the amount of statues you can sell, but also limits the size of storage needed, creates more fascination to your statues and keeps people coming to your site to ensure they don't miss out.
If I am not mistaken, they are doing it in batches. I saw the original wonderwoman pf, spiderman pf and now Rogue Maquette collectors edition have another batch of pre orders.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #63
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Isn't it the MTO exist if they are not confident the statue will sell. Correct me if I am wrong, but when XM storm was released as MTO, it only have a Total edition size of 420, where in they say their max capped is 999 pcs per statue.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #64
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
collectible
n. One of a group or class of objects, such as period glass or historical memorabilia, sought by collectors.

If someone is trying to resell a $400 Wonder Woman statue and they can only get $200 for it, it's clearly not being sought by collectors and really fails to be a "collectible."
Good post, it should be Sideshow Studio now instead of Sideshow Collectibles.
Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:24 AM   #65
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Back in the days you can even out or even earn a bit with the lower es, and no saturation. So people can buy everything and sell them for new statues when they need space, or lost interest. No stress. Now expect to lose 25-50% or much more if you bought overseas with those 300-600.00 xm shipping cost. Add in taxes to and that's another hit. So yes now if I want something I wait to see what other companies make the character I must love and the scale I want for the ultimate version before buying anything. Let those who can't wait take the hit and take advantage of the loss when they must sell.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 AM   #66
built2shred
Phoenix

When this was a hobby and you could get back what you spent on a statue in order to make space for a new one it was fun... But it seems like the used market is plummeting, you end up selling used statues at 50% less then what you paid for them possible even more, it's getting to the point that once you need to make more space you just throw the old statue in the trash can as nobody else seems to want used statues anymore. Everyone is spending that money on pre-ordering new stuff given the huge selection now a days.

At $600+ per statue I doubt many will stay in this hobby very long. Your better off just buying a few statues you like then move on and never look back... It's really not a hobby anymore as much as it's buying a few memorabilia statues to decorate your house.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #67
Rav
The Spirit

It has pretty much shifted from a hobby of exclusive heavy polystone collectibles to mass produced lightweight hollow pvc/cloth pieces mixed with a little polystone.

Most of the old guard have moved on, or realize that statues no longer hold value due to mass production and a glut of similar characters. In 10 years, there will probably be 20 more Wolverines, Spider-Mans and Hulks made.

For a while they tried and failed miserably at creating different scales, but not everyone wants the same character in 5 different scales.

That is why these are no longer collectibles and are increasingly cheaper in the secondary market. No one will pay hundreds of dollars (revenue 1k+) for mass produced hollow pieces, most are smarter that.

Once sentiment has shifted to reality, prices will plummet further.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #68
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I'm loving Iron Studios 1:10 scale pieces.
I can get 4 nice statues for the price of 1 PF, which takes up ALOT more room.
I bought 2 1:10 pieces for xmas presents this year. They're so reasonably priced!
I only have SS PF Punisher on the way, with nothing else I'm grabbing on the horizon...meanwhile I have 4 Iron 1:10s coming by years end.
The detail and even portrait accuracy really has come a long way for smaller scale.

Can only speak for myself, but I'd say more smaller scale pieces. Costs less, which makes me less picky ( I'm not even the biggest Ghost Rider fan and ordered that IS 1:10 piece), less space, etc.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #69
Incrysis
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

The state of SSC is the pieces are a plenty, QC is sketchy and the prices are too high with shipping....and we all know taxes outside of California will be coming soon but thats a problem for later. Edition sizes are too high especially the EX. I am being priced out of the hobby and also most of the PFFs and statues I have are worth less than what I paid it seems so I can't even sell to buy other ones.
Incrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #70
Mister H
Gen 13

When I first saw Colossus I thought I would do the pre-order thing, then I thought I would wait and order when the ES was announced, now I'll just wait about 2 years and pick him up for less than retail.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote