Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #521
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morton View Post
Then why use polystone? I know that most people in the collectible statue industry use polystone, but maybe someone should innovate and come up with something that can capture those details. There must be some material out there that can capture the details and also be resilient at the same time.

Cheers.
Most collectors feel plastic PVC is inferior and want polystone because its heavy and solid. Pvc always has a bit of a flex to it and thus collectors feel they are 'toys'.

Companies have done some statues in PVC. Sideshow did Superman in PVC (I think) and got ripped apart on the internet by collectors.

Enterbay did a PVC Bruce Lee that is mindbogglingly beautiful.

PVC at this scale is also very expensive.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:59 PM   #522
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

It's just a matter of the uninformed voicing their opinions to such a degree that people flock to it and all cast their hate without knowing the facts. I think very slowly people are being more open to PVC. Blitzway's recent Monroe with the PVC head definitely amazed a lot of collectors.

It's funny how the Japanese industry probably feels the exact opposite. I imagine they are highly skeptical of polystone, and for good reason. Then again resin is a big thing there because of the garage kit scene so who knows.

I imagine a 1:3 Conan in PVC would cost a ridiculously high amount though. Most would be priced out.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #523
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
It's just a matter of the uninformed voicing their opinions to such a degree that people flock to it and all cast their hate without knowing the facts. I think very slowly people are being more open to PVC. Blitzway's recent Monroe with the PVC head definitely amazed a lot of collectors.

It's funny how the Japanese industry probably feels the exact opposite. I imagine they are highly skeptical of polystone, and for good reason. Then again resin is a big thing there because of the garage kit scene so who knows.

I imagine a 1:3 Conan in PVC would cost a ridiculously high amount though. Most would be priced out.
The steel tool alone would be around $75k.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #524
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
I...I see....

Polystone it is then
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #525
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

Quote:
So your going to be buying three than
Sarah
SideShowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:03 AM   #526
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
True, but at least Blitzway knows what the hell they're doing with PVC and how to make it very appealing to the masses. Sideshow sucks at utilizing it. I mean c'mon, you have Blitzway's Lee, Monroe, and their new Rocky II Vs. Reeve, Man of Steel, and Godzilla. It's like no wonder why so many collectors are unwelcoming to PVC. Sideshow scared them all away.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 AM   #527
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Most collectors feel plastic PVC is inferior and want polystone because its heavy and solid. Pvc always has a bit of a flex to it and thus collectors feel they are 'toys'.

Companies have done some statues in PVC. Sideshow did Superman in PVC (I think) and got ripped apart on the internet by collectors.

Enterbay did a PVC Bruce Lee that is mindbogglingly beautiful.

PVC at this scale is also very expensive.
Sideshow's superman sucked though. It not only felt cheap but looked cheap, and having seem lines so visible is not ok :| I can be perfectly happy with PVC if done well. SS did not do well.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:37 AM   #528
Shoo
Hercules

Yeah, that's the crux of it - Blitzway's PVC head sculpts are amazingly detailed and lifelike (after my two Bruce Lees, I just got my Marilyn yesterday, and boy is that a wonderful paint job - and that hair!), whereas Sideshow's PVC efforts have been poor, both in likeness and execution.

It's not what you use, but how you use it.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #529
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Any more progress on this? Dying to see the finished product.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:14 AM   #530
supermgiles
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I second that!! Any updates?
supermgiles is offline   Reply With Quote