Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #151
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Edited for length: Yes, it used to be longer.

Edited a second time.. still too long for my tastes.

Jimbo Salgado: I would still say "+1", because some of it was out of his hands, but his communication SUCKS. I'm the most casual and patient person out there, and he seemed to take advantage of that.

He's a fantastic artist... nobody can deny that, but I can't say his turnaround time.. or his communication.. was on par with most of the other artists I've commissioned from SF (ie, it kinda stunk).

I know I'm not the only person who's had problems regarding this artist on this Forum, as a few of you pm'd me, correctly guessing who I was hinting at as you had similar experiences, and in no way am I trying to hang Jimbo out to dry.. he's a fantastic artist. I'm just saying, in MY particular case, my commission with him didn't seem to be of importance whatsoever, to him, to ship.

Oh yeah.. and the "I'm waiting for the entire list to be done before I ship these off"... I would think that doesn't apply if you live in the same state, within an afternoon's drive, of the client.. but maybe that's just me? Possibly that's just me.
I'm sure some of you have had great experiences with him, and that's awesome.. but I also know some of you haven't, or I wouldn't be throwing him under the bus like this (and, again.. long day, and I figured this is a safe (and justified) way to vent some frustration, right?).

.. and Jimbo, if you read this.. I love your art and you're a very good-natured/genuine individual, and the piece you did for me is beyond amazing, but you know none of my griping above is inaccurate. I'm just providing info that the thread was created for. I DEFINITELY would not hold it against you if I ever wanted to commission something from you again, and you refused to let me.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #152
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

i'll just leave a few for the artists I've dealt with lately...

Sunny Lee +1 ...picked up during his holiday $50 sale. Great art, great packaging

Tim Fischer +1 ...picked up 3 from him recently. Amazingly thorough throughout the whole process. Lets you pick from a minimum of 3 designs that you want to see for the end product. Sturdy shipping

Charles Paul Wilson III +1...great product, great secure shipping

Adam Hicks +1...packaging could use a bit of work to ensure no damages but overall a great experience. Guaranteed a very unique piece with his sense of humour if you hand over full control of the piece

...i think I'm missing 1 or 2 people but that is good enough for now until I remember names
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #153
Mean Green
Fantomah

Charles Paul Wilson III: +1. Great communication, sturdy packaging, beautiful art. Wouldn't hesitate to ask for another piece if list opens.

Khoi Pham (and Jason Hickock): +1. Fast, great art. Jason was always quick with updates. Great experience all around.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #154
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Sunny Lee ++++1. The group here already knows this, but Sunny is awesome. He offered me multiple layout options, and he went out of his way to make sure I was happy. I got the art in the mail today, and it was packaged very well. Perfect transaction.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #155
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Rahsan Ekedal - +2,000,000,000,000. Highly Recommended.

He had this drawn within two days of my paying for it, and had it mailed to me within a week of my initial inquiry about commissioning it.

Amazing turn-around time for an amazing piece.

Love his style, too.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #156
goingbroke223
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

There arent enough numbers to rate how great it was at Pitt con getting pieces from
Scott Mcdaniel
Lee Weeks
Barry Kitson
Absolutely 3 of the nicest most down to earth guys I have met..It was a pleasure to talk with them and get some great art from them..
goingbroke223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #157
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

My favorable c2e2 con experiences:

+ 3 Freddie Williams. Can't say enough good things. Super nice, awesome art work, quick turnarounds, and reasonable rates. If you see him at a con, get a piece from this man!
+ 1 Jonboy Meyers. Great guy, amazing art. Does quality work at reasonable rates. Did probably my favorite piece from the con.
+ 2 Ryan Benjamin. Completely underrated. The pieces he was turning out at the con were amazing - very dynamic with color and different media included. Go for his 11x17 option - definitely worth it.
+ 1 Talent Caldwell. Fantastic watercolor work. Draws incredible women. Try and catch him early.
+ 2 Peter Nguyen. Another underrated talent. Delivers quality color pieces with reasonable rates with great turnaround time. Super nice guy.
+ 1 David Finch. Great art. Try to get to him early so that you are not in his line all day. David takes his time on pieces so if you are in the back of the line prepare for a wait. Had reasonable prices at c2e2.
+ 1 George Perez. Super nice legend. Quickie sketches for cheap.
+1 Lee Bermejo. Incredible talent and nice guy. Was doing amazing free head sketches at the con. The quality and detail were on par if not better than some of the paid sketches.
+1 Tim Sale. Great talent. His 15 minute sketches were more like 30 minute sketches and he really puts thought into putting dynamic pieces together. A little pricey, but worth having in your collection.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #158
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Cesar Gaspar: +2! Amazing art, great communication, excellent shipping! A wonderful experience all around! Thanks Cesar and Magneto!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #159
Smith88
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

John Tyler Christopher... Art is great, if you can get it.

Unfortunately, I didn't... almost a year after I gave him my sketchbook he's sending it back to me with no sketch. He didn't respond to emails until I contacted his rep 7-8 months later then it was constantly "Busy with ________, should have time ________" until finally I gave up, and told him I needed it back for a convention in a week and a half. (Hopefully I'll get it)

Hopefully it will have my money back with it.

Very bummed about the whole deal... was going to be the opening of my Venture Bros sketchbook (Inside cover and flap) at probably too good of a deal... plus I missed a couple good sketch opportunities without it.

*EDIT: If you can get him at a convention not very busy, and don't need your sketchbook for a while he does awesome work... He did one of my favorite Ravens back at 09 Heroes Con (I just gave him one of my sketchbooks for most of the weekend)
Smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #160
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbroke223 View Post
Honestly after the Eddy experience I believe when they have your money for that long then they rely on the customer wanting his art so bad he wont cause a big stink in fear the artist will just say I'm not doing your art now.
Look in the bright side of things. If you would have gotten the art years ago you would have already sold it and spent the money. At least this way you are still owed it.