Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Akihabara
Doh!

Zangief unopened in box, what is it worth?

Hi guys,

First post here on the forum, been reading and collecting for quite a while now and I have a question for you.
You don't see a lot of Zangief PCS statues on Ebay nowadays. I came across a Zangief in the box that hasn't been openened before. The certificate is in the box, the box itself looks great and the tape is still around the white insert.

I assume it's quite rare to see a Zangief that hasn't been openend before, but I can also imagine it's a difficult piece to sell because you simply don't know how the statue in the box looks like.
What are your thoughts on this and do you have any idea what it would be worth? I'm still debating if I am going to open the box

Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
crazy_legs03
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Welcome...
Even though a sealed box is the ideal situation, I would be very weary with Big Z, simply because of the numerous breakages that was found during the initial deployment.

So I would say open and inspect before selling to put the buyers at ease.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
El Pulento
The InJustice League

Welcome... well that is the thing with unopened boxes.. is like pigs in a blanket...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Leckske
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Yep, definately inspect the gief!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akihabara View Post
Hi guys,

First post here on the forum, been reading and collecting for quite a while now and I have a question for you.
You don't see a lot of Zangief PCS statues on Ebay nowadays. I came across a Zangief in the box that hasn't been openened before. The certificate is in the box, the box itself looks great and the tape is still around the white insert.

I assume it's quite rare to see a Zangief that hasn't been openend before, but I can also imagine it's a difficult piece to sell because you simply don't know how the statue in the box looks like.
What are your thoughts on this and do you have any idea what it would be worth? I'm still debating if I am going to open the box

Thanks!!
ABSOLUTELY 100% open it and inspect it. There's no extra value attached to a statue that is "factory sealed". And it won't lose value.
It's still MINT. Unopened boxed statues will only bring you trouble.
Imagine sending it off to the buyer who then contacts you to tell you it arrived damaged or broken - which is quite common with polystone statues. You'd have a big problem because you wouldn't know if it was broken in the first place.
Even Sideshow opens the boxes from the factory and does a Quality Control check. You should do the same as a responsible seller.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Jyester
Kindly Asked To Leave
Adamantium Member

I mirror the previous comments open him for inspection prior to purchase if possible. If the seller is unwilling to do so I would take the risk though. There wasn't a large amount of reported damage with Zangief. Few cases of the leg breaking but nothing like Scorpion or Morrigan.

Assuming he is undamaged MIB he is worth around $900. If you can grab him for any less than that then go for it!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

But if the seller knows he's broken and just says it was never been opened he could say "Oh I did not know that" and you have the problem. This is assuming the worst case of course.
I would ask him to open the box, take some pics 4U and pay with PayPal and you are safe.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Leckske
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Would the value of an AP REG Gief be a lot higher? (signed based by Jerry) ?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Blacksunn
What's another word for Thesaurus?

You could request the seller open and inspect before shipping it to you.

Anyone can say they "opened and inspected but never displayed" and they had it displayed for years and just repacked. I personally would rather have a new one...

If I were buying something like that I would ask they video the opening of the box or send pics of the inspection. Video prefered.

You also have the shipping insurance to fall back on then.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Ballsagne
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Yeah this is why i always look for local pickups. Got lucky that with vega. Its really nice to see in person before buying (especially when talking this much cash) so you know there wont be any issues that could arise due to shipping or lying, but thats probably not realistic with the gief unfortunately. Havent sold a statue before but ive sold a lot of music equipment and even as a seller i prefer pickup so i never have to deal with the possibility of a dissatisfied customer.
Closed Thread