Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #421
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
https://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-...-score-lowest/

Seems to have improved a bit but the audience score is only 57%not 93%.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta...astJedi_1212_2

The Han Solo movie really has to go it's own way.
Both TFA and TLJ are making their initial money based purely on hype and carry over curiosity.
With TLJ the curiosity of the story kinda ends and it becomes a curiosity of what will they do next to make a 3rd movie.

I'm hardcore Star Wars and I can't imagine not seeing a Star Wars movie but the Han Solo movie may show that fatigue is sitting in with the general populace.

Disney may do well to take a page from Han Solo: "That's why I left, to make you miss me"
I don't think were close to Star Wars Fatigue yet, Look how long between Revenge of the Sith and TFA, people want Star Wars, at least for the time being... Marvel has gone pretty long with putting movies out every year and they're still bringing in the bank.

Plus Star Wars unlike a lot of franchises is a multi-generation phenomenon, IE, going to see TLJ, at one end I had my 11 year old niece and at the other end I had my 84 year old dad, both big Star Wars fans...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #422
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Your right I read it wrong... but if you look at the reviews it's mostly jaded fans with their 1/2 star scores which is bringing the overall score down so low... 1/2 a star is pretty ridiculous IMO, it wasn't that bad, there basically saying it's worse then the Howard the Duck movie.
People can be childish and lose all objectivity. Half star is being petty. I think TLJ has serious flaws and I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977, but I will give it a B- as there still enjoyable parts to the movie.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #423
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
People can be childish and lose all objectivity. Half star is being petty. I think TLJ has serious flaws and I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977, but I will give it a B- as there still enjoyable parts to the movie.
This is the problem I am having with the fans right now. They are acting like children and throwing a tantrum. If they strongly disagree with a thing here or there the whole movie is a bust and anyone who likes is buying into the hype. Give me a @%#en break.

That said, I have to say that I am proud of this forum. We don't all agree on this film, but I respect that most people here have expressed their criticisms with comprehensive and well thought out posts.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #424
ottorino
The X-Men

With Star Wars not matter how people dislike it most will go watch the next chapter .
ottorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #425
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Despite the lackluster storytelling with the whole Canto Bight sequence, my biggest issues with TLJ is that Rian Johnson tends to not care about logic in order to tell the story he wants to tell. This is same reason why I went on a rant in the Looper thread.

And does it matter who Snoke and Rey are? It's not just rampant fan speculation that drove those questions. Lucasfilms fanned the flames by making Snoke a mystery and hiding Rey's parentage in both the TFA and other media (comics and books).

I actually thought coming into TLJ that Rey knew who her parents were. There are no hints in the TFA that she didn't know, just the fact she didn't give a last name. So I was surprised when Johnson took the direction that Rey was seeking her parentage and that was a key motivator her. In the TFA her motivation was reuniting with her family, not figuring out who there are. I am ok with her being a nobody. But that leaves a narrative contraction that she's both no one special yet, as the TFA and TLJ showed, she is no ordinary force sensitive nobody. I am also confused as to future of the Jedi. Luke makes strong arguments as to why the Jedi approach has failed. Jedi training lead to Vader. Jedi Order fails to even sense Darth Sidious, and Luke training but failing Kylo. In addition, Luke gives a new perspective that the Jedi approach that there can be no Light without the Jedi was vanity. But at the end of the movie, Rey has the Jedi books and seems like she's going to start the whole mess of Jedi versus Sith all over again with no lessons learned. So was Luke an idiot? Was the wisdom he was suppose teach Rey somehow flawed?

And to Snoke's mystery, it matters to me who he is as that would have supported the story logic. Why would all these humans form the First Order and follow Snoke's every command, even to their death? Sure not just because he was powerful in the force. I understand that it took 6 movies for the audience to get a clear picture of the Emperor, but we did learn how he came to power and why people followed him. And nearly all of the Empire had no idea that the Emperor was a powerful Sith Lord. So I have a logic issue as what motivates the First Order. Why did the remnants of the Empire coalesce and rebuild themselves to form the First Order? Because Goldmember can shoot lightning from his fingers?

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #426
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Despite the lackluster storytelling with the whole Canto Bight sequence, my biggest issues with TLJ is that Rian Johnson tends to not care about logic in order to tell the story he wants to tell. This is same reason why I went on a rant in the Looper thread.

And does it matter who Snoke and Rey are? It's not just rampant fan speculation that drove those questions. Lucasfilms fanned the flames by making Snoke a mystery and hiding Rey's parentage in both the TFA and other media (comics and books).

I actually thought coming into TLJ that Rey knew who her parents were. There are no hints in the TFA that she didn't know, just the fact she didn't give a last name. So I was surprised when Johnson took the direction that Rey was seeking her parentage and that was a key motivator her. In the TFA her motivation was reuniting with her family, not figuring out who there are. I am ok with her being a nobody. But that leaves a narrative contraction that she's both no one special yet, as the TFA and TLJ showed, she is no ordinary force sensitive nobody. I am also confused as to future of the Jedi. Luke makes strong arguments as to why the Jedi approach has failed. Jedi training lead to Vader. Jedi Order fails to even sense Darth Sidious, and Luke training but failing Kylo. In addition, Luke gives a new perspective that the Jedi approach that there can be no Light without the Jedi was vanity. But at the end of the movie, Rey has the Jedi books and seems like she's going to start the whole mess of Jedi versus Sith all over again with no lessons learned. So was Luke an idiot? Was the wisdom he was suppose teach Rey somehow flawed?

And to Snoke's mystery, it matters to me who he is as that would have supported the story logic. Why would all these humans form the First Order and follow Snoke's every command, even to their death? Sure not just because he was powerful in the force. I understand that it took 6 movies for the audience to get a clear picture of the Emperor, but we did learn how he came to power and why people followed him. And nearly all of the Empire had no idea that the Emperor was a powerful Sith Lord. So I have a logic issue as what motivates the First Order. Why did the remnants of the Empire coalesce and rebuild themselves to form the First Order? Because Goldmember can shoot lightning from his fingers?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #427
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Why are people hating on the humor? It’s not like it hasn’t been used throughout the entire series. A fair amount in the OT. I will agree with coming right out of the gate with real cheese humor was rough, but from there it was fine.

I think people need to understand that anything going forward will NOT be like the OT. That was stated throughout this movie. So try remeber when you were young and open minded as when you saw the OT. If you can’t do that, then I think you will always have a strong disdain for any movie going forward.

I personally don’t care one bit about Kylo, but I do like other characters in this new series. I want to see where Rey goes. Does Poe become a general in Leia’s stead? How does Finn evolve? What about the kids that Kylo took?!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #428
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I haven't seen it yet, but will there be another movie after this one?
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 AM   #429
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Why are people hating on the humor? It’s not like it hasn’t been used throughout the entire series. A fair amount in the OT. I will agree with coming right out of the gate with real cheese humor was rough, but from there it was fine.

I think people need to understand that anything going forward will NOT be like the OT. That was stated throughout this movie. So try remeber when you were young and open minded as when you saw the OT. If you can’t do that, then I think you will always have a strong disdain for any movie going forward.

I personally don’t care one bit about Kylo, but I do like other characters in this new series. I want to see where Rey goes. Does Poe become a general in Leia’s stead? How does Finn evolve? What about the kids that Kylo took?!
Well said.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #430
ukshaun
Hercules

Still have not seen the film. Our local cinema is garbage. I will have to wait unti the Blu-ray arrives.

I love the poster. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher. I always sensed Hamill's career went down the drain compared to the name Harrison Ford made for himself. Good to Mark Hamill appear top of the poster.

Without knowing anything about The Last Jedi, the name speaks volumes.
Is this Mark's final appearance? i hope not (don't tell me).
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote