Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
transnicolor
Frackin!

Artist Commisision Price Went Up?

Is it just or has commissions prices for conventions gone up at least 25 percent since last year?

I don't want to name names but some artist who were charging 100 dollars for commission last year, it now up to either 125, 150 or even 250.
transnicolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
TheORKINMan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Thats the economy for you. What hasn't gone way up in price lately?
TheORKINMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheORKINMan View Post
Thats the economy for you. What hasn't gone way up in price lately?
my house value + my stocks
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Serendipity_Art

Honestly, a lot of artists are getting sick of seeing pieces up on EBay on Monday or Tuesday after a con. Some don't care, but artists used to give good prices at cons because they appreciate their fans, then they get taken advantage of.
Also, some just plain don't want to do them, so if they are, they're going to make it worth their time.
However, my guys are great at cons, and so are prices
Serendipity_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just like everything else, some go up, some stay down, and so on and so forth. Keep in mind also, some artists test the water by raising their price, and will leave it there, or bring it back down, if it kills a significant percentage of their expected business.

Considering that many artists are living hand to mouth, or close to something like that, I have no problem with them trying to make more money, as long as their commissions are handled professionally, i.e., getting commissions done on a timely basis and keeping the quality consistent. The only way for artists to make more money, is to charge more, so I understand that.
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity_Art View Post
Honestly, a lot of artists are getting sick of seeing pieces up on EBay on Monday or Tuesday after a con. Some don't care, but artists used to give good prices at cons because they appreciate their fans, then they get taken advantage of.
Yeah, I have to agree that this is likely one of the main contributors to such price increases (as well as the fact that some artists have stopped doing con sketches/commissions altogether). It's sad that people have to ruin something that is meant in goodwill.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I just wish artists threw in a "quickie" sketch in the loop at the Cons that were $50 and under. I would dig having some sketches from artists but when their prices start at $100, $250, etc. and up then that takes us poorer fans out of the equation.

There are some artists that I'd dig just a simple, line sketch/profile like J. Cheung, JS Campbell, T. Moore, etc. but their starting prices are out of the park for me.

Would appreciate something like the quick profile sketches Adam Hughes does for his charity that are done quickly and still appreciated by fans and not something that's as highly flippable like his detailed commissions.
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale Saint View Post
Just like everything else, some go up, some stay down, and so on and so forth. Keep in mind also, some artists test the water by raising their price, and will leave it there, or bring it back down, if it kills a significant percentage of their expected business.

Considering that many artists are living hand to mouth, or close to something like that, I have no problem with them trying to make more money, as long as their commissions are handled professionally, i.e., getting commissions done on a timely basis and keeping the quality consistent. The only way for artists to make more money, is to charge more, so I understand that.
I don't see any of this

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

This trend is moving my buying habits more and more to published art. Commissions were always attractive to me in great part due to the fact that they were more readily available and less expensive than pages but as this changes, so does my desire to buy commissions. I will keep buying commissions if priced right but I have already started to pass on commissions that I believe are priced too high.

A key factor for me is the level of work that is put into the piece. If the artist does the piece at home to bring to a con and puts a good deal of work into the piece, I am more likely to get on a list. The "con sketches" are starting to be priced more as at home commissions - I don't mind paying the price if the detail is there but I don't want to spend at-home money for con sketch work.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Serendipity_Art

I prefer the at home to pick up at con pieces. I just got the pic for my Goblin piece and immediately ordered another. I'm picking up 3 advance order pieces this weekend.
I still prefer commissions, but some prices have become laughable. But people still pay them, so guess who laughs last.
Serendipity_Art is offline   Reply With Quote