Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Simple solution, personalize it.
Good post - my name is "to whom it may concern"
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
I have passed up some commissions due to the artist only doing 9x12 sketches. I have to really want something from them to go with a 9x12.
Ditto.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Simple solution, personalize it.

If I paid for a commission, I should get to decide whether it should be personalized or not.
I have passed on artwork plenty of times because it was personalizsed, e.g., To Keith with love, Mike Mignola.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
Serendipity_Art
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
If I paid for a commission, I should get to decide whther it should be personalized or not.
I have passed on artwork plenty of times because it was personalizsed, e.g., To Keith with love, Mike Mignola.
That's the point.

I like the idea for con pieces. "$150 for personalized, $250 for just my signature."
Serendipity_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
freeform
The Spirit

Personalization is a nonstarter for me, and I say this as someone who has never sold any art I've purchased. If I like it enough to buy it, it isn't going anywhere. Each piece is like a window to another world for me, and personalizing it would be like watching one of my dvd's with "this is freeform' copy" on screen the whole time. Just my opinion.
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity_Art View Post

I like the idea for con pieces. "$150 for personalized, $250 for just my signature."

That's kookiness. I'd like to see how well that will go down with fans... lol.
I don't want to see my or anyone else's name on artwork they had nothing to do with in creating.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

The point of personalization is to make it PERSONAL. If you are a true fan of the artist and their work and you want a sketch to remember the experience of having met them (a keepsake, as it were), then personalization shouldn't be a problem.

In my experience, it is only those who seek out art for monetary gain, who are the most resistance to personalization. Fearing such will damage the monetary value of the piece.

For a published work, which was a work-for-hire job, or a private commission done at home for serious money, I can understand not wanting a personalization on it. But for a con skectch, where you are face-to-face with the artist, having an experience with someone who's work and skills you have long admired, and are getting a keepsake to have something tangible to remember that meeting, personalization shouldn't just be seen as "not a problem," but as desirable to any true fan of the artist and their work, IMO.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Underdog07
Hercules

Now we've gone from flipping to ever selling it.

What makes an artist's (let alone a comic artist's) paid time so sacrosanct that one must never sell their work. Work that they were compensated for. Often at an incredible hourly rate.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
freeform
The Spirit

I think it's fine to sell it if you purchased it. I just don't. I also wouldn't get any work from an artist who expects me to pay them a percentage if I did sell it at a later date
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #30
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Now we've gone from flipping to ever selling it.
No, we haven't. I said that the only people who are most resistant to personalization, in my experiences, are those who view the art solely for its profit making potential.

If you are getting the sketch because you are truly a fan, then you wouldn't worry about having it personalized to you. It has nothing to with NEVER selling it, but more to do with a person's intent for getting the piece to begin with. A true fan won't worry about what they won't be able to get out of a piece, if it is personalized, even if they do sell it at a later date. A flipper will, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
What makes an artist's (let alone a comic artist's) paid time so sacrosanct that one must never sell their work. Work that they were compensated for. Often at an incredible hourly rate.
Well, there was a time when many artists would do con sketches for FREE. What makes a fan's time so valuable, that an artist who's taken time away from paying gigs to interact with them, should have no expectations of those fans conduct. A show where they would end up working anyway, to try and show some appreciation to those fans, who will then take their goodwill and use them as an ATM machine.

It's all in how you view the experience. For me, meeting artists who's work I like in person, isn't based solely on how much monetary value a sketch from them will get me. It's about the connection between fan and pro, between artist and audience. If more people felt that way, flippers would go back to the stock market where they belong, IMO.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote