Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #61
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerun07 View Post
I wish more people thought the way you do. I've had many instances where I want to set up a commission with an artist at a con, and I have to wait for some person at his table to SHUT UP already. I don't mind waiting my turn, but some people... you give them an inch and they take a mile.

Of course, my favorites are the ones that go, "Well, I've talked your ear off long enough... I'll let you get to other people. Oh, but before I go..." and then they go off on another long-winded ramble-fest.
2 years ago i went to a convention, and I was standing in Chris Sprous' line to pick up a con sketch for a friend, and the guy in front of me chatted Chris' ear off for 2 freaking hours. all the while Chris was trying to draw the sketch the guy asked for. Chris constantly had to stop drawing to listen to the guy (who wasn't making much sense). I almost left the line, but the friend I was helping out had picked up alot of pieces for me over the years... Not a fun wait. LOL
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #62
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1977 View Post
2 years ago i went to a convention, and I was standing in Chris Sprous' line to pick up a con sketch for a friend, and the guy in front of me chatted Chris' ear off for 2 freaking hours. all the while Chris was trying to draw the sketch the guy asked for. Chris constantly had to stop drawing to listen to the guy (who wasn't making much sense). I almost left the line, but the friend I was helping out had picked up alot of pieces for me over the years... Not a fun wait. LOL
Ditto. When an artist has a line of fans waiting for him, get your stuff signed, say you dig their work and move on; people have more important thing in their life than listening to you tell an artist that you drew Spidey really well in 6th grade and could've been a great artist if it weren't for their dog eating all their pencils or something.

I appreciate the fans who are talking to an artists then notices me waiting behind them for sigs and then steps out of the way for me to have books signed. Once I'm outta there then they can continue yakking all they want.
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #63
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Nobody's a true fan of Caiera, since nobody ever remembers how her name's spelled/pronounced, or how she looks.

So... as I'm Caiera's only true fan, artists should feel both privileged and obligated to illustrate her for me (after I've given them reference art, of course).
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #64
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1977 View Post

I've told a guy "while we're young?" before when I was at the front of the line and he did this, and the artist laughed (I THINK it was Lopresti, who's great at cons) and thanked him, totally breaking off what had been around a 40 minute schpiel from the "fan(atic)".

If you absolutely have to speak with an artist that long, break it up over the course of the day/weekend. Have some respect for the other people there that might want to meet/commission him. Or wait until there's nobody at his table to engage him/her (though, admittedly, such a time may not exist).
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote