Old 04-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

"A JLU Lament"

This from www.newsarama.com:

JOURNEY INTO COMICS: A JLU LAMENT
by Michael San Giacomo

I'm totally bummed that Justice League Unlimited is canceled, but there are four episodes left and JLU is going out with a bang.

Writer and editor Matt Wayne said working on the unfettered Justice League stories has been a gas, but The Cartoon Network did not renew the series. It will be the 39th episode.

My opinion here, but the people at Cartoon Network did not help the series by airing it 10:30 p.m. on a Saturday night. Could there be a crappier time to air a show? If they were going for a young audience it was on too late. If they were going for an old audience, it was the wrong night and time.

At least we can appreciate the last four episodes.

This weekend’s “Far From Home” features Supergirl, Green Lantern and Green Arrow traveling to the future to meet the Legion of Super-heroes and battle the Fatal Five. This is a prequel to the Legion show.

“I’ll be writing a new Legion of Super-heroes show on the Kids WB for the fall or summer (2007),“ said Wayne. “It will be a takeoff on the classic Legion, but like the JLU, we’ll pick and choose characters to use.“

“The series will end with a two-parter, May 6 and May 13,” Wayne said, noting there will be new episodes tonight (April 15) and April 29th. “The April 29th episode

The April 29 JLU episode was written by Geoff Johns, of the brightest talents of modern comics. “Ancient History” stars Hawkman battling the Shadow Thief.

Wayne was quiet about the last two episodes, but said that anyone who has enjoyed the show will love them.

“Alive” (written by Wayne) and “Destroyer” feature a “knock-down drag out battle on Earth and in space, the power moving behind the scenes of the villains is revealed leading to the most unexpected team-up in Justice League history,” according to the Cartoon Network website.

“This is the end, but Bruce Timm is not done with the DC universe of characters,” Wayne said. “He’s doing some direct-to-video stuff starting with ‘Superman: Brainiac Attacks‘ and a couple others I can‘t talk about.”

Wayne is writing the screenplay for a Hellboy feature “Hellboy and the Sword of Storms” for Cartoon Network that will quickly go to video feature. The story was written by Mike Mignola and Tad Stones.

Wayne, who only came on board the JLU team this past season, said that everyone on the staff pitched ideas for episodes, but that Timm ran the show.

“I guess it’s pretty clear that we all love Shining Knight and Vigilante since we showed them in the background every chance we could,” he said. “The character I regret never having written a word of dialogue for was Superman. I also wanted to do more with Wonder Woman, Dr. Fate and Blue Beetle, The Beetle never appeared on the show.”

The beauty of the JLU was that it was such a wild west show. The writers could pull any DC character out of the mothballs they wanted since virtually every hero on Earth was a member.

They deliberately did not get bogged down with hero histories.

“We don't want go into everyone's history, explain too much,” he said. “We told viewers everything they needed to know about the key players. We counted on those interested in knowing more about the characters to find out for themselves, and most people did.”

Wayne, who cut his comic chops writing Milestone Comics titles like Shadow Cabinet and The World Needs Heroes. His animation credits include Poochini, Static Shock, Danny Phantom and What's New Scooby Doo?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
jimi311
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Thanks for the article posting wktf. The Legion episode was good but I am still fired up about the cancellation. I just don't see JLU not having an audience that would carry the show. I see some other reason for the cancelation.
jimi311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

That Is A Total Fu*k Move, That Show Was Awesome~
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Jesse321
Galactus

Even though I'm really looking forward to the new Supergirl and the Legion show, that still doesn't quench the anger I'm feeling towards Cartoon Network for canceling JLU! I'm really glad that the SATL the will be moved to Kids WB rather than be allowed to be aired by CN as it's painfully apparant that they don't know a good thing when they have it.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote