Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #21
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
for a 100$ i disagree if u really cared about the RROD then u should have researched into the new flacon 65nm chips and waited the 5months. I dont think many people thought the diffrent heat sink would have or shouldve solve many of the problems they were having, but thats my opinion. Im not sure what the deal is with streaming hd movies im pretty sure they are temporary thus rendering the big hd useless for that matter, Im not really sure what the uses of a big hd is .
Who said anything about streaming hd movies? What about demos and Live Arcade games? You could put tons of gaming content on a hdd that size. It'd be like having an entire gaming library built into the system. Sounds pretty useful to me.

Microsoft (as far as I know), has neither confirmed nor denied the existence of this "falcon" chipset. They HAVE confirmed that all new models of the 360 have the modifications to help prevent the RROD. The new models with the HDMI ports.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
Frinky
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

$399 is too much for a Blu-ray player that plays games. It's nice to see that Sony packed in a movie instead of a game in the newest system, showing where they're priorities are for this system. Did'nt they also remove the chip that runs the ps2 games and are now doing it thru software only like the 360? When it drops to $299 i'll buy one.
Frinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #23
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Who said anything about streaming hd movies? What about demos and Live Arcade games? You could put tons of gaming content on a hdd that size. It'd be like having an entire gaming library built into the system. Sounds pretty useful to me.

Microsoft (as far as I know), has neither confirmed nor denied the existence of this "falcon" chipset. They HAVE confirmed that all new models of the 360 have the modifications to help prevent the RROD. The new models with the HDMI ports.
i wouldnt buy 100 more gigs for 100 more dollars for that type of use but thats just my opinion

youre behind on the 65nm (falcon) theyve been spotted in the halo systems, and most people knew they were on there way.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9100
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=623700

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...=623700&st=120
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/28/6...o-trickle-out/
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #24
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Oh well..I knew about the rumor, but I don't think it was confirmed until recently. It makes sense. It's not in Microsofts best interest to tell everyone to buy the new consoles when they've got all those older systems sitting on store shelves.

I'd be willing to spend the extra hundred if I didn't already have the Pro model. The hdd is sold by itself for $180 I think it is. I suppose it depends on the type of person you are. Obviously, you don't see a need for it, but many would disagree. I've got a 20 gig hdd and I'm constantly having to remove stuff to free up space.

From the beginning, I've felt that Sony was making a huge mistake with their PS3 pricing. Sure, it's a good price for what your'e getting, but that's proven to be irrelevant. They should've just taken huge losses on a cheap price to get the install base up and given them a better shot at winning the format war which seems to be Sony's only goal this console cycle.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #25
DSET
The Secret Six

they were taking like almost a 200$ loss 20gig model in the first few months, and 160something for the 60gig.
thats a pretty huge loss in my book, im guessing this upcoming 40gig deal is gonna be about a 100ish to 150ish.

meanwhile i think wii has 30$ profit and recently 360s have been slowly making tiny profits per unit. I think Microsoft started out with a 75$ loss or something like that.

this 40gb ps3 is a monster deal
360 is 350 only 50bucks more for a console with a bigger hd\built in wifi and a bd player
sick deal
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #26
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
The price comparisons mean jack without the games. That proofs in the sales. Whether Sony likes it or not...people don't care as much about Blu Ray as they do about games when it comes to the PS3. I'm sure sales will improve when games like Uncharted and Unreal come out and more next year with MGS and FF, but they've got a lot of catching up to do. As I've said in the past, PS3 will probably win in the end due to Japan and oddly loyal parts of Europe, but personally, I'd prefer to see Microsoft come out ahead this go around. Dynasty's are boring and bad for the market.
Yeah, they probably were taking those losses and they should've taken even more. If they win the format war, it'd pay for itself inside a year. That's all this really boils down to for Sony. I don't know how many more format wars they can afford to lose. They should be practically giving these PS3's away to make sure they win it.

The price comparisons mean jack without the games. That proofs in the sales. Whether Sony likes it or not...people don't care as much about Blu Ray as they do about games when it comes to the PS3. I'm sure sales will improve when games like Uncharted and Unreal come out and more next year with MGS and FF, but they've got a lot of catching up to do. As I've said in the past, PS3 will probably win in the end due to Japan and oddly loyal parts of Europe, but personally, I'd prefer to see Microsoft come out ahead this go around. Dynasty's are boring and bad for the market.

Last edited by Bullseye; 10-03-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Sorry i meant to quote you. No edit took place.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #27
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I just can't understand people defending the PS3. Its an expensive Blu Ray player, that sometimes plays games. I understand wanting to justify spending all that money, but the only people that will really come out winning are those that buy a cheaper more advanced PS3 when it actually has a good gaming library. The PS3 won't shine for another two years, till then the Wii and 360 are more than enough.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #28
xreynoldsxcorex
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Wake View Post
I just can't understand people defending the PS3. Its an expensive Blu Ray player, that sometimes plays games. I understand wanting to justify spending all that money, but the only people that will really come out winning are those that buy a cheaper more advanced PS3 when it actually has a good gaming library. The PS3 won't shine for another two years, till then the Wii and 360 are more than enough.
I agree and I think that everyone is gravely underestimating the wii. All novelty aside, they do have the best dl content. And who says, even though I know they are already in dev, that they cant make a regular controller to play regular games devoid of motion control? PS3 is just a waste right now, it is the bigger more expensive alcoholic stepfather of the useless psp. And at this lower price, you are getting the stripped down retarded drunken unemployed creepy uncle of the psp without backwards compatability. No thanks Sony, no thanks.
xreynoldsxcorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #29
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Wake View Post
Actually its the cheapest BD player and while it maybe expensive to some its all relative. Early adaptors of formats generally pay more than the general public anyway. I paid €650 (which is approx $920) for the 60 gig model. So while the USA have been getting bigger cuts in the PS3 pricing the same cannot be said about Europe.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #30
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Yeah, they probably were taking those losses and they should've taken even more. If they win the format war, it'd pay for itself inside a year. That's all this really boils down to for Sony. I don't know how many more format wars they can afford to lose. They should be practically giving these PS3's away to make sure they win it.

This maybe the case in the USA but there are more countries than the USA. Sony are advertising this as a entertainment system + BD player in Europe. I am not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination and yet i have purchased it as a BD player. I also suspect that any loss they maybe having in US sales they are far in a way being covered by sales in Japan and Europe. The player is still priced at €600+ (approx $950)
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote