Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #51
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

A Bowen Action Juggernaut finished on Ebay a couple of days ago for $225...as with most Bowen stuff prices seem to be dropping.

Both at similar prices i'd still go for the Bowen one.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #52
crankyjammies
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
A Bowen Action Juggernaut finished on Ebay a couple of days ago for $225...as with most Bowen stuff prices seem to be dropping.

Both at similar prices i'd still go for the Bowen one.
I'd say, that price drop for the Bowen Juggernaut is partly due to the Koto Juggernaut, Rocky's vault prices, and Bowen not producing anything.
crankyjammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #53
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Seen Classic Museum Thor's going for around $220 too. Just so much choice now.

Great time to build up your Marvel 1/6ish stuff if you ever wanted to.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #54
crankyjammies
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Seen Classic Museum Thor's going for around $220 too. Just so much choice now.

Great time to build up your Marvel 1/6ish stuff if you ever wanted to.
I wish I could get a Classic Museum Thor for that price
Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #55
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyjammies View Post
I'd say, that price drop for the Bowen Juggernaut is partly due to the Koto Juggernaut, Rocky's vault prices, and Bowen not producing anything.
second that
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #56
crankyjammies
I am da law!

I just had the chance to take a good long look at a Kotobukiya Juggernaut statue in person today and I have to say, I wasn't as impressed as when I saw all of your photos of it. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- This thing is HUGE!
- Musculature is highly detailed
- Good overall paint application

Cons:
- I hate that he's looking down. I had to crouch and go eye level to appreciate the statue more.
- Helmet is removable. Yes, that would be bad. Especially if the guy's face is so unpleasant that you can't unsee it even if he has the helmet on. I get that Erick made Juggy's features exaggerated so that you could still appreciate them even when the helmet is on, but man...that face.
- There's something wrong with the anatomy of the torso when you look at it from the side. It's just too wide. He also doesn't have any neck muscles at all. His huge pectoral muscles makes it look like he's wearing a suit of armor too big for him, but when the helmet is on it's not noticeable and is not so bad.
- Musculature needs to be toned down in areas where he's supposed to have clothing on. But I've observed that Erick Sosa almost always does that to every statue he makes so I guess that's just his style. I'd still prefer it to be toned down though.
- Base's paint looks dull.
- The shades of brown that they used on the chest part and stomach part of the suit are too close and therefore just wasn't distinguishable from each other. It ended up looking like he was covered in one shade of brown. Although, I really liked the gloss on the pants and the color and texture of the boots.

I know that it really depends on the collector's taste but I just thought that it looked better in photos than in person which is not good, for me. All in all, the negative things about this statue overshadowed the good things that I saw. That, plus the fact that it was commanding such a high price in my LCS made me decide not to buy it in the end.

On the flip side, I think I might be able to score a Bowen Action Juggernaut. Fingers crossed.

PS:
Koto and Erick Sosa fans, don't hate. I'm one of you. I just wanted to be truthful and not sugarcoat anything.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #57
gomur
The Tick

Aw, who am I kidding?

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #58
crankyjammies
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post

Aw, who am I kidding?

I know you do, bro!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #59
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyjammies View Post
I just had the chance to take a good long look at a Kotobukiya Juggernaut statue in person today and I have to say, I wasn't as impressed as when I saw all of your photos of it. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- This thing is HUGE!
- Musculature is highly detailed
- Good overall paint application

Cons:
- I hate that he's looking down. I had to crouch and go eye level to appreciate the statue more.
- Helmet is removable. Yes, that would be bad. Especially if the guy's face is so unpleasant that you can't unsee it even if he has the helmet on. I get that Erick made Juggy's features exaggerated so that you could still appreciate them even when the helmet is on, but man...that face.
- There's something wrong with the anatomy of the torso when you look at it from the side. It's just too wide. He also doesn't have any neck muscles at all. His huge pectoral muscles makes it look like he's wearing a suit of armor too big for him, but when the helmet is on it's not noticeable and is not so bad.
- Musculature needs to be toned down in areas where he's supposed to have clothing on. But I've observed that Erick Sosa almost always does that to every statue he makes so I guess that's just his style. I'd still prefer it to be toned down though.
- Base's paint looks dull.
- The shades of brown that they used on the chest part and stomach part of the suit are too close and therefore just wasn't distinguishable from each other. It ended up looking like he was covered in one shade of brown. Although, I really liked the gloss on the pants and the color and texture of the boots.

I know that it really depends on the collector's taste but I just thought that it looked better in photos than in person which is not good, for me. All in all, the negative things about this statue overshadowed the good things that I saw. That, plus the fact that it was commanding such a high price in my LCS made me decide not to buy it in the end.

On the flip side, I think I might be able to score a Bowen Action Juggernaut. Fingers crossed.

PS:
Koto and Erick Sosa fans, don't hate. I'm one of you. I just wanted to be truthful and not sugarcoat anything.
I love both pieces and I completely understand your view. There is nothing wrong with having personal expectations. We all do. You made key observations and valid critics.

If you get the action Juggernaut, you will be thrilled. It is an amazing piece! It is a little smaller and also looking down; but the anatomy is better proportioned and the paint app is a little brighter and better applied than the Koto's. The Shifftlet Bros and Randy did a phenomenal job. Although the piece was done in 2005 and it is almost 10 years old, it is a timeless piece of great craftsmanship and Art! Good luck, friend. I have my fingers crossed for you.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #60
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post

Aw, who am I kidding?

JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote