Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #9501
abubakarhimself
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
So seeing the conversations here I needed to look this up. I know y’all know but I didn’t so I’m sure others didn’t. This is just copy and pasted:

Giclee Prints

Pros
Keeps up with the current advances in inkjet technology
More colors to match the tones of an original work
Uses archival grade inks and media
Prints can be produced on demand
Volume discounts

Cons
Slower to produce each print
More costly per print

Lithographs

Pros
Less expensive per print
Wider range of papers
Quick printing time

Cons
Requires producing 100s to 1000s copies
Color matching more difficult
Long & expensive setup process

I also found this which goes in depth
https://www.jonathansteeleworks.com/...art-print.html

So from what I see this refers to the printing process and inks. If SS uses cheaper paper then that’s just because they decided to use cheaper paper. At least that’s what I’m understanding from looking it up. But a giclee basically gives you truer colors to the original.
Thank you!
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #9502
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

I own both SSC Ross art prints and the giclee on velvet canvas from his store. I enjoy both, but the canvas is far superior, but 3 times the price once gallery wrapped and framed. I usually go canvas for the Batman stuff and SSC for JLA.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #9503
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
I own both SSC Ross art prints and the giclee on velvet canvas from his store. I enjoy both, but the canvas is far superior, but 3 times the price once gallery wrapped and framed. I usually go canvas for the Batman stuff and SSC for JLA.
You mean the avenger assemble?
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #9504
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
There's definitely a huge difference visually between a lithograph and giclee when you see them in person. Of course, the price goes up accordingly--and even more so if you're looking at canvas giclees.

I have several Alex Ross giclees and bought one of the Ross Superman lithos Sideshow was selling. I couldn't believe how cheap the paper was that they used for it compared to the giclee paper. I'll pick one up every now and then if I don't feel like spending the big $, but I definitely grab the giclee version for the prints I love.
Yep I agree. The paper for the Lito is super cheap looking with really poor flat colors. But Ross lithographs cost like 50.00 than the sideshow giclee prints. And some of those ss prints are hand signed as well.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #9505
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
There's definitely a huge difference visually between a lithograph and giclee when you see them in person. Of course, the price goes up accordingly--and even more so if you're looking at canvas giclees.

I have several Alex Ross giclees and bought one of the Ross Superman lithos Sideshow was selling. I couldn't believe how cheap the paper was that they used for it compared to the giclee paper. I'll pick one up every now and then if I don't feel like spending the big $, but I definitely grab the giclee version for the prints I love.
Ah, I see.

My original confusion reading this thread from time to time and going by limited knowledge was that the difference between a giclee and lithograph had to do with the paper. But I was mistaken.

gi·clée
/ZHēˈklā/
noun
a technology for fine art or photograph reproduction using a high-quality inkjet printer to make individual copies.
a print produced using the giclee process.
"65 percent of galleries now sell giclées"

Also I can now say zhe-clay instead of saying gick-Lee like I have been lol.

But I see what you’re saying, the paper for the Alex Ross giclees is better than the paper Sideshow uses for their lithographs. It seems Sideshow should use better paper then, but money. For me personally I’ve only bought the occasional framed art print from Sideshow so I’ve never touched their paper. I’m basic when it comes to this, I just want what I think looks appealing at the moment to hang on my walls.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #9506
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubakarhimself View Post
Thank you!
No prob!
I learned something lol
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 AM   #9507
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jye318 View Post
You mean the avenger assemble?
No, but I bet the JL version of that would sell well. SSC has done a few JLA prints like history of the DC universe, perfect alliance, and liberty and justice.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:12 AM   #9508
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Yes his canvas prints that I have seen are far superior and worth the price. But the giclee on paper I have seen I don’t think warrants the $3-500 price jump.
I have several of his sideshows prints and the quality of those vs the other prints that sideshow puts out is also a huge difference. The paper may be thin but the image is much more colorful and vibrant than the actual prints sideshow is using.
Congrats on owning one. I still just admire at the galleries.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #9509
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Ah, I see.

My original confusion reading this thread from time to time and going by limited knowledge was that the difference between a giclee and lithograph had to do with the paper. But I was mistaken.

gi·clée
/ZHēˈklā/
noun
a technology for fine art or photograph reproduction using a high-quality inkjet printer to make individual copies.
a print produced using the giclee process.
"65 percent of galleries now sell giclées"

Also I can now say zhe-clay instead of saying gick-Lee like I have been lol.

But I see what you’re saying, the paper for the Alex Ross giclees is better than the paper Sideshow uses for their lithographs. It seems Sideshow should use better paper then, but money. For me personally I’ve only bought the occasional framed art print from Sideshow so I’ve never touched their paper. I’m basic when it comes to this, I just want what I think looks appealing at the moment to hang on my walls.
The printing quality of giclees is usually much better than what's used for lithographs. The colors pop more and everything looks crisp. You can really tell when you have one of each side-by-side. That being said, if anyone has never seen a giclee-quality print, then lithographs are perfectly serviceable. Lithographs are also better on the budget.

I have a bunch of Sideshow prints, and the paper Sideshow uses for their own prints is much better than what's used for the Alex Ross prints Sideshow sells. Honestly, the Alex Ross prints from Sideshow from Sideshow feel like they're on tissue paper compared to some of the other paper they've used.
Most of the Sideshow paper prints are decent quality--I just don't buy the ones with the robot signature or the overpriced frames.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #9510
Comicbookguy
Hercules

X-men print is back up after the fake sell out. the 450 es new one! No way 450 can sell out that fast.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote