Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-19-2024, 08:44 PM   #781
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Nice! Congrats!
Post pics if you can.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:50 PM   #782
Brandon
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
It?s arrived! Now the long wait, until I finish off work and can unbox this.
Congrats!

Looking forward to hearing your review of it.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:09 AM   #783
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

JND 1/3 WONDER WOMAN (REVIEW)

I’ve had this in hand for a few days now, and here are some of my thoughts on the piece that I purchased through Sugo. Unfortunately most are critiques, but I was expecting far better from JND.

Once all set up properly it’s certainly a great looking piece, however there sure were a lot of little issues I had with mine.

While I was unboxing it, my first initial concern was that I thought the skin complexion was way too dark, but once properly lit up, it looked perfectly fine. It’s probably just has to do with how silicone catches the light. It’s easy to assemble as the body comes in one piece. And as many are aware, the hand/fingers sections are quite loose and can come off quite easily. In fact as I was removing the wrapping around one of the arms, the hand came off with it.

However there are some issues that I had with the positioning of the silicone parts. This could have occurred during shipping, but I found the following issues:

The Left arm below the elbow, wasn’t fully inserted into gauntlet. This resulted in a 2mm gap. I was able to slowly get it in place, but I was quite concerned at the time that I could damage the silicone as I was pushing the two sections together with a bit of force.

This photo was taken after I had pushed it together about half way I think.

Again with the left arm, the silicone located above the upper arm armband was all bunched up slightly over the armband, rather than underneath the armband. This resulted in quite an unattractive look with the silicone looking slightly crumpled and again showing a gap. I was able to gently over time manoeuvre the silicone underneath the armband using a thin but blunted toothpick.

I noticed this on some others, and I’m of two minds on whether the eyes are perfectly positioned. I find that the left eye is positioned too much to the left, relative to the right eye. However I think I was able to shift it by a tiny amount, but that just may be in my head. I didn’t want to excessively try to shift it and cause damage.

I don’t know if this was caused by insufficient packaging, or it being badly inserted in the styrofoam, but unfortunately the upper left armband must’ve rubbed against the chest armour during transit. This resulted in two lines of gold and silver paint from being removed (equal to the width of the armband), until I can see the white resin beneath. I haven’t fixed it yet, but I may use some gold and silver pens that I have to cover the issue. Note that the metal? armband itself seems to be perfectly fine, with no paint damage on that particular part.

I have also found multiple instances of weak or insufficient glue being used.

First up, I found one of the top straps on the left leg had come loose. The strap piece pegs into the leg armours, but unfortunately it requires glue to actually hold on and sit flush. I’ll need to use some glue, however the gap is extremely narrow, and it won’t be that easy to safely apply it, without getting glue where I don’t want it to land.

Secondly, I found that main gold button that is dead centre on the leather straps that runs over the chest piece was missing. And at first, I thought I might need to contact JND directly just get get a gold button mailed to me. However, as I was packing away the upper styrofoam, the piece must’ve fallen out, and luckily I was able to find it after searching the carpet with my face less than a foot from the floor, just minutes prior to vacuuming!

I hate having to use glue, as there is always a risk of leaving any white residue behind etc.

EDIT: This morning as I was checking over the statue, I saw that the shield was no longer in its proper position. It turned out that the magnets had come loose! And not just one. As I was trying to put them into place, I found out in the end that 4 of the 12 little magnets had come loose! One from one of the straps, and three from the shield itself. This is truly getting ridiculous! I don’t know what kind of glue they’ve used, but they certainly cheaped out.

I also found two areas, where the skin paint app doesn’t seem to have been followed through.

First up on mine, it seems to be lacking sufficient paint on the forehead above the Tiara. Below the Tiara the paint on the face is perfectly fine, however above it looks like a completely different shade. I’m not totally sure if any paint has actually been applied, or if that is the colour of the silicone itself. Almost like the face has a tanned look, but the forehead is extremely pale looking. It’s noticeable if you have the statue below eye level, but once it’s at or above eye level it’s much harder to see.

Also I find the same kind of thing on the armpits. On one side it’s been painted, so that it has a red or pinkish hue along the armpit line, but on the other it’s looks like it wasn’t painted at all, and again shows a pale look. This is a total non issue, as you’ll never see it unless you’re looking for it. It’s just that it’s kind of inconsistent.

This is probably a non issue, because at first glance there was no obvious damage to the silicone, but I found under the hair on the back, a maybe inch long indented line on the silicone. As it’s under the hair I’ll never see it, and maybe it was originally caused by the styrofoam edges of the packaging pushing against the silicone?

I also found a minor paint defect on the rear of the base, where the gold paint has been removed somehow. Its deep enough that you can see the white polystone beneath. Again, this should be a easy fix.

I was always under the impression that the eyelashes were also individually punched into the silicone. However it seems like rather than them punching them in, they’ve either used an extremely thin adhesive strip or simply used glue.

With regards to the hair, while it certainly has a certain amount of body and lift to it, it does kind of look like barbie doll hair out of the box. With each styled section of hair just lifting up independently in the air. I never liked how many had their Mera’s hair displayed, and this is kind of the same. But as mentioned the hair has been styled so that it has lift and body around the forehead. Whereas on the life size busts, both had a problem were the hair lay completely flat on the head. I’ll probably end up entwining each section together, so that it looks more natural.

Damn this list, got way longer than I had intended. While I don’t altogether regret my purchase, as it does look good on display. I can’t exactly return it to Sugo for replacement, as it is completely sold out. I’m now wondering if I just have a bit of bad luck, or others aren’t as anal as me, as most reviews are 100% positive with not a single issue.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:36 PM   #784
azurepred
Zot

It definitely sounds like you got an egg. Sorry to hear that with the pricing what it is. Sugo can’t put in any replacement requests? If there were no replacement options, I would just return it, but that’s me.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:35 PM   #785
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
It definitely sounds like you got an egg. Sorry to hear that with the pricing what it is. Sugo can’t put in any replacement requests? If there were no replacement options, I would just return it, but that’s me.
I just don’t see the point, as most of the issues can with a bit of effort be relatively easy to fix; many of which I already have.

It’s just annoying that I had to do anything at all, especially given that so many JND collectors, have continually said their production pieces arrive in hand near perfect.

Well unless the head comes apart from the neck seam (as has been reported on a few statues), but obviously with this particular piece that wasn’t even a concern. But it does seem to indicate that they can have issues with both their packaging and/or their appropriate use of glue on their pieces.

And in the back of my mind, I’m thinking others could have received pieces with some of the same exact problems, but I find many collectors don’t go over their statues with a fine tooth comb like I do…… actually I use a torchlight and slowly go over every square inch, from right up close as it truly helps to uncover many issues, which can go unnoticed at first glance, even to me under normal lighting.

So at the end of the day, my streak of not receiving an absolutely perfect piece continues. I was just hoping JND’s most expensive piece to date would help remedy that, but oh well. It just proves no one is perfect, even JND.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #786
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Collectors that say they get perfect pieces don't buy much and are lucky. No company ships perfect pieces. Even with the small sample size of JND I have had issues with them also, my 1st Joker was bad enough I had to send it back.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:22 PM   #787
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Collectors that say they get perfect pieces don't buy much and are lucky. No company ships perfect pieces. Even with the small sample size of JND I have had issues with them also, my 1st Joker was bad enough I had to send it back.
The first JND piece I saw in person over at Sugo’s store was the Phoenix Joker. And my instant reaction, was that I chuckled out loud. It was leaning worse than the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or maybe closer to Michael Jackson’s Smooth Criminal pose.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:47 PM   #788
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I just don?t see the point, as most of the issues can with a bit of effort be relatively easy to fix; many of which I already have.

It?s just annoying that I had to do anything at all, especially given that so many JND collectors, have continually said their production pieces arrive in hand near perfect.

Well unless the head comes apart from the neck seam (as has been reported on a few statues), but obviously with this particular piece that wasn?t even a concern. But it does seem to indicate that they can have issues with both their packaging and/or their appropriate use of glue on their pieces.

And in the back of my mind, I?m thinking others could have received pieces with some of the same exact problems, but I find many collectors don?t go over their statues with a fine tooth comb like I do?? actually I use a torchlight and slowly go over every square inch, from right up close as it truly helps to uncover many issues, which can go unnoticed at first glance, even to me under normal lighting.

So at the end of the day, my streak of not receiving an absolutely perfect piece continues. I was just hoping JND?s most expensive piece to date would help remedy that, but oh well. It just proves no one is perfect, even JND.
I appreciate your review - I'll use it to check my statue(s) to see if it's a general outcome, or just your version. I must admit, your QC process seems excessive - I mean that in a good way - but, crawling that far up the cat's ass - well, you're definitely going to find a mouse

I'm passed the point of expecting "perfection" - in fact, I wouldn't even know what that means in statue terms. These are hand made objects, I just expect there will be variations and compromises - especially when you consider the journey these things need to endure to reach us - where ever we are!

I'm not making excuses for JND (they don't pay me enough ) I'm also not victim blaming - I think, it's just one of those things you need to accept as part of collecting these things.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:55 PM   #789
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
crawling that far up the cat's ass - well, you're definitely going to find a mouse
Gonna have to use that one
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 07:04 PM   #790
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I appreciate your review - I'll use it to check my statue(s) to see if it's a general outcome, or just your version. I must admit, your QC process seems excessive - I mean that in a good way - but, crawling that far up the cat's ass - well, you're definitely going to find a mouse

I'm passed the point of expecting "perfection" - in fact, I wouldn't even know what that means in statue terms. These are hand made objects, I just expect there will be variations and compromises - especially when you consider the journey these things need to endure to reach us - where ever we are!

I'm not making excuses for JND (they don't pay me enough ) I'm also not victim blaming - I think, it's just one of those things you need to accept as part of collecting these things.
As far as I’m concerned, I believe most collectors believe in the adage, ignorance is bliss. What you don’t know, won’t diminish a great looking statue.