Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #291
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Well THAT was a fun ride - not what we've come to expect from the franchise - but certainly entertaining.

Lots of clever and interesting bits - along with several "what the heck?" moments that left us wondering what happened (in the script, to the plot, AND to the Director!)

Certainly had the feel of a movie that had been hacked a bit and then stitched back together, as some of the bits didn't quite join up.

The cast was superb (including Munn once you get past her "paintball gun scenes").

The loonies are AWESOME !!!!! - you really feel for all of them, which makes the final act (obviously was always going to be a showdown) a bitter pill to swallow.

By FAR the worst bit was the score whenever they re-used bits/themes from Predator & Predator 2 - unlike PREDATORS which made that work - it was TERRIBLE in this - used at the wrong times and in the wrong ways, as it immediately pulled you out of this movie and made you think of P1 & P2. Very bad decision. They should do a re-cut with that stuff swapped out.

Overall, it was certainly well worth the money and nowhere near as bad as some negative nellies have made it out to be. I'll be watching it again soon as some stuff just happened too fast to follow.

My Son & I put it above AVP-R and AVP, but below the other 3.

I'll post some more tomorrow (with spoilers obscured as I don't want to ruin anything for anyone).

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #292
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Olivia Munn as a doctor of evolutionary biology reminds me of silliness of Denise Richards as Christmas Jones, nuclear physicist. She’s somehow adept with military firearms.

Spoiler
And upon seeing alien tech, she says “that’s why you brought me in”. How stupid does an evolutionary biologist have to be to think the military needs a biologist to study weapons?

Better than both AvP movies and Predators, but that’s not saying much. The story is clunky and makes no sense. The movies makes use of a Captain Exposition” to explain the story and character motivations because the story does a lousy job of it. The CGI is just ok.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 AM   #293
HeavyMetalSpike

I've started making notes about the good vs. the bad vs. the dumb, along with a whole lot of questions about things I didn't understand . . .
. . . the list keeps growing (although I'll admit the "good" list is smallest)

One very simple conclusion I came to (major spoilers if you click on this) https://s33.postimg.cc/e2c1k4yf3/201...ied_script.jpg

Old 09-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #294
Gruson
Suicide Squad

It was good, especially the first two action sequences.
I actually liked the score too with the older classic themes as well as the new theme. It worked for me and needed it because while I liked it overall, the cast was pretty average at best. Story was fun but way too much forced cussing and dialogue.

Wish Arnold made the cameo at the end and said “that’s my suit!” Lol
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #295
HARD
A day without sunshine is like... night.

It was crap. Won't make much money, so hopefully Black won't continue. What a douche.
HARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #296
Gruson
Suicide Squad

I do wish they kept it more serious. I love Predator and Predator 2. Seems like even serious movies have to have way too much comic relief now.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #297
HeavyMetalSpike

Well, having watched this for a second time (yeah – I know! ) . . . the list of bad/dumb/idiotic/insulting is really pissing us off (lol) – so I’ll write that up another time.

There were SO many ways they could have delivered something better – including multiple ideas that could have been adapted or directly lifted from the novels or comics.

I know things went haywire during production and this needed re-shoots, but even if they had kept the first hour, the last 40mins could have been way WAY better than the abortion it was.

I hope they cut the last 5 minutes (from the start of the handkerchief scene) COMPLETELY from the Blu-Ray release - they are THAT bad!

(* sigh *) . . . here’s what we felt was done well . . . (* obviously - MAJOR spoilers again *)

https://s33.postimg.cc/r5d87g3tr/01_-_The_good.jpg

Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #298
ratchet
Mandarin

Very uneven and -at times - cringe worthy. A few really cool action scenes but the story is quite bad. Writers need to remember the simplicity that made earlier installments so enjoyable.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:43 AM   #299
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
I know things went haywire during production and this needed re-shoots, but even if they had kept the first hour, the last 40mins could have been way WAY better than the abortion it was.

I hope they cut the last 5 minutes (from the start of the handkerchief scene) COMPLETELY from the Blu-Ray release - they are THAT bad!

Agree with a lot of that. The jokes were top stand up quality. Loved the violence. Wish they'd used practical effects more for the gore.

Unfortunately the movie didn't take seriously what needed to be serious.
I blame recent movies especially like the Fast & the Furious sequels for making it increasingly acceptable for movies not to have a sensible plot just to get to the next scene or to try whatever idea sounded good in pre-production.
The very last scene was garbage as was McKenna and Traeger's team-up.

I don't expect anyone to really agree but the Predator movies have always been very guy centric movies, the only thing missing from this being a pure 80s/90s action movie was some T&A.
As for Olivia Munn... even though during her decontamination scene I joked that she's so done not even a Predator wants her... I wish they'd made her show her sh!t. Munn's entire claim to fame has been massaging pubescent fantasies so her to trying to have some standards now gets no credibility from me. Tired of roles and actresses chosen solely for their sex appeal (be honest Munn and her character served NO other purpose) but never really putting the chips on the table. There were so many kids with their parents in the theater, movies like this really prove the cliché of our culture's standards that while the vocabulary and violence are acceptable nudity is some uncrossable line of fear.

We went to a prime time Friday creme de la creme Dolby Cinema showing and the theater wasn't even half full. It's going to be a long while before another Predator movie.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #300
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
. . . It's going to be a long while before another Predator movie.
Sadly, I think we all have to accept that reality.

I mean - FOX really haven't got a clue - we got Prometheus, then Covenant, now THIS!

They have no excuse - it's down to Black & Dekker for coming up with this crap, and whoever at Fox greenlit the original script.
. . . and these people do this for a living for Christ's sake!