Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

View Poll Results: Can Iron Man ever recover?
Of Course! All it takes is one major crisis...and the golden avenger will rise! 18 72.00%
Never! His character is soiled for me...he'll be golden again... 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2006, 02:26 AM   #11
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I voted yes, but it will take more than one major crisis. Captain America and Iron Man have been fast friends for a long time. I put up a post about this even before Civil War kicked off. I think something like the scene Tet posted is entirely possible, eventually. For one, I'd like to see it happen. Iron Man's been a favorite hero of mine for decades and I, for one, am not happy about how I feel about him right now.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
ABDGUY
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I think Iron man will recover sooner than Quesada and company... I'm still secretly hoping there is some kind of force compelling these characters to behave so out of character...
Given how fervently Spidey has been protecting his identity all these years... to suddenly unmask himself after one conversation with Tony just sounds out of whack to me.

There is a missing piece to this puzzle and it has to be Loki... I don't know how but this all smells like the Lord Of Mischief's handywork...
This is probably going to be Marvel's free pass out of the whole House of M and Civil War debacle...
ABDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I voted yes, but it will take more than one major crisis. Captain America and Iron Man have been fast friends for a long time. I put up a post about this even before Civil War kicked off. I think something like the scene Tet posted is entirely possible, eventually. For one, I'd like to see it happen. Iron Man's been a favorite hero of mine for decades and I, for one, am not happy about how I feel about him right now.

It seems Iron Man has moved beyond an "anti-hero" scenario and into a "we need to wrap this up" one as more and more fans are being irked as opposed to being captivated by the unfolding drama. Unless Tony is about to be turned into a major baddie, you wouldn't want a genuine distaste to develop among avid and casual fans alike for him. I'm just not buying into the one dimensionality of the present Tony Stark any more. Whenever a character gets that predictable (a polite way of saying, boring), it really is time to either move on or try something else.

Even if it were Loki... or a Skrull... or if they decide to kill Tony... or whatever... I'm not sure the "here's how we make it all better" climax is going to justify the journey there.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #15
whd
Suicide Squad

Even if they don't write his behaviour off now, they can always retcon it later. With the movie on the horizon, no doubt Marvel will find a way to bring Iron Man back to his former glory with an even bigger spotlight than he has ever had before.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #16
masters of evil
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
no doubt Marvel will find a way to bring Iron Man back to his former glory
Former glory??? Wow, I didn't even know that Iron Man had a former glory. Could you tell me which issue?
masters of evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:33 AM   #17
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Sure, Iron Man vol I, issues 116-153 and 215 to 250 inclusive, among others.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #18
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters of evil View Post
Former glory??? Wow, I didn't even know that Iron Man had a former glory. Could you tell me which issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Sure, Iron Man vol I, issues 116-153 and 215 to 250 inclusive, among others.
He may not have shown it much lately, but Iron Man is a top tier Marvel hero. I'd also recommend the early Heroes Return Iron Man issues and almost any classic Avengers story. The recent thread has kept Avengers Annual 10 fresh in my mind, and even though he is paralyzed most of the book, Iron Man is a total badass by the end of it. He holds his own against Rogue when she has the powers of Captain America, Ms Marvel and Thor.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #19
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters of evil View Post
Classic Iron Man stories, Tale of Suspense etc. are the bomb. Villains like the Melter, Ultimo, Mandarin and Crimson Dynamo made the golden avenger a tremendously good read back in the day.

Not to mention his old bad heart storylines...Iron Man used to be my favorite, and tremendously heroic. And a major reason why this whole Civil War thing is such a big disappointment to me as someone who was raised on his comic history.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
Colossus
Loki

I mean Iron Man has been one of the staple Marvel characters for over 4 decades I would say he is on the level of Green Lantern is to DC is what Iron Man is to Marvel. He has battled just about everyone at some point and more times than not came out on top.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote