Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #301
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Only reason Sideshow gets picked is cost . It’s a super boring colossus which is odd because he’s the resident powerhouse and should have been represented as so.
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #302
nearmint
Phoenix

I don’t find it boring at all. And I don’t need him lifting something heavy to show how powerful he is. Having seen this piece in person, his size is imposing.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #303
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Different tastes I guess . I can’t stop looking at that chest sculpt on SS version . It bothers me . The XM costume sucks so it’s tit for tat . Both could be better . Neither will be joining my collection
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #304
built2shred
Phoenix

It would have been kind of cool if SS Colossus was tearing something into two pieces... but I think if you want a Danger Room session setup, Colossus, Rogue, and Gambit do look great together...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #305
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I don’t find it boring at all. And I don’t need him lifting something heavy to show how powerful he is. Having seen this piece in person, his size is imposing.
I like the simplicity myself. I've seen a few videos and people have all said that he looks big.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #306
DANIEL RAND
The Spirit

I spent a couple of weeks looking at pictures of the two pieces, from various angles before deciding.

The Colossus SS's strongest point is the price. Another great merit is that Daniel Bel purposely made a Colossus where the head is slightly disproportionate (smaller) in relation to the rest of the body. The young Russian's legs and arms are longer to give the impression that we are seeing a giant walking.
Unfortunately, opaque paint does not convince that the hero's skin is actually coated with organic steel.

The Colossus XM's painting is absurdly better than SS, and its muscles, each one, has its own three-dimensional coating covered by a convincing layer of organic steel, as if each muscle cell or fiber turns into steel regardless of the muscle associated. The Colossus SS, despite being a beautiful sculpture, does not seem to be made of steel, it looks like his body is covered by a silver mesh with continuous and horizontal lines.
DANIEL RAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #307
DANIEL RAND
The Spirit

The Colossus SS boots are fantastic and nostalgic, but honestly, only the boots. The rest of the uniform bears no resemblance to the Colossus of the Byrne and Claremont era that I grew up admiring. So, despite the higher cost, I decided on the XM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #308
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL RAND View Post
The Colossus SS boots are fantastic and nostalgic, but honestly, only the boots. The rest of the uniform bears no resemblance to the Colossus of the Byrne and Claremont era that I grew up admiring. So, despite the higher cost, I decided on the XM.
Can’t go wrong either way. Post some pics when you get him. I’m sure he’ll be fantastic in hand.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #309
DANIEL RAND
The Spirit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Can’t go wrong either way. Post some pics when you get him. I’m sure he’ll be fantastic in hand.
Combined.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #310
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I'm on the fence, even tho spec fiction has economy shipping stated, i'm sure i'll get stuck with express shipping at $350, still looking at about $1361 for xm version vs SS $748. So is XM really $613 better than SS ?

The wires not being tight bother me, and also the muscles bulging all over the place and lines all over kinda do to (i know some people like this).

I think if sideshow would have released a alternate portrait it would have been better. But unsure and wonder if any more changes will be done from the prototype on SS and XM
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote