Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Kinetiquettes

Old 02-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #111
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Also saw this floating around Facebook....what exactly is going on with that arms muscles?!

DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #112
qz33
Rescue

Ruining of a fantastic statue that's what.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #113
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Got Terry coming in in the next few weeks. After receiving their Mai I'm super excited for him and Dizzy.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #114
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Got my Terry in. Compared with Mai I'm a little conflicted. When it comes to the sculpt, there's no doubt this one is incredible. I don't think we'll get a Terry statue that will top it. The facial expression, pose, the texturing on his jeans and coat and muscles are all outstanding. The power geyser looks really sweet even when you don't have the light on.

Where I'm not as happy are the paint applications on the flesh and hair. I think they went a little too extreme. His hair comes across as almost a green olive shade rather than blonde. It looks like my ponytail wasn't even finished paint wise. His skin is also way too dark. It's like they applied a wash to everything to make him look more battle-worn and dirty. It makes sense for his clothes, but when applied to his hair and skin it creates a very strange effect. I feel like they might have been afraid that the details of his body would get lost in post production and over compensated because of it. It's just not character accurate. The actual engineering and quality control seem strong with this one, maybe even stronger than with Mai. All the magnets are very powerful and easy to work with. His ponytail and head connect via magnets and his leg fits firmly into the base in part thanks to gravity. Arms are with good magnets too. Face looks amazing.

Oh and just like with Mai, their packaging is top of the line. The boxes are aesthetically pleasing and the pieces are all super secure inside. I also couldn't help but chuckle at the fact that he not only comes in two boxes, but the second box is dedicated solely to the power geyser and its base. All of Terry and his base come in a different box, of which is smaller than the power geyser box LOL.

It amazes me how often companies use batteries instead of a USB plug, but thank goodness they opted for USB with this one. You can just plug the power geyser in via a nice red cable it comes with and it has a well hidden switch among the fire. The lights are very bright so when they go through the fire it looks awesome. Maybe they made Terry's skin darker for the contrast to this light.

So yeah my only complaint is that the hair isn't blonde enough and his skin is too dark. I feel like rather than quality control, this was actually an intended choice but I'm not sure until I see in hand shots from others.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #115
qz33
Rescue

Good to hear your thoughts, thanks.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #116
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I wish I could provide pictures, but I just don't have the lighting or camera setup to do so. On display you don't really notice the skin thing much. It was an odd design choice on his skin color, but I'm still really impressed with this company so far. Dizzy is next for me I believe. That one I am especially excited for. I am curious if this is the best jeans ever done on a statue lol
Old 02-22-2020, 01:48 AM   #117
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Thanks for the overview on the statue Gyro. You answered my question about asking for pictures. Do you think they chose the wash to simulate shading on the hair and body? I’m asking because I mentioned the same thing in my overview on the HMO Zero pieces. Up close you can see they blended browns over the white and some other colors which one would think would be for wear and dirt. The white pieces literally look dirty up close but displayed you don’t even notice it and becomes shading around the lines.

I really hope they do Blue Mary, Kula, Rugal/Omega and Goenitz.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:40 AM   #118
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Yes I think they did it in part to bring out the details on the muscles. And in that regard his arms look great. I don't know much about paint so maybe it wasn't really possible to do this with lighter colors. If no one else is getting him I might snap a few photos just to see if I can show him off a bit.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:08 AM   #119
qz33
Rescue

^Go for it!

Just wish it didn't have the skin strip on his arm.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #120
Kinetiquettes
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Dude $1218 for Terry? That's insane for this piece.

I've had HUGE Prime 1 pieces (Gamera,Guyver 1 and 0) ship in 2 boxes from sideshow and shipping was never more than $250-$300 to the UK....$419 is nuts.
We are hoping to improve on this. With the new EU warehouse, our shipping costs will lower for the EU down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Also saw this floating around Facebook....what exactly is going on with that arms muscles?!

A bad angle and lighting. Having said that, this is also where some of the anatomy is not fully realistic as the whole sculpture is stylized and is not meant to look like a bodybuilder but more of a fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Got my Terry in. Compared with Mai I'm a little conflicted. When it comes to the sculpt, there's no doubt this one is incredible. I don't think we'll get a Terry statue that will top it. The facial expression, pose, the texturing on his jeans and coat and muscles are all outstanding. The power geyser looks really sweet even when you don't have the light on.

Where I'm not as happy are the paint applications on the flesh and hair. I think they went a little too extreme. His hair comes across as almost a green olive shade rather than blonde. It looks like my ponytail wasn't even finished paint wise. His skin is also way too dark. It's like they applied a wash to everything to make him look more battle-worn and dirty. It makes sense for his clothes, but when applied to his hair and skin it creates a very strange effect. I feel like they might have been afraid that the details of his body would get lost in post production and over compensated because of it. It's just not character accurate. The actual engineering and quality control seem strong with this one, maybe even stronger than with Mai. All the magnets are very powerful and easy to work with. His ponytail and head connect via magnets and his leg fits firmly into the base in part thanks to gravity. Arms are with good magnets too. Face looks amazing.

Oh and just like with Mai, their packaging is top of the line. The boxes are aesthetically pleasing and the pieces are all super secure inside. I also couldn't help but chuckle at the fact that he not only comes in two boxes, but the second box is dedicated solely to the power geyser and its base. All of Terry and his base come in a different box, of which is smaller than the power geyser box LOL.

It amazes me how often companies use batteries instead of a USB plug, but thank goodness they opted for USB with this one. You can just plug the power geyser in via a nice red cable it comes with and it has a well hidden switch among the fire. The lights are very bright so when they go through the fire it looks awesome. Maybe they made Terry's skin darker for the contrast to this light.

So yeah my only complaint is that the hair isn't blonde enough and his skin is too dark. I feel like rather than quality control, this was actually an intended choice but I'm not sure until I see in hand shots from others.
Thanks for feedback. We are always hoping to improve. Terry indeed has a new QC pipeline and we hope to keep building on it. Painting wise, a lot of the choices were intentional. This is also what SNK preferred. A heightened contrast between the colors was chosen to go along with the exaggerated sculpture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
Thanks for the overview on the statue Gyro. You answered my question about asking for pictures. Do you think they chose the wash to simulate shading on the hair and body? I’m asking because I mentioned the same thing in my overview on the HMO Zero pieces. Up close you can see they blended browns over the white and some other colors which one would think would be for wear and dirt. The white pieces literally look dirty up close but displayed you don’t even notice it and becomes shading around the lines.

I really hope they do Blue Mary, Kula, Rugal/Omega and Goenitz.
Stay tuned.... stay very tuned

Last edited by Kinetiquettes; 02-25-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Kinetiquettes is offline   Reply With Quote