Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Crom
Loki

$2.25 comics gone from Marvel in June

As of June all $2.25 comics from Marvel will now be $2.50.

Personally, am really tired of paying an average fo $3 for a 22-page story. Iunderstand the price of paper has skyrocketed and that the quality of the production is way above the past, but a weekly trip to the comic book store is now about $20 for 5-6 comics. I just don't see the publishers doing anything to justify these price increases or soften the blow. They seem to be satisfied with just telling us it is the cost of producing comics today.

Kind of a shame.

I have been cutting back for years now, and while this increase won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back, I was wondering what price point would stop you from collecting monthly comics? Is there one?
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

Quote:
As of June all $2.50 comics from Marvel will now be $2.50.
ummm....what?
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Crom
Loki

Sorry, I meant to repeat what I put in the title. All $2.25 comics will now be $2.50.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
Babytoxie
Ghost

Wow, can't we go back to newsprint? Mmmm, the smell...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

yea the price has gotten way out of hand . I'm considering quiting comics all together.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Teague
Iron Man

Yeah, this bites, even if we could all see it coming. I don't know what price will eventually make me stop buying...I suspect that it won't be a singular price hike, but rather that after a while, it's just not worth the outlay of cash. Right now, I work one morning a week for trade at my friend's LCS, and that's how I feed my comix habit...I'm certain, though, that once I stop doing that, I'll drop back to (maybe) buying 5 or 6 titles per month again, plus HCs and TPBs.

The really sad thing is that once again, the industry is gauging its priceline against what adults can spend, not what kids can spend. And if more kids don't start reading comics, the industry won't survive more than a couple more generations, if that. It's the old story, but comic publishers don't seem to learn the lesson, do they?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
Yeah, this bites, even if we could all see it coming. I don't know what price will eventually make me stop buying...I suspect that it won't be a singular price hike, but rather that after a while, it's just not worth the outlay of cash. Right now, I work one morning a week for trade at my friend's LCS, and that's how I feed my comix habit...I'm certain, though, that once I stop doing that, I'll drop back to (maybe) buying 5 or 6 titles per month again, plus HCs and TPBs.
That's what made me go exclusively with trades. I can handle the wait for a few months to see what's really worthwhile, instead of spending $2.25 to $3 per issue on something that may be a complete let-down.

Last edited by Zurbaran1; 03-16-2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #8
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I guess 2.50 would be the last price grade I'd pay. Anything beyond that, I just can't stay with. Wish I could but honestly some stories are so short and they tend to be 3 bucks. I guess I'll have to move to trades.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Mr. Mojo
Frackin!

This may finally force my hand and start me cutting back like I've always promised myself I would. The quality just isn't there anymore to justify another price hike. On the positive side though, alot of the books are so late anyways that I probably won't be spending all that much more since I won't be receiving them on a regular basis
Mr. Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

They continue to rip everyone off with the Ultimates line and some of the minis as well. Put a cardstock cover on it (which is hard to keep in good condition) and charge more.
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote