Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #71
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
No new information. The rules are laid out clearly in post 1 of this thread.

In addition both you and risingstar have been given Danny’s personal # to discuss aspects of this development in further detail but have chosen not to call. Fine, that’s your choice. But don’t then in turn come on here and make a comment like “I guess we shouldn’t be surprised” in an attempt to drum up sympathy as if we’re now trying to censor you guys when we’re not. I’m sorry if I’m coming off a little irritated but I take offense to that comment personally.
I didn’t call Danny because I don’t like this being hashed out behind the scenes. This topic should be transparent, and since Danny started this thread and welcomed comments, I’m commenting.

I’m yet to hear any legitimate reason for this new policy. I’m an active member of three message boards, and this is the only one blocking YouTube links. Why is that?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #72
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I didn’t call Danny because I don’t like this being hashed out behind the scenes. This topic should be transparent, and since Danny started this thread and welcomed comments, I’m commenting.

I’m yet to hear any legitimate reason for this new policy. I’m an active member of three message boards, and this is the only one blocking YouTube links. Why is that?
I'm glad you're an active member in 3 message boards. I can't speak on behalf of any other board because I only own this one. You have to understand that by owning this forum, I deal with the headaches. If the server goes down, I have to pay someone to fix it, not you. If a manufacturer is upset, I have to deal with it, not you. So, while those are my responsibilities, I have to do what I feel is best for this forum.
You might feel that using this forum as a springboard for your YouTube channel is best for this forum. That's great. But, you don't get to make that choice here. In addition, I don't need to be open with you or anyone else about specific conversations that I have with others. I have always had the best interest for this forum and if you feel differently, I'm good with that. I can't make everyone happy.
A decision has been made. Certain reasons were given. I clearly said if something changes I will post it. I haven't so that means nothing has changed. I will not give any more reasons so please stop asking. If and when I decide to do so, I'll post it here. Until then, you need to let it go. Your subscribers will survive. They should get a notice whenever you post a new video. My apologies in advance if the forum is not giving you more new subscribers. Also, sadly, I haven't seen any of your videos. I'm sure they're great and I'm also sure that just like you use this forum to promote your videos, you use your videos to promote this forum and all others. We all appreciate it.

Last edited by d rod; 03-16-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #73
nearmint
Phoenix

I have no concern about my number of subscribers, or how many hits my videos generate. I don’t make a red cent off my channel, and don’t expect that I ever will. I have never depended on Statue Forum to act as a springboard for either subs or hits. That you would declare that I have, especially after admitting that you haven’t watched my videos, is a bit puzzling.

Also, I’m not coming at this simply because I want to be able to link my channel here. I want Sisko’s channel, I want Bmutha’s channel, and I especially want to see channels by new reviewers on the scene. If you think my posts in this thread are all about me, you’re missing the point entirely.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #74
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I’m not coming at this simply because I want to be able to link my channel here. I want Sisko’s channel, I want Bmutha’s channel, and I especially want to see channels by new reviewers on the scene. If you think my posts in this thread are all about me, you’re missing the point entirely.
We all want the same thing. We simply can’t have everyone who has or knows of a YouTube channel posting endless links throughout the threads anymore because it’s an impossible task to ask us as moderators to manage/view them all. We can however manage them easily if they are shared through our channel and that’s why we wanted the help from you and others like you to build that up. Creating a platform for you all to still share rather than just taking anything YouTube related off the forum entirely seemed like a better option.

In a perfect world we’d allow links from those, like yourself, that we know are on the up & up, but that’s not how rules work. They need to be enforced universally and without favoritism for people to respect and abide by them. Someone sees you or another respected forum member like you posting a link, they’re automatically going to assume it’s okay for them to do the same simply because they’ve seen it done before, often times without even knowing there’s even a rule in place. Then we get the “why is okay for this person and not me” cries.

Anything Statue Forum gains by having a dedicated YouTube channel for it’s community is given back to it’s community. The channel has existed for years and we’ve done nothing with it because with members posting links there wasn’t much use for it. If you don’t want to use it that’s fine but nothing is going to change in regards to posting links to YouTube channels, personal websites, blogs etc. for the foreseeable future. No further explanation is owed as to the why and how this decision was made.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #75
nearmint
Phoenix

Clearly Danny can make whatever decision he likes and we have no choice but to accept it. Just as clear is that there’s something going on at Statue Forum that isn’t happening at other message boards. You emphasized the burden of moderating YouTube links, but that pressing burden doesn’t seem to exist anywhere but here. With that in mind, it’s only natural for people to look at an action that reduces the content quality on SF and wonder what the heck is going on.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #76
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Clearly Danny can make whatever decision he likes and we have no choice but to accept it. Just as clear is that there’s something going on at Statue Forum that isn’t happening at other message boards. You emphasized the burden of moderating YouTube links, but that pressing burden doesn’t seem to exist anywhere but here. With that in mind, it’s only natural for people to look at an action that reduces the content quality on SF and wonder what the heck is going on.
Well, on Facebook there isn't an "Owner" of any group other than "Facebook" so any posting of video with recasts or unlicensed products goes completely unregulated. The only way Facebook regulates itself is by widespread public opinion. Whereas forums like Statueforum has owners who can be mailed cease and desist letters from manufacturers and can face legal challenges.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #77
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Instead of mods having to spend time on every youtube video to be sure there are no issues Danny's taken this approach.

Last edited by JadeGiant; 03-20-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #78
risingstar
Jedi Order

I am not trying to push the "blank". I'm simply trying to explain where we're coming from. Just the mention of the "blank" gets the post deleted. It's difficult having an open dialogue on this when that's the kind of response that awaits. Anyway, I get it.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #79
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Well, on Facebook there isn't an "Owner" of any group other than "Facebook" so any posting of video with recasts or unlicensed products goes completely unregulated. The only way Facebook regulates itself is by widespread public opinion. Whereas forums like Statueforum has owners who can be mailed cease and desist letters from manufacturers and can face legal challenges.
I’m not referring to Facebook. The other statue message board and the CGC message board haven’t taken any action concerning YouTube links, or mentioned any moderating burdens concerning them. This entire issue seems to only affect Statue Forum. That seems odd.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #80
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Ok, I think everyone has had a chance to vent and repeat their point. Until I have an update, this thread is closed. If you feel the need to inform us of anything, feel free to pm me.

Why not try to make the best of what you consider a bad situation? Sorry that it cannot go your way. Maybe it will change sooner than later. Until then, please move on and try to do something positive. I get it, you don't like it, it's not fair, why this forum and not the rest.

I'm not going to spill all the details. I've said what I feel that I should. I think over the past 15 years we've been pretty fair. If you feel cheated because you can't do what you want, sorry. Let's see what happens after I sort everything out. For the record, that won't happen by Tuesday. Please, stop whining, we know, we know. The constant complaining or jabs will not change anything. If you care about the forum, get past it, be patient though it sounds like an impossible task, support your forum even if you might not agree with everything. I think you've obtained quite a bit from this forum (friends, enjoyment, information...) that you can do that much.

Thanks

Last edited by d rod; 03-17-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo / added missing adjectives/nouns
Closed Thread